20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Da Vinci's Demons: Season 2
100% Orphan Black: Season 2

The Red Shoes (Bunhong Shin) Reviews

August 5, 2011
Creepy and Fact vs Fiction? Now i like Korean movies they can be wonderful and full of color....But this doesn't quite live up to what the beautiful 40s version did.

Some good acting and direction and one of the most insane fantasy scene i have ever viewed. But the crap story that can be confusing to so many viewers makes it hard to watch.

So my grade is just skip it or watch if you love this cinema.
skactopus
skactopus

September 1, 2008
At the time of this review, I have not seen a ton of horror films because this genre doesn't appeal to me as others do. With that said, Yong-gyun Kim creates one freaky film known as The Red Shoes.The movie starts out fairly quickly after a minute of bloody looking credits. The first brutal death comes and goes and the movie is off. As seen in many Asian flicks, not just horror, a bulk of the storytelling is fairly abstract and the ending supposedly ties everything together. The Red Shoes follows this same formula. It moves at a slow pace and it is a very dark story, which requires your attention to follow what is going on. Don't feel bad if you are lost because the ending does a pretty decent job at bringing a lot of things together, but not everything.The Asians really know how to create suspenseful horror films and once again, The Red Shoes is no exception. When this movie gets freaky, IT GETS FREAKY. Young eyes can get nightmares from watching something like this. The deaths are gory, albeit there isn't a whole lot of them. The deaths don't make this movie though. The suspense and scares do. Like any Asian horror, this film gets the scares in at the right moments, which in turn makes them successful.Just when you think it is all over and the red shoes story is complete, the movie continues for another 15 minutes. It is one h*** of a 15 minutes too. Unless you don't want to sleep, do not watch this alone in the dark right before you go to bed.The acting is good. Hye-su Kim is the ever popular female lead and she does what she has to. I give props to the young Yeon-ah Park for being in a movie like this.The Red Shoes is meant for Asian horror fanatics. This is truly a good watch for them.
Drew S

August 2, 2008
This is almost as bad as Cello; equally derivative, but slightly more involving and with much stronger imagery. I looked at the checklist of films that Cello cribs from and The Red Shoes also takes elements from every single one of those movies as well, except substitute music for dancing. Allow me to repeat myself: Ringu (black-haired girl ghost), Tale of Two Sisters (entire aesthetic sensibility), Phone (past rivalry gone sour), The Eye (plot with heavy musical themes), Dark Water (devotion to the daughter), Acacia (disintegration of the family unit), or even Suicide Club (remaining weirdness factor).

It looks much different from Tale of Two Sisters, but Lee Byeong-Woo composed this so I count that as a similarity as well. His work here, by the way, is fine - not as strong as his seminal work in the former film, and awfully showy, but there are some real highlights. He needs to keep the organs out of his compositions, though. Baaaaaadly.

Anyway, this was vaguely involving if only for the lead performance - Hye-su Kim doesn't do "wild-eyed horror" very well, but her quieter emotional moments are strong and she pulls off her breakdown perfectly in the final act of the film. The child actress is good as well, despite the fact that her character is an unbelievable brat - even before the shoes are introduced, she obviously deserves a spanking. They play off each other well and I read a summary of the director's commentary about how they interacted that impressed me. I will also give The Red Shoes points for a twist toward the end that I didn't see coming, but then I'm going to take those points away for a subsequent stupid twist that doesn't make any sense. Anyway, these efforts aren't enough to make the movie good by any stretch, and for some reason it's incredibly unscary despite the technical prowess. I guess cursed shoes don't quite work.

And on that note, the shoes are not red in any sense of the word. They are definitely pink. I took it to be a metaphor, like the shoes are bloodstained, but they are referred to as "red shoes" at least twice throughout the film. Uh...great job, guys.
Kylie B

April 16, 2007
Slightly different to the usual Asian horror standard, it has some interesting images and a workable backstory to the shoes, but I wasn't especially taken with the film.
Luke B

April 11, 2008
A bunch of people cream themselves over a pair of shoes. Think a Brantanos advert crossed with Lord of the Rings. After the first half hour of me wondering if I should colour correct my TV (the shoes are pink, is the red because of blood? What?). I started enjoying it on its own terms, as your everyday Asian horror. However the script has too many holes and annoying moments contained within to keep giving a hoot til the end. Who dies? Who cares? Some lovely visuals and individual horror like sketches but other than that it's a bit of a complicated waste.
Hellshocked
Hellshocked

February 8, 2009
Two films fighting each other, either of which would have been better than this one. The result is far, far less than the sum of its parts.
February 23, 2014
Pretty good! Proof that it's never a good idea to pick things up in the subway! You never know where it came from...or what's attached to it!
June 14, 2012
very good movie, it felt very demonic and weird all the way through.... some very creepy scary parts.. It could have been creepier though, but this was an insane story and very good. I will perhaps fear the sight of any shoes that look like the ones in this movie for a while.... very chilling and atmospheric... the story was abit too strange so it was kind of hard to understand some parts of it, and i know a few things that would have made it scarier in certain parts... the ending could have been better, i don't mean the scene in the credits , when the credits went all blurry the scene in the credits was brilliant.
worth watching for sure unless you hate horror movies... this will creep you out and the sound effects are very eerie.
June 4, 2012
This film is a pleasant reworking of the fable of a young girl that finds a cursed pair of red shoes that make her dance until she is dead.

