Putty Hill Reviews

Harlequin68
½ February 21, 2011
"Putty Hill" is a low key and naturalistic movie that takes place after Cory has overdosed at the age of 24. As we find out through interviews conducted with various characters(by director Matthew Porterfield which are reminiscent of Peter Watkins' historicals), there is a lengthy history of violence and early deaths in this Baltimore neighborhood, not to mention prison sentences.(Even the play is violent in the early paint ball scene.) Violence is so commonplace that a group of high school girls are merely inconvenienced when they have to vacate a park after an armed robbery in the area. So, it is ironic that the one thing to bring everybody back together is a funeral, including Zoe(Zoe Vance) who is uneasy in her return from Delaware. And the final sequence serves to bring events full circle, just as the characters simply go round and round in their lives.
½ January 23, 2012
Strange documentary-style movie. Worth a rental...I guess.
December 10, 2011
Complete and total crap. A beautifully realized portrait, my ass - my 12-year old kid has made better movies than this overblown drivel. This movie was so slow and boring, it still had no pacing, even though I played it at 2x speed. Bad acting, poor sound, useless dialog and no plot. 97 mins you'll wish you had back, you've been warned.
½ February 18, 2011
This curious blend of documentary and narrative, held together less by any plot device than by a rigorous aesthetic, proves all the more effective for being in service of casual naturalism.
½ November 18, 2011
Shhhh....turn up the volume a little, don't talk. Just watch and notice how it sneaks up on you.
November 22, 2011
I wanted so to like this movie. Being from Baltimore, and having grown up in a social milieu not very dissimilar from the characters created by Porterfield, I was prepared to give it more than the benefit of the doubt. But it was so poorly acted, the narrative so confused, and filmmaking so naively and obviously straining to be arty, I could only cringe. Worst of all, though, is that at heart PUTTY HILL is a tedious morality tale that imagines its insights to be original and provocative. There is an ugly hint of contempt.
½ March 20, 2011
The movie's low budget is too glaring to keep one involved in Porterfield's morose world. The shots are often uninteresting and has too little "pop" to make up for the often excruciatingly long shots/silences that seem more like filler than any sort of artistic statement. I attribute the good reviews to critics trying to find something where there is actually nothing.
April 13, 2011
Like cutting school and ending up stoned in an unfamiliar place. Or like being stoned in school with a familiar face. Or...
April 3, 2011
this movie was disappointing. it was far too long for a film that had no point.
March 19, 2011
The most pretentious film of the year.
March 11, 2011
Playing at the Charles
February 24, 2011
Unwatchable. Truly!
It's the Emperor's New Clothes.
½ February 21, 2011
Dear God--an art film I liked!
Harlequin68