Red

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Red Reviews

John M

October 15, 2010
You know I was not sure what I was getting into with this movie but after watching it I am glad I jumped in. I thought it was just the right mix of humor and action and a good 2 hours spent. A good cast brings this popcorn flick to life. Dont go in expecting more and you will be fine.
garyX
garyX

October 16, 2010
A retired CIA operative is targeted for elimination and so he reunites with his former colleagues to strike back at the assassins. RED is a comic strip action film based on a DC Comics series about ex-spies who come out of retirement and teach the new young whipper-snappers how it's done. The tone is very light-hearted despite the amount of fire power on show and it embraces the concept of "geriaction" wholeheartedly. I must admit I was expecting something a little more substantial considering the heavyweight cast however, as RED is little more than an episodic series of shoot outs combined with a few quips about ageing. The quality cast do keep the story entertaining enough, although it is slightly cringe worthy watching an actor of Malkovich's calibre gurning and prat-falling like an elderly Howling Mad Murdoch; in fact the whole film feels very much like an extended episode of The Aged-Team. It's all very slight and rarely laugh out loud funny leaving RED feeling like nothing more than a sitcom with a body count. Despite the big names involved here, The Losers was very similar and slightly better.
Wildaly M

December 24, 2013
I'm even surprised myself to say that the sequel is better.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

December 13, 2013
four stars
Phil H

October 17, 2010
You know this idea had to come along at some point. Take the basic action premise of various spy flicks like Bond 'Mission: Impossible' and 'True Lies', then make the main characters retired old agents, super spy pensioners.

The plot is pretty much like any other flick in this genre, corruption that leads all the way up to the top, assassinations, intrigue and cover ups. Its Bruce Willis and his ex-team members who have been targeted by the CIA for termination due to previous unearthed information. So its up to them to get to the bottom of the it and uncover...errr the cover up.

The film is yet another comic book adaptation of another comic I've never heard of so I can't compare. A lavish cast from top to bottom because its a big Hollywood production, thusly the visuals and action are also lavish as hell. Now whether or not this is a good thing I'm not sure, I don't know how accurate this is to the comic book firstly and secondly I think it can take away from the whole experience because its too 'Hollywood-ish.'

There's nothing wrong with a glossy action thriller but they do tend to look the same. You don't really feel invested in the story because its all so neat, clean and shiny, there's no grit, no real sense of danger, all the cast are dolled up in layers of obvious makeup (Mirren) and you know no one of any real importance is gonna die and if they do chances are they will come back in the sequel.

That being said I can't deny this film is a reasonably fun ride with semi decent action sequences that all do look quite comic book-esque. The sharp visuals do give it a certain bold colourful style that comes across as quirky but with some dark undertones. I do like how the film is violent to a degree, its not a blood bath but you do see bullet hits, injuries and plenty of death...yet it seems to get tamer towards the end methinks. My best description would be akin to 'Kick-Ass' but not as violent and without the profanity. It is quite fun to see older action heroes taking out elite hit squads, the sight of Helen Mirren using a massive tripod mounted anti tank machine gun in a ball gown was quite funny.

It is all very predictable to be honest, this ain't no Bourne plot folks, did you really think Willis would lose his damsel in distress?. Some good action sequences, amusing dialog mainly coming from Malkovich who was the best character by far and a really good fight between Urban and Willis amazingly. The very end sequence unfortunately is too daft and comes across more like a Monty Python moment rather than a top action flick. For people like myself who don't know anything about the comic book the hook is old folk as super spies which is admittedly fun, apart from that is basically business as usual with nothing too ground breaking going on.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

July 28, 2010
Overall, it's okay.. The great thing about it just how Helen Mirren can fire a gun while wearing a dress in that age, it just amazed me..
KJ P

October 4, 2010
Retired-Extremely-Dangerous! RED brings an all star cast into a great story of action and old friendship. The plot soars with originality, but the one fault that the movies suffers from is being a little slow paced in the middle. Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirran and John Malkovich are all retired CIA's, and when things begin to get messy for one of them, it gets messy for all. So, the fight for their lives begins and they are off on a mission that is to be kept a secret from everyone. With hilarious dialogue, and action scenes that hold just enough strength to not be overblown, these actors and actresses prove that they truly are not ready to retire. This movie is pure adrenaline fun with humor and violence. RED is great!
Everett J

