The Reeds

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

The Reeds Reviews

Cynthia S

September 12, 2010
Odd movie, full of alternate reality situations all over the place. Never a good way to go, in my opinion.

February 1, 2012
Poorly executed. The storyline itself was a little shaky. It wasn't clear. It was a confusing idea that just didn't work. There was a twist at the end which didn't make sense, then there was another twist at the very, very end which also made no sense. All the questions in the movie the audience was most likely asking themselves were never answered which leaves the viewers unsatisfied. It was just really bad. The script was bad too. The characters were undeveloped...I can't even recall any of their names.

So yeah, terrible movie.
Brian D

May 3, 2010
Starts off well but drives towards a blank wall of what the hell happened here and if you do watch it till the end you question the ending too and scratching your head with what you have seen!
A very disappointing British horror have seen better from the UK.

September 25, 2011
7.1/10

I didn't expect to have as much fun as I ended up having with "The Reeds". It's a horror film with an interesting premise, as well as plenty of somewhat overused ideas on the side, so I couldn't say I expected much. An intriguing premise is always good, but too often to movies - horror movies especially - waste all potential and go completely berserk when it comes to the clichés and all things ever-so-familiar. To be completely honest, I can't tell you - even for a second - that this film is anything special, but it was affectionate for its genre, and it was well-made from beginning to end. You might indeed have trouble finding many better horror features from its year. I quite liked it.

The setting is simple, but in a good way. The entirety of this film takes place in a marsh area, where the reeds are high and the waterways are plentiful. As with all movies like this one, there must be initially ignorant characters that get stuck in these parts and try to find the way back home; only to encounter inexplicable horrors lurking all around them while they're at it. In this case, the characters are a cast of men and women presumably in their twenties; and the horror that surrounds them does indeed lurk in the tall, tall reeds. Before I go any further, maybe I should explain the situation with more depth.

The group rents a boat upon arriving to the marsh. They encounter some ominous, creepy, seemingly desolate teenagers who give us a sense of immediate danger. After some pleasant boating, the vessel gets stuck and a member of the crew is badly injured, as a shark, metal object has him through the torso. If that wasn't enough trouble as it is, here comes the horror; the villain. The characters think they are "seeing things" in the reeds, and outside the windows of the boat. Through "POV tracking shots" and the like, it would appear that something is stalking them, ready to pounce. But who, or what, is it? Is it a monster? Is it the man who runs the boat rental place? Is it the kids? Who knows? It's all revealed in the end, which has been discussed and criticized by most that have seen the film for its muddled twist, but I found it to be alright. I've seen worse.

The first flaw that you might notice is the lack of depth, in both the story and the characters. The people in this film aren't necessarily some of the most boring I've come across in my several years of movie-watching, but if I could do something that this film does somewhat poorly in a better way, it would be giving these characters some personality. But if you can put that stuff, and the half-decent ending, aside; then there's some real talent to be found here. The film was entertaining all the way through for me. I appreciated it, admired it, and really enjoyed myself. There wasn't a dull moment to spare; the beautiful cinematography made sure of this. The marsh areas are beautifully photographed and the horror is well-staged overall. "The Reeds" takes the old and re-creates it as something genuinely new, fun, and scary.

So you don't have a classic on your hands here. Great. That doesn't bother me. All I ask out of a horror film is that it gives me a good time and some stuff to think about. "The Reeds" is intense and well-directed enough to make me want to support it; and I shall. There are few horror films from its year that can rival it in both tension and scare-factor. I recommend it to fans of the genre - real fans of the genre - since I feel that they will be more...forgiving, than most audiences. Otherwise, I don't know; this isn't exactly a masterpiece or anything, so if you want a great horror flick, look elsewhere. But I had a good time watching "The Reeds", and that was good enough for me. This is pure escapist entertainment with a twist; it's actually pretty well-done. Just try to have fun with it, and who knows; it might work for you as it did for me.
Jacob P

