Red Sands Reviews

½ June 30, 2010
I really really am not sure what I just spent an hour and a half watching. US Soldiers in the desert stir up something evil. . way to go guys!
February 28, 2010
This movie was a great disappointment!! Poor special effects of the creature and ridiculous horror story because it didn't scare me.
June 10, 2010
Shockingly adequate. I'd not recommend it unless you are a fan of just watching random horror movies. It's definitely not for the mainstream blockbuster crowd.

It has a limited reach - but that works with the film and because of that it isn't overly flawed. It knows what it can and can't do and makes the best of it.
February 25, 2009
Red Sand is about a group of soldiers who during a mission in the middle east get alittle bored and decide to take shots at a stature in the sand that is of course untill one finally hits it just right and destroys the whole thing little do they know by doing so they have unleashed a curse upon them and are visited by something sinister the next day that will make them all turn against one another in the hot middle east sand. I can honestly say this wasnt a horrible supernatural thriller had a decent for the most part story i just think something was missing that could have made it alot better maybe even 4 stars might have been the actors or the small budget it was just missing something still a ok watch as in i wasnt bored sitting threw it.
March 1, 2009
Hmmm..a little on the interesting side! but not bad! Shane West and Leonard Roberts stars. Worthy!
March 1, 2011
A squad of American soldiers are stationed in a remote part of Afghanistan when one of them uses an ancient statue for target practice, unknowingly unleashing a Djinn. They soon hole up in an abandoned building, where their communication system goes down and an unknown Arab woman comes out of the desert storm. After her discovery, strange things start to happen to the soldiers, causing them to hallucinate.

Red Sands was a surprisingly good psychological film. Each character deals with his own fear and we're subjected to the slow deterioration of their psyches. The Djinn doesn't become readily available to us until the end of Red Sands and when it does, it sort of throws off a weak vibe. Luckily, it only appears on the screen for about half a minute. Most of the killing comes from the soldiers on eachother, which sort of makes the appearance of the Djinn kind of useless. The audience wouldn't have noticed the difference if it made itself completely scarce. Honestly, I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Each character kept the film in a steady-pace and wasn't rushed in the slightest. I was thoroughly intrigued with the whole layout of the film until the final scene came into play which provided a nice little twist to the storyline. Granted, it was a bit predictable, but nonetheless, a fine ending to an interesting film.
½ November 19, 2009
A silly horror movie about a demonic genie that kills an infantry squad of US soldiers in Iraq. Shane West was ok, but the rest of the cast over-acted. The movie also had some great looking shots, but didn't amount up to much. Not good enough to be 'good' not bad enough to be 'bad'.
March 16, 2009
Not a bad little supernatural thriller that seemed to run out of money before they could accomplish what they set out to do. But certainly not a bad flick.
½ March 14, 2009
rating - B-
Perhaps I'm a little biased and have been from the beginning, but I like movies with the Djinn. So when this one started out with the whole Djinn thing, it automatically went up on the list. And, thankfully, it didn't disappoint. Mind you, it was a little strange from time to time, and certainly not A-list graphics, but I enjoyed it. And hey, what says love more than watching some guy get his face eaten off? Very little, ladies and gents. I don't usually go for soldier movies, and endings like this one normally - erm - irritate me, but it was well done, in my humble opinion.
March 8, 2009
this was a rare find. (meaning I never heard of it, & a plus.. Shane West is in it. (you know the all though I don?t watch it, but I know he was on ER for a time. I think he had relations w/ the Indian girl..sorry don?t know characters? names) this was about a Djinn, they?re out in Afganistan & so on. the Djinn was pretty freaky & well just watch the end! Creep factor, moderate C+
½ March 4, 2009
Strangely reminded me of Carpenter's The Thing with the way the creature could mimic them. Has possibilities for a sequel the way it ended.
½ February 26, 2009
I despise most films that open with a single survivor being asked "what happened to the people you were with?", because you know that you're about to sit through a huge flashback with little suspense, because any characters you meet, well, you pretty much KNOW are dead, right?

This film was no exception to that rule, and lost another point for the bad CGI towards the end.

½ February 24, 2009
So I saw the Previews and it caught my interest. Went to the Video Store, read the box and was intrigued, so I decided to rent it. Got home, put it in and almost fell asleep for the first hour, till things finally picked up a little. Nothing special, actually very boring. All in all what a $#$%# waste of my time...don't bother watching this.
April 5, 2013
Oh dear, nice idea very poorly excecuted.
½ December 31, 2010
poor plot, poor acting, poor movie
½ March 14, 2010
Uhh...a waste of film. I labored through the first half of this flim and then shut it was either that or gnaw my arm off.

It was so bad, I couldn't finish it.
December 3, 2009
Coulda been good but every movie coulda been good. So can't judge it on what it coulda been, just what it is. Bad CGI, next to no story. Acting and script wasn't too bad actually. Just when i was over watching it, something would intrigue me slightly. But only just. Nothing special.
½ October 10, 2009
Don't rent it, buy it or watch it! After 30 minutes I felt the same as the soldiers in the film..i was ready to kill them out of boredom!!! Dodgy Camera effects that get really annoying, Very Low Budget and looks it. Not a thriller or a horror film, I don't know what it was supposed to be, but i know what it turned out like.
½ September 25, 2009
2009 US Director: Alex Turner
Score: 7
Set in the deserts of Afghanistan, this one explores the legend of the Djinn, often called Genies in the west. If you know anything about genies beyond the Disney or TV version then you know there is potential here for a wicked supernatural horror film. This film does a pretty good job with it. A U.S. Army squad on ?routine? insurgent patrol out in the desert shoots up an ancient statue they find among some ruins, mostly out of boredom and cockiness.
The statue was actually a ?prison? that held a Djinn. The statue?s destruction releases the vengeful spirit and it wastes no time to begin mentally tormenting the men of the squad with illusions and mind games. The film gets interesting when paranoia and panic grips the group and they start to turn on each other. The acting is good, though average. The soundtrack can be called the same. The SFX are pretty good. For a DTH DVD release this one is good, and is worth checking out.

Notes: HL-GV-BN Suggested Age: 16+