The main actress is superb and a welcome relief from the same old, half-assed flitting about the silver screen that Hollywood has been fond of giving us in recent years.

Yes, the story does drag at times & gets a bit convoluted, but I had no problem keeping interested from start to finish. The scares are believable and some are completely unexpected - traits that many horror flicks lack.
October 25, 2009
Ok the story line to this movie was pretty decent at first and I really got interested. But the movie stretched 20 minutes too long. for when it hit that part, the story took a turn and really threw me off. Doing this, I lost interest and just wanted it to end. But there are many interesting scary and gory scenes to enjoy in this movie. Even in the 20 minutes that I hated. The cast was pretty good. The little girl who played Tae-soos was prety good. The main character played by Hye-su Kim was also good. I believe when Yong-gyun Kim had made this movie, he wanted the shoes to have a deeper meaning than just a killing tool. At parts you can really see some of the symbolism. At other parts, not so much. So it was a fun and interesting movie to watch, just needed a little more editing on the story front.
blizzpirate
blizzpirate

April 2, 2011
chibimina7
June 16, 2008
At first, I was wondering why the shoes were pink instead of red. Then I realized cuz it would have been hard to see the blood on it. I actually liked the shoes' shade of pink,...looks creepy...creepy shade of pink...
but otherwise I liked it! (even though I only had the chance to watch 1/2 of it)
October 19, 2007
This is a Korean film based on a story by Hans Christian Anderson, which was made into a movie in 1948. This movie is a modern thriller version of this story. A lady finds a pair of shoes on a subway and is overcome by greed and possessiveness.

There were some pretty decent gore scenes in this flick. It also had some crazy ghosts. I liked it overall. It wasn't too cheesy and it held my attention for quite some time. The end was a little boring and weird. The twist at the very end was cool. I would like to watch the original now to get the backstory.
sleepykiss
October 8, 2006
Those EVIL pink pumps!!! lol. That Seong-su Kim is a cutie. Oh no, my Adidas are trying to take over my mind, help meeeeee...
joyouskiss
July 12, 2007
Creepy, goosebumps kind of horror whereas a mother happened upon hot pink shoes in ths subway. The shoes are haunted and whomever possess them lose their feet and life. The one who possesses the pink shoes becomes mad with obsession and won't let others near them. It awakens their feminite sexuality and they doll up and take wallks, but it doesn't last. They realize the only way to get rid of the cursed shoes is to die, unless they can solve the mystery of it. Never pick up any pretty red/pink shoes!
TheFeldster
November 19, 2013
"The Red Shoes" has a solid background, with the film taking the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale and adding a significant horror element, which makes it an unique film. Unfortunately, other issues plague this Korean film, including pacing, a lacklustre twist that doesn't really pack the punch it was supposed to, and an incredible suspension of belief required from the viewer.

It showed promise, but never became more than an OK horror film.

Also, it was mildly off-putting that the titular "Red shoes" were a bright pink.... maybe just me?
January 2, 2013
If you like horror movies, S. Korea has several worth watching!
This is one to watch with friends. Good script, well directed, with several convincing actresses - but not a 'chick flick' either.
FilmGrinder S.
January 30, 2012
"No emotion is more fatal than an obsessed love."-Cheol (Seong su Kim)

Now that the market isn't being flooded with J-horror and other Asian spook flicks I can view without being so cynical. You've seen the story countless times (not to mention the white faces), but most of imagery is really creepy, as is score. The charaters are well drawn out and the film doesn't shy away from a well deserved 'R' rating (gallons of blood). I'll take a Koreon horror film over Japanese horror flick any day.
braziliancinemaforgringos
February 26, 2008
Yet another koreon horror, but unlike a lot of other similar films this just suceeds. There is no escaping the fact that it is about some killer shoes with a silly curse, but there is some great drama and character development. It sure ain't scary, but gory it is. This is above alot of films because its got more depth and detail that other asian horror filsm lack. And whereas films like the grudge lacked a coherent structure they were filled with scares. Sadly this is a mixture of both but this branches out and makes the film more appealable to a wider audience. Worth a look 7.5/10

August 5, 2011

So my grade is just skip it or watch if you love this cinema.