91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Raintree County Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
There are a lot of great actors in this movie (keep an eye out for DeForrest Kelly in a small role), but it's a boring civil war romantic drama. Gone with the Wind is much better than this movie. Overall it's okay, though.
John B

February 18, 2014
Monty and Taylor lack the sizzle from A Place in the Sun. This Civil War "epic" is a mess in more ways than one.
cody f

November 21, 2008
I'm a sucker for the 50's epics and this one isn't the best, but it is enjoyable to watch. Monty is a man believed destined for greatness, but is sidetracked when he leaves his life long love(Gorgeous Eva) for Bat-Shit Crazy Liz Taylor,all while the Civil War is going on. Liz does a great job as a southern racist and wacko and Monty is great as the most patient and tolerable man I've ever seen. The whole cast is good and it has the great Lee Marvin as Monty's drinking and war buddy. This is the film that Monty had his disfiguring car wreak on and you see some changes throughout the film, but nothing too noticeable.
February 22, 2009
No one can play the tormented soul like Liz - and she pulls out every stop in this role. (O Susanna, won't you cry for me?) To see her and "Monty" together is always like watching fate happen - but I prefer them much more in Suddenly Last Summer. Eva Marie Saint is also a fave of mine but not crazy about this performance. Not a bad film but it doesn't live up to expectations. Seems like a Gone With the Wind wannabe. I'll toss it a bone and say the wardrobe held it's own!
dfreebyrd59
August 23, 2008
Boy both Cliff and Liz and great in this movie. One should never move on the what one thinks is better and hurting others.
moviegirl50
September 22, 2007
This is good---Elizabeth Taylor is a bit of a wacko and does a good job at it! Must be good-it was made the year I was born :)
Film  Fanatic
July 10, 2013
Another Diamond in the Rough...
Dave J
October 24, 2011
Monday, October 24, 2011

(1957) Raintree County
DRAMA

Based on the popular novel, with some similarities to "From Here To Eternity" echoing the Montgomery Cliff's role as being one of the most desired and the most righteous person while growing up in a small town called "Raintree County", where at the beginning has him searching that tree through the swamp before going off to war while married to the Elizabeth Taylor character during the 1850s. The movie might seem to be too long in parts and ambitiously pointless, but interesting becauuse of it's history about slavery etc...

3 out of 4
April 5, 2011
no me gusta mucho...a veces bien, pero no es GWTW!!
PlusSizeAngel
November 29, 2009
Gorgeously queensized Civil War drama, with Montgomery Clift playing much more likable hero than self-describedly rotten Rhett Butler was: abolitionist Northerner taking care of his mentally ill wife. Elizabeth Taylor is sympathetically tragic Susanna, whose illness is never expoited for sleazy thrills, and Eva Marie Saint is hero´s true love.
Zeppo1
July 22, 2009
*** (out of four)

A desperate attempt at making another "Gone With the Wind" with mixed results.

Set in pre and post Civil War and adapted from the Ross Lockridge, Jr novel about an idealistic young man who drifts away from his high school sweatheart and into a loveless marriage with a wealthy southern belle, played by Elizabeth Taylor.

The film is lavish and beautiful, but also empty of the needed depth a film of this magnitude needs. Elizabeth Taylor is beautiful, but sheis no Scarlett O'Hara.
starlett2005
December 2, 2007
For too long [i]Raintree County[/i] has been compared with [i]Gone with the Wind[/i]. The whole story and concept is different. I agree with another poster here that Liz Taylor is marvelous in this, playing out her mental illness. How sad that Montgomery Clift died so young. There was so much potential in him for older male roles of character years later. Also I think the cinematography is quite rich. Perhaps the late MGM work is not all that great but this one is hardly as terrible as so many film critics and historians have told us over the years since it was made in 1957.