Rain Man Reviews

April 3, 2013
Charlie Babbitt's transformation is convincing, Dustin Hoffman is excellent and the chemistry between the brothers is touching. The art direction and music are hella dated but the movie is otherwise timeless.
October 11, 2012
I must have been about ten or eleven when Rain Man was released and I remember enough about this time that it was seemingly heralded as a modern classic. The fact that it went on to win several oscars - including Best Picture - would further back this up. In hindsight, it's not the classic that its proclaimed to be but still remains a solid human drama.
Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) is a self-centred car salesman who discovers that his recently deceased father has left his fortune to his older, autistic brother Raymond (Dustin Hoffman) - that he didn't know he had. In a bid to get his hands on the money, he kidnaps his brother but rather than it turning into a money making scheme, Charlie finds himself bonding with Raymond on their cross-country journey.
On the surface, Rain Man comes off as a film about family ties, responsibilities and an exploration of learning disabilities. This is true to a great extent but essentially it's a road movie with two mismatched characters and actors. Hoffman delivers another masterful performance and one that gained him his second Best Actor Oscar after "Kramer Vs Kramer" in 1979. There's a real sensitivity to his performance, which in turn, brings a lot of humour. The humour can sometimes come across as unintentional but that's all the more credit to Hoffman's abilities. As for Cruise, he's all cocksure arrogance - like most of his performances throughout the 80's - but he's perfectly fitting and delivers one of the more grounded and mature performances of his career. He plays off Hoffman brilliantly and after playing alongside Paul Newman in "The Color Of Money" two years previously, this marked the second time that Cruise held his own against two of the screen greats - the two of them also on Oscar winning form at the time. Behind the camera, Levinson does an admirable job but his main strengths lie in capturing the subtleties of the performances. Anything else other than that is generic filmmaking. That's not to say that it's poor. It far from that, but I wonder whether it was deserving of a Best Director Oscar. Other candidates from that year included Martin Scorsese for "The Last Temptation of Christ" and Alan Parker for "Mississippi Burning". At least two, that could arguably have taken the award. However, this is the type of material that the Academy laps up; it's a difficult subject in highlighting the complexities of autism and although it's one of very few film's to tackle it, it doesn't provide any answers and doesn't probe as well as it should. Maybe the lack of probing is exactly the point? Autistic savants can't be understood and it confirms that through Cruise's frustrated character. Either way, I found that it became a little contrived and formulaic. This is a small gripe though, as the journey that these two go on is filled with humour and pathos and manages to be both touching and emotionally uplifting.
A thoughtful and affecting story that benefits from exemplary performances and great chemistry from the two leads.
½ March 1, 2012
I love this film. I usually have issues with 80s films made in this format but this film is one of the best 80's films I've seen. Dustin Hoffman is phenomenal in this film and it shows the progression of the relationship between his character and Cruise's. To anyone who thinks Tootsie is Hoffman's best 80's film, first off you're wrong, secondly this could wipe the floor with Tootsie any day of the week. Rain Man is one of my favorite films of all time and the only reason for it not getting 5 stars in my book is due to the unnecessary foul language on Cruise's part. If it didn't have that than this film could have been one of the top films ever.
Directors Cat
January 6, 2012
It's the king of all crowd pleasers. The simple and intriguing premise of the film came off brilliantly. Hoffman and Cruise (with a much under rated performance) are fantastic together showing excellent chemistry. Rain Man shows us everyday situations from a sufferer of autism's perspective truthfully yet touchingly. The movie didn't feel to me at all like 2 hours. It's by no means flawless but very near perfect. I have a brother who suffers from this condition so maybe the film just connected with me in a special way and made me feel good. Like movies are supposed to do. Amazing film about love and self discovery.
BG Movie Reviews
½ September 13, 2011
"Uh oh..." - just one of the many memorable lines from this instant classic that I just couldn't stop refering to every 5 seconds after watching the film. It blew me away!

Rain Man tells the story of the rather bossy man Charlie Babbit, who found out that his father has died and he was given a car and some rose bushes. Upset, he seeks out the person who is getting the rest of his father's money and to try and take it for his own. This takes him on a long journey with his autistic, long lost brother, with plenty of laughs and tears throughout.

