Remember the Titans Reviews

½ July 5, 2014
Sports dramas tend to follow a specific set of guidelines to tell its story. Ever films in the genre seem to embody the feel good aspect that has been a staple of the genre since the early sports movies, and I'm fine with that. With Remember the Titans, we have a good drama that is based on real events, and does something a bit different than your normal genre film, but it does add the typical elements that are we come to expect with these films. What is great about the film is the fact that it adds a lot to the story by showing the racial tension, and in doing that, the plot becomes more intricate, engaging and thought provoking. The performances are very good, and there several that stand out, especially that of its lead actors Denzel Washington and Will Patton. The film tackles an important subject that goes beyond the sports dramatic genre, and it does it pretty well. However, I did feel that at times there could have been a few improvements as well. Remember the Titans is a good film, but one that should really have stood considering the subject the film displays. If this wasn't released by Disney, then maybe a much better movie would have been made. This is good for what it is, but you end up wanting more from its story. For a sports film that uses the issue of race in its story, this film really should have been memorable. But what we have here is good entertainment, but to viewers wanting a bit more, you'll be a bit disappointed because like all other genre films, it is a tad predictable, and it left a lot of unexplored ideas that just never came to fruition. Nonetheless, Remember the Titans is a good story, one that showed teamwork in the face of prejudice, and in the end it's all that matters.
July 28, 2013
Denzel Washington leads the team on a charge until the final whistle in Remember the Titans, a grand and inspirational football film. This Walt Disney classic is a primitive display of adversity and courage. The amount of chemistry from the then-segregated gridiron warriors was remarkable and helped propel this film as a truly great and heartfelt sports movie for every generation to experience. 5/5
½ August 3, 2010
Extremely formulaic sports drama, but with a great leading performance from Denzel Washington, this film becomes something more special.
October 2, 2011
Very inspiring and touching film, this is Denzel doing what he does best.
June 24, 2011
Really enjoyed this film!
April 12, 2011
This movie was just okay. It had a nice plot but in the end it was just another football movie. Acting was pretty good, and the moral was pretty sweet. Its probably me, but I expected more. In the end it was an average football flick for me.
January 9, 2011
this was one of the best football films ever made.
½ July 31, 2008
Never get tired of seeing this movie, super inspirational! Best football movie ever made! Acting was superb!!!

In the early 1970s, two schools in Alexandria Virginia integrate forming T.C. Williams High School. The Caucasian head coach of the Titans is replaced by an African American coach from North Carolina. Tensions arise when players of different races are forced together on the same football team. Many of these tensions are eased during the two-week training camp in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. When players returned to Alexandria the players found the city in turmoil due to the forced desegregation of the high school. As the season progresses the team's success caused the community to accept the changes. After the Titans' perfect season, the team and the city were closer than ever.
July 21, 2010
½ February 1, 2009
I'd avoided this movie for quite long since it fell under the "Sports" genre, a genre that doesn't cater to me in general. However, this one turned out to be exceptionally well done & I thoroughly enjoyed it (though I feel that the sub-genre "Drama" contributed more to my liking the movie here). Performance-wise, almost everyone's done a great job, but I found Denzel, Patton, Ryan Hurst & Claire... err, I mean Hayden Panettiere to be the most outstanding of the lot. Also, the movie surely couldn't have been as great as I felt it to be, had it not been for its excellently penned dialogues. The director has played all his cards perfectly here, & has used all the emotional & dramatic tactics amazingly to bring home an incredibly entertaining, cheerful "feel good" movie. I, for one, will surely Remember the Titans.
April 28, 2010
I mainly have no respect for this movie due to the fact that it is everywhere. Over-hyped would be nice compared to what this is. I don't think you can mention sports movies without someone mentioning this very average film. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table and isn't by any means a well written or directed piece. Sure, the cast is nice and have chemistry together, but it doesn't make a movie timeless.
April 16, 2010
"They came together when their classmates and loved ones would not."

The true story of a newly appointed African-American coach and his high school team on their first season as a racially integrated unit.