June 9, 2011
A very wild ghost story.
February 24, 2012
Solid cinematography and a truly creepy location set The Reeds up for success. Unfortunately, it devolves into a boring, derivative, and forgettable piece of supernatural horror cinema.
MovieQueen79
May 30, 2011
The only thing I liked about this movie was the song that is played in the beginning and at the end of the movie. The acting is weak and the movie is confusing. This is definitly not one Horrorfest movie I will not buy.
December 27, 2013
What a disjointed and confusing mess.
December 26, 2013
Classy Brit horror which brings intelligent horror to the Norfolk Broads. A disturbing mix of dark characters, darker secrets and sheer terror.
Little Dedo
October 24, 2013
The ending is kind of dumb, and overall, the film is just pretty forgettable.
September 21, 2013
With a flashback timeline so out of place half the movie you forget if the movie is any good or not.
FilmGrinder S.
November 30, 2012
"There's nothing to be afraid of boy, trust me, death's a blessing!"-Mr. Crocker (Geoff Bell)

They should have got Rob Englund to play Mr Crocker. This field of Bermuda reeds is damn near the same film as TRIANGLE.
October 22, 2012
Its a film that doesn't quite know what it is, its executed decently but it gets lost in its own ambition when it should of kept things simple. Its not one of the worse After Dark films however.
Darren Camponi
May 25, 2012
In "The Reeds," a weekend boating trip through the Norfolk Broads becomes a terrifying, deadly ordeal for six 20-something year old friends as they lose their bearings in the vast reedy tidewaters. The hope of survival and chance of escape diminishes as mysterious forces assault the lost and terrified group. I love horror movies, especially British horror movies but I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this movie. The story was quite bad with a few plot holes in the mix and it's quite predictable in places, you didn't really care for the characters at all but the teenagers who lurk in the reeds were quite creepy. The timing is pretty slow and would leave you bored in some scenes. The acting wasn't bad but it wasn't really good either, there's nothing I could say about any of the actors as none of them really stood out. The scenes weren't executed well but there were one or two moments that were done okay. The cinematography was decent but the direction was all over the place, it was awful. Towards the end, I honestly thought that the director had no idea where to go with the movie and decided to just throw scenes here and there hoping that it would make the movie feel eerie...it just made it confusing.

I am aware that's it's a low budget movie and I know that this kind of story has been done before but it still could have been something good. I like the kind of horror movies that are twisted and hard to understand until the end when everything's revealed and you're left shocked. Unfortunately, The Reeds is twisted and hard to understand but has no big finale and you're left with nothing explained. At the start, it felt like it was going to be something that was decent but then when they actually got on the boat, that's when things started to go downhill. Some parts of the story were nonsensical and there were some questions unanswered. There was no character development to be seen anywhere at all and none of the actors were really convincing as their characters, they had one or two moments but other than that, none stood out and all were forgettable as soon as they were on screen. The movie isn't anywhere near scary and it doesn't know what it is. First it's a slasher movie, then it's a ghost movie and then it's a slasher movie again, it wasn't very stable. It tried to have a lot going on but failed to fill in the gaps and left you with questions. It mostly felt like things were happening for no reason. Sometimes, there were random hallucinations and illusions and weird moments that were never explained. When you tried finding the answers and you tried thinking "what if", it made it worse as you just asked more questions and received no answers. There weren't really any good scenes in the movie but the worst thing about the movie was how it ended. It was predictable yet nonsensical, you'll see what I mean if you choose to see this movie.

I liked the location where the movie was filmed which is in the Norfolk Broads, it's a shame it wasn't put to good use. Overall though, it's really below average. There's nothing that will attract you to see this movie and there's nothing that will make you think that it's a decent horror movie.
May 23, 2012
totally confused the heck out of me........
jarrad b.
February 15, 2012
A fun confusing story that has some wild elements and a good mystery.

February 1, 2012