The Red Balloon (Le Ballon Rouge) Reviews

August 27, 2007
For an older film, I like the creativity of this short, the dull backgrounds as a backdrop with the infusion of bright colours is almost reminiscent of black, white and reds, used in films such as Sweeney Todd, so shows this in a much older age.

I felt this could have been a great film had there been more stories coming off of the mini adventure. Many, more modern films have been modelled on such films like these, I wonder if this was one of those original style films to which people use as a reference?
½ June 22, 2009
A WONDERFUL little film about a balloon with a mind of its own. The ending will stick with you forever.
flixsterman
January 13, 2009
How cool!!! If I weren't so awesomely masculine I'd be tempted to say "enchantingly delightful', but of course I AM awesomely masculine so I just say "how cool!"
½ February 20, 2009
Sweet fantasy that, like all great fables, takes us back to the best years of our lives.
December 27, 2008
One of the most affecting and audience accessible silent movies ever. Symbolic, full, and innocent. Perfect length.
RCCLBC
½ May 15, 2008
Love, love, love this film.

Believe it or not...I remember seeing this film periodically in elementary school and remember being completely enchanted and enthralled by it every time.

Saw it later as an adult and the magic was still there.

It is a very simple film, full of magic and wonder.
366weirdmovies
April 13, 2008
A red balloon follows a 6 year old boy around Paris. This short, simple, essentially silent fable about friendship is universally beloved for good reason.
½ February 8, 2007
The filmmakers succeed in giving this big red balloon personality! The balloon is a friend to the little boy though it sometimes teases and pulls away drawing the boy to places he has not been. The balloon wants to be free. While watching this film, I was reminded of the Peter, Paul & Mary song Puff the Magic Dragon. Both are about fleeting innocence.
Harlequin68
August 15, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"White Mane" and "The Red Balloon" are two exceptional films by Albert Lamorisse about innocence and friendship in childhood. Of the two, "White Mane" is the more traditional of the two, focusing on Folco(Alain Emery), a fisher boy in the south of France, who befriends a wild horse that local men are coveting. As good as this is, it is no match for the inventively playful "The Red Balloon" which is about a young boy(Pascal Lamorisse) who finds a red balloon and their adventures in Paris. With this almost wordless film, Albert Lamorisse has complete confidence in himself as a filmmaker, composing sequences that boggle the mind as to how they were made. And if you know, please don't tell me.[/font]
March 12, 2013
Lamorisse's simple short view of life through the voyage of a red balloon is magical and inspired many a film maker in its aftermath. A nice breezy half hour flight.
October 26, 2011
Amazing what can be said with film in such a short 34 minute piece. Director Albert Lamorisse conveys such emotional depth and creates a wonderful fantasy world for those that can see it through a child's eyes. Such a wonderful display of youth and its innocence! We are given a beautiful and serene cityscape in which the young boy pursues this balloon and through camera technique and editing capture the travels with a brisk and whimsical take on the naivety of childhood, when all that mattered was what was at hand!
March 17, 2013
Short, simple and mostly silent, "The Red Balloon" is a thoughtful, creative reflection on childhood, imagination and friendship, and its timeless story should resonate with everyone that sees it.
½ May 3, 2012
A sweet little film, very simple in its screenplay and with limited dialogue that means it will be appeal to all ages and nationalities. The balloon is the star and the way it moves around and follows the little boy is very cleverly done. The way the other children pick on the boy and then attack the balloon I suspect is symbolic and the beautiful ending was nicked by 'Up' many years later. A nice short film.
jimbotender
½ September 20, 2008
Brilliant film,pure magic and the kids should love it if any parent had in mind Lamorisse's dedication to the innocence and playful relaxation of body/soul,instead infecting the children with plotless crap such is Shark Tale.....
toejambaseball24
April 12, 2009
30 or so minutes of pure visual storytelling. Who would have thought that a red balloon could be such a likeable character?
½ September 19, 2008
A beautiful looking and sweet movie about a boy and a balloon that follows him around Paris. It reminded me of my childhood when my best friend, a balloon animal named Gorf, and I went to the zoo and he got popped by a mountain goat. Sad Days.
November 20, 2014
Cute, short movie about a boy and his balloon (duh). Has a great ending and the movie is filled with French charm. Hardly any talking, the movie is largely symbolic. The balloon reminds me of a cute dog or something and actually makes me quite sad when it meets its end. I think this film inspired the movie UP.
March 7, 2013
Cute but overly long and a bit obnoxious. I get that it is an early arthouse short film and as much as I try I just don't enjoy those type of movies. What The Red Balloon does well is set an ambiance that really gives Paris of the 50s a life of its own. However for the subject the short was a bit long and not something that entertains (however for arthouse junkies this is a must see). Granted it isn't bad just not my cup of tea.
October 14, 2012
Amazing film! This short film was everything i wanted it to be. GRADE:A
½ June 14, 2012
Contains spoilers
this movie was pretty good i can't give it more then a 3 and a half though because it didn't really affect my emotions that much, i think it could of been better... the ending was a little bit weird. would of been awesome to see the bullies tied up on the balloons at the end.... if you understand what i'm saying =) like a balloons revenge for them destroying the red balloon
Also great movie for a 1956 movie at times i forgot the movie was so old as it was in good color and everything and it didn't feel outdated...