Pure Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pure Country Reviews

½ August 15, 2009
This is a great movie to say the least. It's the best biographical movie that I've ever seen, and one of the best period. It tells the story of the best country singer, George Strait. George Strait is a great actor in this movie. Yes, you'll actually see him get upset for once while he acts out the highs and lows of his career in this movie.
This movie made me respect George Strait more for what he had to go through to become the superstar that he is and there couldn't be a better ending to a great movie. Along with the great music that you'll hear in this movie, this is one of the top ten movies of all time in my opinion. If you're a George Strait fan or even if you're not, this is a GREAT movie and deserves to be ordered by anyone. NOTE: This was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I've seen this film several times since then and still love it, not only because I'm a big George Strait music fan, but it's a great movie to watch in itself, and even non-country music fans should watch!
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
fantastic, geaorge strait should act more
iLeo
½ December 26, 2007
A favorite.
broadwaymo
May 23, 2007
The wife is a HUGE George Strait fan, but I must admit that...I don't get it. This movie didn't help me, either.
September 15, 2014
George Strait was great in his big screen debut and it resulted in some of the best music he ever sang in I Cross My Heart. This film is defintiely underrated and will surprise you once you watch it since you can get engrossed in what it feels like to be a huge star.
August 24, 2013
When singers try their hand at acting, the end result is usually less than stellar, but George Strait's film debut is saddled with more problems than just his blandly likable lead performance. "Pure Country" also has a story riddled with cliches, one that is so familiar and predictable that it didn't need to be told one more time.

Strait is essentially playing himself, and he's pretty successful at that, but his down-home charm and admittedly good looks can't cover up the fact that he has very little chemistry as an actor. The camera and director Christopher Cain obviously love him. You can tell that from the glorified way that he's filmed, especially in the concert scenes, but he isn't much of an actor.

The movie also falters in the other key area in which it should have shined and that's the music. I've never really been a fan of country music, but I like it when it's good. Here the songs are surprisingly weak for a film that showcases the entertainer as prominently as this one does. It doesn't represent his best work, but I'm sure his fans would disagree.

They will also probably eat up the homespun humor and the benign, dull relationship that develops between the star and Isabel Glasser. Like the rest of the film, it's all very nice and non-threatening, but there's not much to keep you watching. If you're a fan of the leading man and this particular genre of music, then you'll find a lot to love in "Pure Country". I found it to be vacant and grossly under nourished.
June 25, 2008
An impressive debut and a chart topping soundtrack makes this movie a crowd pleasing film to watch. George Strait stars as a country singer who decides to find himself and recapture the love that has been missing in his life for so long. A must for George Strait, country music and romance fans everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ November 30, 2009
This it one of my all time favorite movies! I definitely recommend watching it if you are in the mood for a romantic story that's actually very true to the real life scenarios and places George Strait has preformed and things that he's done in his life. I'm from Texas and I've seen him at rodeo's roping in his past. This is a great story that tells just how hard it is to be a music superstar preforming to 80,000 + people a show and the ups and downs that comes with it all! He sings many of his hit songs throughout the film..it's Must see to appreciate! It may not be for you if you don't like country music or rodeo's but, who knows you may like it more than you'd expect to.
November 24, 2009
Not too bad, George Straight's acting is a bit stiff, but he gives it a good try. It starts out a little slow but the last hour is fine. Great music and it does entertain.N
October 24, 2009
This isn't based on a true story. This isn't a true story about George Strait's life as a lot of people believe. It's just a good film with George Strait.
½ September 3, 2009
George Straitt acting? Yep, staying within his comfort zone, he carries it well. Very underrated movie!!
August 26, 2008
Awesome movie especially since I love country music and Gorge Straight is one of my favorite country singers, who plays the main character in the movie.
½ June 27, 2009
I love this movie. George as Dusty, a country singer who needs a break from the lime light and falls in love, PRICE LESS..........
June 3, 2009
George Strait really did a great acting debut for this movie. It is a great story, definitely worth watching
March 18, 2009
This is my all time favorite movie. I have been trying to add it to my collection but haven't been able to find it in any stores. I like the fact that Dusty goes back to the way things were before he was famous and of course finds love along the way.
½ August 21, 2008
george strait should stick to what he knows, singing which he does wonderfully but the movie, hate to say it but blech!
½ March 26, 2015
You people suck No sex or violence so of course you don't like it
½ May 8, 2014
Sensitive and undeniably heartwarming, Pure Country delivers a memorable performance by one of country's greatest musicians, George Strait, as well as a solid female performance by Isabel Glasser.