December 29, 2010
Here's my original review(back when I only wrote a sentence or two). I rewatched since the sequel is coming out in a few weeks. I'm glad to say, it holds up very well. This movie is hilarious and has some great action. I'd strongly recommend re-watching this,or checking it out for the first time. Malkovich hasn't been this awesome in a long time and the previews for number 2 looks just as good!Original review: If your into old people kicking ass then watch this instead of the "Expendables." Better action, and it's got some damn funny moments. John Malkovich and Helen Mirren steal the movie, and Bruce Willis hasn't been this good since the last Die Hard movie.
Alice S

June 26, 2013
It's all well and good to see Dame Helen Mirren pumping lead whilst wearing the hell out of a slinky white dress and Tiffany jewels, but other than that, there's not much else going for this movie in the way of conflict or resolution. Everyone is appropriately badass or crazy EXCEPT Mary Louise Parker in a thankless role that pegs her as a perpetual damsel in distress. She and Bruce Willis form a somewhat mismatched pair that shares no chemistry beyond loneliness.
Daniel P

November 5, 2010
Though I love Helen Mirren, it was upon her entrance that this otherwise pleasant (albeit mindless) movie soured, forcing a long-ago love story into a different kind of action film. I haven't read the graphic novel on which it's based, but visually, the style is very much panel-by-panel and interesting as a result; that said, the "introduce every new city by way of a postcard" device gets tired, and yeah, the love story took the movie seriously off course. Disposable, forgettable, almost enjoyable.
Al S

March 11, 2010
It's a wild and frequently pulse-pounding thrill-ride. This movie packs almost too much cool to handle. A tremendously entertaining and outrageously exhilarating action-packed comedy. It's smart, thrilling, clever and absolutely hilarious from start to finish. A great non-stop good time at the movies. I loved it. A total blast of explosive fun. A great film with enough heart-pounding action, sizzling suspense and great humor to go around for two movies combined. A solid and enjoyable spy thriller with a great story and a bunch of great stars. An awesome all star-cast that just all work extremely well together. Bruce Willis is cooler than ever, he gives a great and solid performance. Morgan Freeman is excellent. John Malkovich is hysterical, he delivers big laughs in every scene he's in. Helen Mirren is terrific. Karl Urban is fantastic. Brian cox is marvelous. Mary-Louise Parker is wonderful. The cast just had flat-out brilliant chemistry together. The best cast in an action-comedy ever. A hard-rocking and body-slamming action movie joy-ride. It hits all the right notes and delivers big time and dose not seem to fail in satisfying it's audience. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Jens S

August 5, 2010
As depressing as it is to see Bruce Willis among a group of retired CIA agents and called "old" throughout the entire film, the premise is promising. Someone's trying to take out the former agents and they are striking back. The actors obviously had fun with this premise, Willis doesn't have much more to do than channel his usual kick-ass self, but Malkovich steals the show as insane paranoiac. The rest of the cast combines many more names and that is clearly the movie's biggest asset. Sadly, the film considers itself a little more amusing than it actually is. Much of the things on screen are about what you'd expect or seen many times before, the action is not exactly ground breaking. It doesn't help that the soundtrack is getting annoying very fast with the same old "rock" riffs. Still, entertaining and likable, even if not exactly as innovative as it could have been.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 18, 2010
This is a thoroughly enjoyable action comedy with an exceptional all star cast!
Its a funny, action packed, awesome car scene involving Bruce Willis movie!
John Malkovich was fantastic as the paranoid nut job and was just hilarious i could watch this movie over and over!
A brilliant cast making this a brilliant movie! Loved It.
Clintus M.
Clintus M.

February 9, 2012
Red is enormously entertaining. It's the story of retired CIA operatives/assassins out to solve a current mystery - and hilarity ensues. Its deliciously cast with Bruce Willis in the lead. They're the perfect mix, despite the obvious age gap between them. I read someone describe Red as "the movie Expendables wishes it was, "and that it dead-on accurate. This has less action but much more humor. I've never seen Richard Dreyfuss in a role like this one, Helen Mirren is very funny in a deadpan way, and Malkovich is practically insane with paranoia. Think Murdock in The A Team, only funnier. Red defines ensemble cast in an action comedy.

