Radio Flyer Reviews

FilmFanatik
August 15, 2007
An interesting story, but not all that memorable.
½ December 22, 2010
Sweet, sappy and predictable.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ December 25, 2008
"Powered by imagination."

A father recounts a dark period of his childhood when he and his little brother lived in the suburbs.

REVIEW
Not much material nearly grounds "Radio Flyer" pretty quick, but in the end the film is somewhat enjoyable and almost becomes one of the biggest surprises of the 1990s. Tom Hanks tells his two young sons about a dark time when he (Elijah Wood in the flashbacks) and younger brother Joseph Mazzello moved to the suburbs in California with mother Lorraine Bracco. Almost immediately she meets trouble-maker Adam Baldwin (his face barely seen throughout the film) and marries him. It is crystal clear that Baldwin is a child abuser, always choosing Mazzello as his target. A plan develops very quickly by the two youngsters to turn Mazzello's new wagon into a flying machine so he can get away from Baldwin's abuse. The film has many holes in it, but it still remains interesting nonetheless. Co-directors Richard Donner and David M. Evans almost turn the movie into a whimsical fantasy and I am not sure that was a good thing. It also seems that a lot of trouble went into Wood and Mazzello's plan when it would have been so much easier to go to their mother or local police officer John Heard and explain the situation. The film-makers wanted to show the movie through a child's point-of-view ala "E.T.---The Extra-Terrestrial", but a truly gifted director like Steven Spielberg is one of the few people that could pull that off successfully. "Radio Flyer" is above average and still pretty good in spite of numerous shortcomings. Ben Johnson adds an endearing cameo and really should have had a little more airtime.
November 19, 2009
A powerful story about brothers. It has great performances from Elijah Wood and Joseph Mazzello. It is a very brave film and doesn't shy away from risque topics. In fact, the subject matter is quite mature and unlike the majority of kids movies.
February 26, 2007
A good one with kids who belive they can build a flying machine.
½ August 1, 2007
Sort of hard to watch, but good. The boys were excellent and really got into the roles, which makes a difference.
iLeo
½ December 12, 2007
Fantastic film!
toejambaseball24
½ August 4, 2007
One of those movies that you love when you're a kid, but when you watch it again when you're older, it doesn't have the same effect.
½ March 10, 2010
I absolutely love this movie. It is so moving it will have the toughest person crying. I wanted to kick their mother's ass when i watched this movie. it is about 2 boys who try to escape their situation and the way they do it is great!
½ March 28, 2009
This movie has a lot of heart. Elijah Wood is amazing as usual! One of the best child actors I have ever seen.
½ July 9, 2008
A bittersweet movie about two boys with a mean stepfather that decide to build a working airplane to fly away to freedom. Tom Hanks narrates.
June 4, 2008
Get your tissues handy for this one.....it's a very moving story of two brothers and there messed up mothers boyfriend and there desperation to get away
August 11, 2007
Better than I thought it was going to be. It ended a little weird though. Also, why isn't Tom Hanks credited for his great narration?
January 11, 2008
Two brothers deal with an alcoholic stepfather who beats the youngest. They plot for his escape by building an airplane out of his radio flyer wagon.
January 30, 2008
one of the sad movie from my childhood. i cant believe my mother let me watch a movie about child abuse
October 9, 2007
This is such a good movie about a disfuntional home and how siblings have to stick together to survive.
½ October 7, 2007
Cool! For anyone whoever has imagined there wagon was some more than a wagon. Great story. Loved the 2 brother characters. Lots of imagination!
August 30, 2007
A great movie, one that I remember watching as a child. The children were great characters, and the story behind it was fantastic. I loved Sampson the turtle! However it could have moved faster than it did. A definite must-see for Drama fans.
½ August 18, 2007
This one is a sad one! Elijah Wood and the kid from Jurrassic Park (red head boy) tell their story about growing up. Very Sad story! The Only Movie where Tom Hanks is uncredited!
June 13, 2007
Have your tissues handy cuz this is for sure a tearjerker you don't want to miss. VERY emotional storyline. Excellent.