Ray

Ray Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 13, 2011
Taylor Hackford has crafted one of the best biopics of a musician since Clint Eastwood's Bird. Jamie Foxx gives the performance of his career in the lead role of Ray Charles. This is a well crafted biopic and there are some very strong performances alongside that of Jamie Foxx. Ray is a superb film that has a near flawless plot, and great directing. Ray is one of the best biopics that I've seen in recent memory. Foxx's performance is just as solid as Joaquin Phoenix's performance of Johnny Cash in Walk the Line and Forrest Whitaker's performance of Charlie Parker in Bird. This is a solid film with an engaging dramatic story that recounts the fame and turmoil of one of the greatest musicians that ever lived. Jamie Foxx definitely delivered as Ray Charles, and of all his roles, this is his best role to date. Director Taylor Hackford paints a vivid portrait of Ray Charles' life and combined with Jamie Foxx' phenomenal acting, you have one unforgettable performance and film for that matter. This is an entertaining film that possesses some strong elements that the viewer simply can't ignore. The films imperfections forgive able because of Foxx's performance, he is what makes this film what it is, and his portrayal of Ray Charles is flawless, immaculate and unforgettable. I very much love to watch biopics, and Ray is a solid dramatic biopic that will please fans of Ray Charles as well as film fans. A must see if you're looking for a great drama film with strong performances.
Stephen M

October 5, 2011
Occasionally slushy, perhaps a shade on the long side, but very well acted and solidly entertaining nevertheless. Certainly a better portrait of Ray Charles than one would've expected.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 26, 2011
A tremendous story on the best jazz singer ever, Ray Charles. Jamie Foxx stars in this and is his iconic role and the highlight of his career, and he deserved the oscar. The plot was a great journey through his life, and I felt the great feeling I had in Walk the Line, a sense of happiness for these great musicians. The whole cast did great, but Foxx truly is the best. I enjoyed the great music that they re did with Foxx singing, and he truly was fantastic. One of the greatest biopic films ever, and one of my favs.
Anthony L

November 8, 2010
I've always been a big fan of Ray Charles but apart from his music and and few interviews he did in the late eighties, I really didn't know that much about him. He was a bit of a rascal eh! I have to be honest, I though this was going to be another cliched biopic but I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be pretty original. At first it seemed like it was going at around a month a second but Hackford wisely and masterfully uses flash-backs to his advantage. It has become somewhat of a template now but I guess if it ain't broke, don't bother fixing it! Jamie Foxx isn't an actor that I'm that enamoured by at the best of times but I was impressed with his performance here.
Richard C

July 23, 2010
B
Daniel P

May 6, 2007
As in so many of his movies, Jamie Foxx outshines the film itself - a well-deserved Academy Award. It wasn't the greatest movie in some regards, particularly when trying to speak of Ray Charles's influence: being the first to fuse gospel and R&B, for example, is such a niche genre point that said so much less about the character than did the portrayal itself. The ending as well felt a bit like a "we ran out of flim" sort of moment, when the captioning covered about half his life in a sentence, but at the same time, I can see the staying power of this one: beautiful to look at, with great music and good acting, I wouldn't complain too loudly if I found myself watching it again.
deano
deano

November 1, 2006
Although it is still drawn-out, this lovingly produced biography of singer-pianist Ray Charles plays more smoothly on film. Foxx's Oscar-winning title performance still dominates, helped by Charles's own hit recordings. This traces the performer's dirt-poor childhood, early blindness, cross-country touring, chart-topping success and long struggles with drug addiction. The leisurely set-up is badly served by a rushed finale that feels as though the filmmakers ran out of time. But the music, and a slick middle section, make this film thoroughly entertaining.
Lady D

April 10, 2007
Slightly dissapointed in this, heard good things but found parts boring. Jamie Fox, however took a great part as Ray
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 5, 2007
Basically another 'walk hard' movie about drugs and cheating on wives. Pretty great though.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 27, 2007
Jamie Foxx is perfect in the role as the legendary Ray Charles and it's no wonder he received an Oscar for his outstanding performance. Not only that, but the story and biopic of Ray's life and career was also quite interesting to behold, despite the fact that I've never really been into his style of music. With that in mind, it turned out to be a surprisingly pleasant (altough a bit overly long) journey of a movie, that you don't necessarily have to be a music lover to enjoy.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
Telling the story of Ray Charles' road to success and fame this biography of the musician's life does not leave out his drug abuse and cheating on his wife, even makes it the main point of the second half of the movie. While the ending, Charles facing his brother's early death and that he was not to be blamed for it to overcome his drug abuse, is a tad naive and anticlimatic it is Jamie Foxx' Oscar rewarded performance that carries the movie through a few slow middle parts. He basically turns into Ray Charles, giving and outstanding performance. There is plenty of music in the film, which is great for the fans, maybe sometimes a little tiring for others. In all, a really decent portray of a musician who shaped the music of the 50s and 60s, but not quite as great as Walk the Line.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 2, 2008
It's not Foxx's voice but he perfects the antics of Ray.
Alexander W

January 28, 2008
Cinemagraphic biography, which is very detailed and clearly beyong most films.
Dan S

October 21, 2007
A decent biography, but a bit to long for my taste.
Emile T

August 11, 2007
Ray Charles gave his only good performance in that good movie... Still, it was an amazing perfomance.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 4, 2007
Movie about Ray Charles who went blind at the age of 7 but had an amazing gift for music. Jamie Foxx is excellent.
Al S

December 27, 2006
Jamie Foxx is phenouminal, he gives the performance of a lifetime. He is truly superb as Ray Charels. An increiable and extroadinary performance. A marvelous and magnificent film. Unforgettable and remarkable. A truly inspirational movie. Taylor Hackford has directed a real crowning achievement. A masterpiece. He shows not only the life of Ray but his hear and soul. A real crowd pleaser that actually pleases. You'll be standing on your feet and cheering.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

June 2, 2006
I guess this movie can lucky get an Oscar only because they have Jamie Foxx inside. The story is so bad and boring
Lanning :

April 27, 2006
Hmmmmm . . . an Oscar-worthy performance . . . I don't know. I'd seen him do Charles so many times before, I couldn't think of this as much of a stretch. Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking Foxx's talent. It's just that I didn't think he had to go very far to do this. Maybe what really put me off with this film was learning more about Charles than I wanted to know. Oh well . . .