Disney is famous for creating never-never lands. They've done it here as well. The film is well produced, reasonably well acted and compelling in its own way. But it's as much a morality play and about as realistic as Little Red Riding Hood, full of soap opera scenarios, predictable turns of plot and guys in white hats and black hats. (Or is that football helmets?) And of course, they all live happily ever after. (Except one guy, but we can't give that one away, can we.) Based on a true story it may be. But I suspect the politically correct bunch at Disney took a lot of poetic licence. If you like "nice" pictures you'll like this one. Maybe if they had animated it, it would be more believable.
March 23, 2010
Extremely touching! It had of the best stories I have heard in a while. I was nervous seeing this movie, because I thought I was going to be bored out of my mind, considering how many football movies there are, but I was amazingly surprised. To top it off, Denzel washington put out a great performance!
½ May 24, 2009
If real life racism where that easy. Hm. Notice the lack of racial slurs that would have really existed in really life. Jus' sayin'.
½ September 14, 2009
In the racially segregated early 1970's, many high schools, especially in the South, were still either all black or all white. It seemed like there was no way to succesfully mix the two races at the time in certain parts of the country.
"Remember The Titans" is about Coach Boone (Dezel Washington) coming to a white high school in early 1970's Virginia to take over the head coaching spot from the extremely popular and classic Coach Yoast (Will Patton). Not only is this a big deal because Coach Yoast is so popular with his team and the school, but Coach Boone happens to be black and Coach Yoast is white. But this doesn't mean anything to Coach Boone because he just wants to win, no matter what it takes.

I'm not going to reveal much of the main plot itself other than to say that "Remember The Titans" is mainly a film about showing how different races can either come together, work together as a team and get along, or not come together at all.

"Remember The Titans" is without a doubt one of the best films of the year 2000. It has everything in it that football fans could want, such as fast-paced action on the field and hits that seem to be harder than a 50-MPH truck. But even more, it's about two different races who try to come together as one.

Denzel Washington is the true star of this film, but almost everybody, football players included, did a great job of portraying their characters in a realistic sense. As for Denzel, this is without a doubt one of his best efforts to date, if not his best.

Growing up in and still living in Alabama, I've seen and I still see a lot of racial segregation between blacks and whites every day. Myself, I'm not prejudice, I believe that people are people, that we should be judged on who we are, not what color we are. That being said, I believe "Remember The Titans" shows a great example of how racial prejudice could be overcome. Not saying that football is the answer, but teamwork and friendship could be.

I can't put everything about how great "Remember The Titans" is in words because that would mean giving away the biggest surprises and too much of the plot. Just as long as you like drama movies or if you've witnessed first-hand the difficulties between blacks and whites in your life, but you don't agree with it, at least watch "Remember The Titans." If you feel strongly about the subject and especially if you like football even one bit, go ahead and purchase this film. It will be money well spent. NOTE: That was my Amazon reviwe from the year 2001.
July 31, 2009
really moving
August 21, 2007
One of my favorite movies. This one has such a simple story, but such a good message, well portrayed by the cast. It has a great soundtrack as well.
½ December 28, 2007
"Left side!
- Strong Side!"

What other and better way is there to brake racial lines, than making a sports drama? Right now, I can't come to think of any other ways. Sports is a perfect way to make strangers do anything for you and especially the team.

Similar films like "Remember the Titans" were released in 2006. on a short period of time, for example "We are Marshall" and "Gridiron Gang". This film was released six years earlier. Any differences between them? Not that much.

"Remember the Titans" is based on a true story. Well, these sport stories end up being fairy tales and so is this one. A mixed bunch of black and white high school footballers learn important things about each other and end up becoming a Team.

Watching them do it, is made in a very entertaining way. The young actors do a nice job and the same can be said of the old geezers, like Denzel Washington and Will Patton.

If your a sports fan, you'll obviously love the film but I'm still waiting for the perfect sports drama where the greatest sport of 'em all is featured... Hockey.
½ January 11, 2007
This was great, but I have to ask, how many more inspriational football movies will they make, particularly ones where a black coach leads a nearly all white team to victory, conquering racism and controversy in his path? Anybody seeing a pattern besides me?
December 14, 2007
I usually don't like sport movies, but I've realized through this that I LOVED it. A really touching true story about integration in every aspects. And plus, it made me put an interest in the sport side, which is one of the best I've ever seen.
Great work.