Real Women Have Curves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Real Women Have Curves Reviews

hunterjt13
May 30, 2011
A young woman rebels against her mother in order to gain independence and a better life.
These days there is a lot of talk about the American Dream with politicians bandying about the term with little critical insight and the late, great George Carlin saying, "They call it that because you have to be asleep to believe it.;" But this is a film with its eyes wide open and a focused, almost myopic support of the possibilities that still remain for this nation's under-represented.
America Ferrera's performance as a focused, determined woman who is torn by her tradition-worshiping mother and her dreams of going to college is quite strong, and we quickly gain an admiring respect for the character as Ferrera embodies her. Likewise, the antagonist, played by Lupe Ontiveros, is believable as being able to combine love, fear, and manipulation in a single action. These are two fine actresses giving strong performances.
Though the film is able to celebrate women without demonizing men, there are nonetheless structural flaws. Director Patricia Cardoso tries to add Latin music to smooth out the film's transitions, but the scenes are unevenly short and episodic. Also, we never see much development in Ana's character. It is as though she either wakes up or starts the movie ready to give a school assembly speech to young girls about the importance of self-esteem, use of condoms, and higher education. Thus, she becomes a one-dimensional character and a mouthpiece for the director and screenwriters. Nothing she says is objectionable, but a film so invested in character should allow us more insight into her journey.
Overall, there's no reason not to show this film to every teenager in the country, regardless of ethnicity or size, but there are many reasons not to show it in film school.
½ August 20, 2009
I enjoyed the movie. It portrays the struggle of many first generation immigrants, although the mother's resistance to her daughter going to college is unusual. America Ferrera does a great job.
flixsterman
January 18, 2009
This film does what most other so-called "chick-flicks" couldn't do. It celebrates women without bashing men. Yes, the male roles are secondary, but they're all moral, upstanding, intelligent characters that are supportive of Ana. Real Women Have Curves may be intended primarily for female audiences, but it's one that guys can watch without feeling belittled or apologetic.
December 7, 2006
Beautiful.
Chiefilms
March 1, 2008
Coming of age of a chicana, put together very well.
February 9, 2007
it was good, but too short and cutesy really. and it seemed to be a bit rushed at the end.
½ October 17, 2009
This movie was really cute. Very inspiring!
June 10, 2008
Cute and inspiring.
I can see why America Ferrera was singled out after playing Ana in this film, a character that manages to touch its audience in every possible way. America delivers a fine performance alongside Lupe Ontiveros, Ana's invading mother. I must point out that both share an amaaazing amount of chemistry which makes the film even more believable.
Worth many viewings.
April 25, 2008
America Ferrara is pretty great in this girl power mother/daughter movie.
iLeo
½ December 10, 2007
Great movie about an interesting issue amongst women. *LOL*
FanGirl
September 9, 2006
I should have liked this more than I did. I like the message, but I didn't care for the movie.
May 9, 2011
Learned from Profe Ram only picture that depicts women revealing how they view their body outside a man's presence.
March 21, 2009
Story of a girl coming into her own as a woman. Learning to accept herself for who she is, and not what she looks like. America Ferrera did a decent job except for the fact that she doesn't speak Spanish well although it did fit the role.
July 9, 2008
Anna is a Mexican American girl living in LA in the modern day, but her family only speaks and acts Mexican. Struggling with her weight and the need to fit in, in a world in astark contrast to her more laid back roots, she comes off as senitmental and pure of heart. The flick actually casts real looking people, not beauty queens. Director Patricia Cardosa and her all latin cast help to make it authentic. The best movie of 2002. Maybe the best movie about LA based Mexican families ever made in Hollywood.
December 23, 2007
Suprisingly uplifting girl power flick. America Ferrera shines (as always), but for such a cool premise, it just can't live up to its insanely stupid title.
½ August 13, 2007
I again watched this fully expecting it to suck. I never expected to find myself relating to the character. I think every woman should see this movie!
½ August 3, 2007
America Ferrera and Lupe Oniveros are both wonderful in this movie. I would have liked to have seen a bit more at the end though.
½ January 14, 2007
Athough it wouldn't have hurt Ana to lose a few pounds, no one needs to be belittled by their own mother like that. Working in her sister's shop for the summer was a good learning experience for her but I'm glad she didn't miss out on college.
June 30, 2007
Too true. "Ugly Betty" star America Ferrera shines as Ana, a Mexican American teenager who learns what it takes to grow into a happy, strong, and indendent young woman.
½ June 21, 2007
i love this movie too!!! i can totally relate to it and u know what? i love how America Ferrera is gorgeous even though she isn't stick skinny!!!! she is sooooo pretty!!!! i wish i could be like that