64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Red Planet Mars Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
One of the most interesting sci-fi movies of the fifties, I highly recommend checking it out.
flixsterman
flixsterman

February 6, 2009
Due to the elliptical nature of Mar's orbit, only rarely does it come close enough to Earth to afford a clear view of it's geography. When it does, supposedly in 1952, scientists notice that the huge ice mountains of the poles have been melted into water and channeled to large cities spread across the landscape, proving the existence of life on the red planet. Coincidentally, a remarkable invention known as the "Hydrogen Valve" has just been developed, enabling the sending of coded messages across the vast expanse of space. Now Earth can communicate with those industrious water channelers so very far away. But, the question is, what will they say? Will they end hunger, disease and misery on Earth? Will they advance our technology? Are they friendly? Could they be... possibly... Christians?!?!?
January 3, 2013
Surprisingly, an epistemological film. Ultimately anti-science, pro-Christianity, but developed in a way that causes the viewer to ask questions about how he knows or believes that which he knows or believes. There's a little Cold War drama thrown in, but it's merely backdrop, context.
May 5, 2012
McCarthyesque scaremongering masquerading as sci-fi? A science fiction movie with virtually no science and precious little fiction it instead is a cheap shot at the evils of Nazi's and the Russians and how they threaten the average American and his way of life. This kind of propaganda has pervaded the minds of millions of people and amusingly the movie attempts to flip-flop the same dogma and shine a light back on itself.

The movie is either the most pandering indictment of mass hysteria being used to control the masses or a searing jibe at it's use, wrapped up so snug that it cant be accused of doing exactly that.
Whitsbrain
March 3, 2012
This is an early 50s Sci-Fi movie that will have you scratching your head.
Peter Graves stars as a scientist who sends a signal to Mars and gets an actual call back from real Martians. The Martians give Graves messages that send the world into a panic, apparently because we Earthlings are jealous of the the Martians' technology. World markets collapse, crime spikes, Labor Unions freakout (not surprising), etc. Graves also receives a proxy message from Mars, originally delivered by God. This message changes the world into a peaceful, religious place practically overnight. But hold on, the Russians have been eavesdropping so trouble is bound to ensue.
This movie contains absolutely no visuals of Martians, space battles or anything else that amounts to anything more than a left over stage prop. But somehow it almost works. Many will think that this is a thinly veiled commantary on McCarthyism. Others will sour on its overtly religious theme, and that's okay. I honestly can't decide what I think of it.
Doug R.
January 26, 2009
Red Planet Mars started off as a pretty cool example of early 50's SF. Unfortunately, about half-way through it degenerated into a pious, Christian goody-goody preach-fest. A characteristic unfortunately often found in other early 50's Hollywood offerings.

I have to admit, the transition from SF schlock to religious preachy schlock was so unexpected that I continued to watch for a few more minutes in the hopes that it was just a phase the director was temporarily going through.

Sadly, that was not the case. Fast-forwarding through the remaining 1/2 of the movie only confirmed that "Red Planet Mars" was merely another sad example of the 50's interpretation of our American Puritan heritage.
jazza923
January 1, 2007
Preposterous plot, and it is a shame. If they had left god sending messages from Mars and the whole anti Communist stand out of the film, it could have been really good. Decent production.