I love the theme of "old folks doin' stuff." Silly and sophomoric just works better with geriatric actors. Willis hardly qualifies as that, but don't question it. He represents action and humor, with Mirren and even Ernest Borgnine surprisingly adept at both too. More comedy than death-defying adventure, you'll want to (like Mary-Louise Parker) trade your mundane life for the action and thrills of a CIA hit man. Retired Extremely Dangerous is right.

I can't stop laughing at Malkovich and his pig.
Drake T

January 15, 2012
For some bizarre reason, when you shove a generic action film through a blender for retired folks and old people it suddenly becomes entertainment gold.

Maybe it's the incredibly wonderful cast/characters or the offbeat humor, but it works! Besides, it's really hard to hate on a film that doesn't even want to be taken seriously with all the necessary leisurely ingredients.

It's smart, fun, exciting, stylish and hilarious. The qualities that any shallow action film should try to embody, a thoroughly great experience.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 6, 2012
Red is a top notch action comedy that is over the top ridiculous and is pure fun from beginning to end. This film is one jacked up, off the wall action film that will appeal to die hard action buffs. If you love crazy action, then Red is the perfect film for you. Like so many viewers of this film I have to say that the actor that steals the show is John Malkovich in the role of Marvin Boggs. Though Willis is the star, Malkovich steals the show and delivers the most memorable performance of the film. Red is lots of fun from start to finish. The plot is engaging and there is always something going on to keep the film moving along. Red delivers on the action, and it boasts a good story and the cast are great here. Red is a terrific action film and is a definite must see. Sure there are aspects that could have been better, but for the most part it succeeds at being one awesome time waster. What makes the film a must see is John Malkovich. He is terrific in his role, and he is what makes Red such a unique film going experience. If you enjoy crazy action flicks, then Red is the film for you. Red is a brilliant, well acted film that will appeal to anyone looking for a solid action film. Red is pure fun from start to finish, and though it's not perfect, it's most certainly enjoyable. Red is top notch action that delivers what you'd expect. If you love a good, no nonsense action flick then Red is the film to watch. Very funny, action packed with a great cast, what's not to like.
Stuart B

October 17, 2010
Good film with plenty of action and humor. It's no great thinker of a movie, instead it's just a load of guns and bangs and great set pieces. Enjoy!
thmtsang
thmtsang

November 21, 2010
Retired assassins for the CIA are being hunted down themselves. They have to come out of retirement and fight back. It's funny seeing Helen Mirren with a machine gun.
maxthesax
maxthesax

November 4, 2011
It's not easy to poke fun at the spy/action genre without falling into the same conventions you're trying to lampoon. Red wallows in it - and fortunately it does so by design - never taking itself too seriously - serving up plenty of laughs along with some wink, wink moments.

You are served up a script that could serve as yet another Bourne/ Mission Impossible, rogue agent on the loose scenario. The twist here is that the story line involves a bunch of sexagenarians, which allows Morgan Freeman to utter the hilarious line "looks like we're getting the band back together".

If nothing else, you get to watch some truly heavyweight talent have some fun - kind of like the Ocean's 11 reboot... all that star power, and you could tell that the cast is having a blast. And what a cast: Bruce Willis, the aforementioned Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Miren, Mary Louise Parker, Brian Cox (who uses a thick Russian accent throughout), and Richard Dreyfuss (who looks like he's having the most fun of all - playing a bad guy and actually saying "hey, look at me, I'm a bad guy").

Helen Miren is perfectly cast as a "wet agent". When non-spy Parker asks what a wet agent is, she drolly informs her "I kill people, dear". Precious!

Oddly enough, the script and storyline are fairly tight, as if you could have played this one seriously if you desired - thank goodness that they didn't - it's much more entertaining with tongue in cheek - yet this neo parody manages to steer clear of the knuckleheaded, dumbed down splatter gun "let's look for laughs" method that seems to hit the theater every five minutes nowadays. It's almost as if this was written as a kind of homage to the serious action thriller - even while poking fun at the genre.
I loved the funk soundtrack, especially the inclusion of the uber bad "Sissy Strut", as well as the postcard gimmick that adds to the first half of the film.