Relative Values - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Relative Values Reviews

½ April 12, 2011
Cute movie. Definitely a Julie Andrews G-rated nice movie..
jjnxn
½ November 18, 2010
Minor but pleasing comedy immeasureably uplifted by the participation of Julie Andrews, Colin Firth and Sophie Thompson. Julie uses her regal graciousness to fine comic effect while Sophie does her wonderful mousey bit before letting rip with a full on tongue lashing. Colin's part is small but he offers humorously urbane asides. Stephen Fry is also most enjoyable as the dependable butler. As the movie star couple though Jeanne Tripplehorn and William Baldwin are out of their depth with these pros.
September 8, 2004
[font=Palatino Linotype]For some odd reason, I seem to have found myself drawn to Colin Firth movies lately. I think I just like him. ;) This movie was quite delightful - a snobbish young British noble brings home an American actress to meet his family, and the matriarch (Julie Andrews) of the family must try to deal with the ensuing scandal of him marrying below (WAY below) his class. She does so beautifully, with the help of her young nephew? played by Colin Firth. The wit is purely British, and there are many quite funny moments. If you're looking for a nice humourous way to spend an evening, I'd highly recommend this one. Julie Andrews is superb... and strikingly similar to her character in [b]Princess Diaries[/b]... odd.[/font]
March 5, 2015
Another one of my favourites that I can watch over and over again!
½ May 8, 2013
cute and witty is the best way i can describe it. very much like in the vein of importance of beng earnest...its all about the witty situations and escalating conflicts between estranged characters...great cast led by julie andrews. william baldwin and jeanne tripplehorn were perfect as the superficial hollywoodites totally out of place in the posh uppercrest of english country. supporting casts were great with stephen fry and mousey sophie thompson.
½ October 4, 2012
Not a bad film to have with your dinner
½ January 15, 2012
Funny film about a self overated actress trying to scheme her way into English nobility only to be exposed big time. Interesting plot .
½ June 26, 2011
Love it! Fluffy, charming, funny. The play must be just as amusing. My love for Julie Andrews will never die.
May 29, 2011
Nice movie, nothing more.
May 15, 2011
Not great, but entertaining. Colin Firth made me giggle.
½ April 12, 2011
Cute movie. Definitely a Julie Andrews G-rated nice movie..
March 4, 2011
Since watching this movie for the first time, I couldn't stop - I have to watch it at least once every two days now. It's fantastic :)
March 1, 2011
Surprisingly enough, it packed enough of a charmingly witty punch to keep me playing along. It's a droll, delightful thing - as much so as it can muster - being a romantic British play adaptation. If nothing else, watch for an (as usual) impeccable delivery from Colin Firth.
½ January 27, 2011
A great movie for those who are fond movies of that genre.
jjnxn
½ November 18, 2010
July 31, 2010
Julie Andrews and Colin Firth are hilarious as upper class representatives scheaming away and Stephen Fry talks the regular American to death as a fine worded butler. A Noel Coward play, witty and sarcastic. I was just disappointed in the end as I thought Colin Firth would get together with William Baldwin :). Would so have been the right move!
½ July 27, 2010
I simply like it!!! Great actors.
½ June 3, 2010
simpatico filmetto di poche pretese
½ July 13, 2007
Very enjoyable, though people tend to exaggerate a little bit; I wouldn't call it a "masterpiece". Still, each of its 87 minutes are delightful. Julie Andrews and Colin Firth are wonderful (as always), but Sophie Thompson really steals the spotlight. She is just great.
May 6, 2007
Great, british humor! Love it! Colin Firth is gay! Yay!