• R, 2 hr. 3 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Pushing Tin Reviews

Anthony L

February 15, 2013
Pushing Tin is quirky. I usually like quirky but I didn't like this much. I can see what they were trying to achieve and I'm not sure why it didn't work. If I'd read the script I probably would have cast exactly the same people. I didn't think anyone was on bad form, the script was OK and the story wasn't that bad and when a film is good, why not make it that little bit longer but here it just felt overlong and unconvincing. I really can't put my finger on why I didn't like it, maybe the dialogue and some of the questionable comedy just didn't work for me, I don't know. It well may be that it is dated now. Post 9/11 it does seem harder to laugh at near misses in the sky and the title scene where they quote a line about Thousands of safe landing a year but everyone makes a fuss over one near miss - while flying past the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre doesn't exactly read well these days. Much like Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie's marriage, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Too harsh?
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 4, 2012
Pushing Tin is a very entertaining film that blends comedy and drama. I thought that the film was very well done, and I much preferred it the second time around. This is a well acted film with a great cast. John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton are great here, and they make the film work. This is an entertaining film, and the characters are very intriguing and keep you involved. The plot of the film is very good, layered with a well written script and it has good directing provided by Mike Newell. This is a well put together film that if you want a different type of comedy, is definitely worth checking out. The film has its flaws, but Cusack and Thornton are able to constantly make entertaining and worthwhile that you end up not caring so much about its imperfections. Pushing Tin is a refreshing comedy, one that has some great characters, each with an interesting back story. Thornton however steals the show and he delivers the energy that makes this one worth watching. There's also a serious tone to the film, and it adds more atmosphere. If you want a different type of comedy film, then give this film a shot. The performances are great, the jokes are well written, and the directing is very well done. However to appreciate this film a bit more, you may need to watch it a second time as it's offbeat humor may not appeal straight away. The film grows on you after a while, and in the end, you realize how good this film really is. A definite must see Pushing Tin is a truly unique and eccentric comedy drama film.
cosmo313
cosmo313

August 13, 2009
The films is pretty good, then it falls apart and doesn't quite recover. The performances are the best part, and I liked that this film was about a subject that hasn't been shown on screen before. Too bad the screenplay craps out, otherwise this would be a far better film. I'll be nice and give it a solid B-.
Luke B

July 2, 2008
A wonderful film about becoming the second best. Cusack is his perfect self, he represents the insecure everyman who is given a run for his money by the "interesting" Billy Bob Thornton. Thornton's character of Russel is brilliant, he's slightly odd, quite slimy and maybe a tad evil without ever being these things. It's how Cusack and others play off him that really create such a sinister being. Jolie is perfect, she's never looked better and her role is fantastic although she has a lack of screen time. Blanchett is also reduced to playing a typical wife, though her innocence and chemistry with Cusack do create someone sympathetic. The film is often laugh out loud, but overall it's not the most memorable of the bunch.
A B

October 23, 2007
Very watchable movie about male competitiveness
Cindy I

August 25, 2007
Only watched this because John Cusack was in it. I'm willing to give pretty much any film he's in a chance. This time? Wish I hadn't.
garyX
garyX

April 25, 2007
I'm normally a fan of John Cusack, but this so-called comedy drama is nothing but Cusack and Thornton comparing dick length combined with new age bullshit, surrounded by obnoxiously macho ass holes in bad shell suits. Every character in it is thoroughly unlikeable and the only reason I could see for sitting through it is so pervs can super slo-mo the completely gratuitous Jolie nipple shots on their DVDs. A rare miss from Mr. Cusack.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 26, 2007
very entertaining flick, one of cusack's best
Michael G

November 28, 2006
I was hopeful but at least I got to see Angelina Jolie's nipple. Thornton's character was kind of neat but that was about it.
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
I liked it.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
A comedy about men that work in an air traffic control tower. That could be good stuff, and it is for the most part. Everything that goes on involving work is pretty good. When it comes to the women issues, it's kinda meh, but still it's got a good cast, and it's enough fun to see.
Joseph E

April 2, 2009
Cusack kils th big screen in "Pushing Tin, and that's a compliment.
Ina S

March 26, 2006
Pretty dull.
rodjeckrich
January 16, 2013
I don't think I even made it all the way through this one. Ground control, this movie sucks. Got that? over and out.
July 8, 2006
There are two things that make this movie interesting. 1) Its excellent portrayal of air traffic controllers' hectic day on the job - made me tense just watching it. 2) The acting from both John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton. Although the script has some rough patches, particularly the last 15 minutes or so, these two are just fascinating on screen interacting with each other. That kept me watching the entire way through. It's a solid drama until the very end, where it seems to be rushing to find an amenable-to-everyone ending, but it doesn't ruin the rest of the movie, so it's still worth watching.
March 5, 2009
Finally was able to bring myself to watch this movie since AJ and Billy Bob have been broken up for quite some time now. Actually wasn't too bad; not fantastic but didn't feel like a waste of time either.
xcalibr377
December 10, 2008
50/50. I'll humbly admit, maybe I only got half of the movie...the whole you make your life what it is. The other half was too dark for this film.
Caspian0
August 1, 2008
I liked it. It was funny and entertaining. John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton played good rivails.
Angelina Jolie was a bit werid. The ending was, for lack of a better word, sweet.
cherrypop77
July 25, 2008
The combination of Billy Bob and John was great. They are both typically manly without being macho. But macho is what this movie is about. Testosterone abounds. Throw Angelina in with the two of them and yeah, supergood.
Ida K

April 14, 2007
Kid: Air traffic controllers have the highest rates of clinical depression, nervous breakdowns, heart attacks and alcoholism of any profession.
Nick: Don't forget suicide, kid.