Hoffman/Cruise was a perfect match and the two worked brilliantly together - their connection as brothers was fantastic, especially seeing it develop the way it did. With a trait that was taken on by futuristic horror film, The Cube, and a scene that was copied in The Hangover, the film was seen as classic and will be one of my all time favourites for a long time...
Kyle F.
May 31, 2011
Cruise and Hoffman are great, and it's their relationship that sets this movie soaring. Of coarse, the beautiful locations and elaborate sceenplay certainly don't hurt.
DreamExtractor
March 23, 2011
This deserved the Oscar, it was a great movie. Im ashamed of you if you didnt at least like Hoffmans performance, he played it very well and deserved the Oscar.
September 6, 2010
The best drama movie of 1988! Cruise and Hoffman are perfect together, and the story is awesome, dramatic, sad, and a bit funny too. I highly recommend this movie, it's fantastic.
sanjurosamurai
January 9, 2007
an important movie, everyone should watch it
December 3, 2009
A great movie with an almost impossible to hate quality to it. Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman have such an amazing chemistry together. It felt so natural and the banter just worked out perfectly between them. I thought the plot was really good and shows a realistic outcome, it isn't just another throw away story about a mentally challenged person. It's not just a story about brotherhood, but relationships in general. The yuppie was never so close examined within the decade as it was in this, Tom Cruise really nails the whole lifestyle and its weaknesses.
movieguru12
April 11, 2008
Excellent!!! Not only did it have a great story to it. It had two great phoenomenal actors!!!!!! Kudos to Cruise and Hoffman!!! :)
TheDudeLebowski65
November 18, 2010
Rainman is a phenomenal film about a selfish yuppie who discovers that he has a brother when his father dies, and he's left his fortune to him. The only thing is that his brother is an autistic-savant. Charlie Babbitt who's the Yuppie is brilliantly played by Tom Cruise and Raymond Babbit, Charlie's Autistic brother is played by Dustin Hoffman. Both actors deliver strong performances, and I thought that Rainman was one of the better films with Tom Cruise, as I'm not a Tom Cruise fan. The story is well told by director Barry Levinson and he successfully crafts a film about a brother trying to reconnect with his brother, whom he's never known existed. The performances feel real, and the acting is top notch. Levinson definitely picked a great cast for this film. Of all the films staring Tom Cruise, I think that Rainman is one of his best. Staring alongside Dustin Hoffman, both play their characters with skill, and both actors deliver something great on screen. Cruise is credible a selfish Yuppie, and Hoffman is equally impressive as his autistic brother Raymond. Rainman is a sad, but touching film, and the films message will definitely appeal to it's audience. One of things that I really liked about the film Tom Cruise's transformation into a selfish asshole into someone who cares for his brother, the films end, he has formed a strong bond with brother, and he's a better person. For me, that was a very interesting aspect of the film, and Cruise is able to transform so well on screen from selfish to selfless. A very good drama film that is very touching, humourous and sad. Rainman is a phenomenal film with a great story and great acting. Dustin Hoffman definitely shines here, and he plays one of his best roles here.
October 23, 2010
dustin hoffman is incredible.
other than that, the movie is awfully boring.
erika250
May 30, 2010
one of the best dramas ever made.
½ July 23, 2007
An effective and poignant look on autism, anchored by a stunning performance from Dustin Hoffman and an admirable turn by the very controversial Tom Cruise. Although slightly predictable, the film is absolutely fabulous stuff. Just seeing Hoffman act is a treat, and the casino scene is one of the best scenes in any film.
January 13, 2010
For me, this may deserve to be winning the award for the best movie, of it's decade!
ScoopOnline
December 11, 2009
Hand on my Chest This Movie is very touching.
September 22, 2009
I?m not a big film of rain, man!
TomBowler
August 1, 2009
it's a rare film which can make tom cruise likeable, however, rain man succeeds, in the end. dustin hoffmans shows that he really is a genius with raymond, tom cruise's autistic older brother. he's anexcellent driver