Renaissance Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Renaissance Man Reviews

½ May 21, 2011
Penny Marshall's Renaissance Man almost could be a really good film. Unfortunately, the script is so repeated.
September 10, 2009
I can't believe that only 10 people have wrote a review for "Renaissance Man." I thought it was a lot more popular than that and I know that it deserves all the praise and popularity that it can get! Bill Rago (Danny DeVito) takes a job as a teacher in the Army even though he doesn't have any teaching experience and doesn't really want the job. Yeah I agree that that does sound a little far fetched, but not all movies have to tell a true story!
Bill doesn't exactly know what to teach about, so he just teaches the 'students' about something he really likes, the book, Hamlet. Will the army students enjoy learning about Hamlet or will they think it's boring? Will Bill Rago be a good teacher or a fluke? I recommend watching the movie to find out.

I thought "Renaissance Man" was a great movie. Unlike what many people might think or might had heard about it previously, it's not really a full-fledged comedy movie. Danny DeVito is hilarious in the movie and the part that I'll remember the most from the whole movie is one of the funniest parts I've ever seen in any movie!! I couldn't quit laughing at the part where Danny DeVito got to the top of a tall place in the army, and he has to try and work his way down with a rope even though he's TERRIFIED of heights. "Renaissance Man" has a few other hilarious parts, but really when it all comes down to it, it's more of a drama movie and more of a feel-good movie than it is a comedy. Not that that's bad, but that's the only complaint I have whatsoever about the movie, it could've had a few more hilarious parts where more people would have given it rave reviews and remembered it the rest of their lives. However, it wasn't bad enough to take away any of my rating for it, so I still give it a 5.

If you like great comedy/drama movies, I recommend getting "Renaissance Man." You'll laugh your head off and feel the drama at the same time. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. That's just BS...this was 8½ years ago that I first saw the part where Devito's trying to scale down a wall? Seems like yesterday!
January 5, 2008
Enjoyable enough to check it out. Features a young Wahlberg, and Danny DeVito is very funny.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 25, 2007
pretty funny
January 5, 2007
I remember seeing it when i was younger. It was funny.
August 1, 2007
6/4/2014: Maybe not a great movie, but does have some really great moments and gives a great message.
May 2, 2012
There are dozens of inspirational teacher movies, but this one is by far the best! 'The choices we make dictate the life we will lead'
May 18, 2010
Another clever comedy that has been forgotten over time. It's like a light hearted Dead Poet's Society with a military twist.
October 29, 2009
This will always be a personal favorite of mine just because its more of a down to earth story than an "out there" comedy like most are from the '90's. I think my biggest fancy with this movie is the fact that "Double D's (Dumb as Dog Shit)" learn shakespeare in order to comprehend more. I developed such an appeal for this movie that i would always pop it in at night and watch it as i went to sleep. i love Danny Devito's acting in this movie, it's nothing special but i really liked his acting style in this movie. 10/10 for me.
October 3, 2009
Pretty funny. Has some really inane moments, but it does remind you of why DeVito is considered so funny.
½ January 19, 2009
A vey good movie. It teaches a lot on English Litature. Danny DeVitos charater in this film is great. It's a great Enclish class movie. Whach & learn some great Shakespear.
August 31, 2008
Mark Wahlberg, Kadeem Hardison, Stacey Dash, Danny Devito were great in the class room. Learning about Shakespeare really turned my life around.
½ January 1, 2007
One of my favorate movies that got me more involved with Shakespeare. Danny DeVito gives his performance to teach a class in the army of how they should look at surviving out of the Army world. Delightful, funny, and clever.
April 24, 2008
the closest to basic and advance training i've ever seen.. it's suppose to be basic training but its not likely that could actually happen.
February 24, 2008
One of my favorite dramedies. Danny DeVito is great in his heartfelt performance. This movie is also known as Mark Wahlbergs big screen debut. Stacey Dash is also in this. She's beautiful. In My Opinion.
½ December 28, 2007
This is a great, entertaining movie. I usually scorn movies about English teachers but "Renaissance Man" is different because it doesn't take itself too seriously. This is one of Marky Mark's earlier movies and he's pretty good. Overall, if you haven't seen it, give this movie a chance. Favorite scene:
Bill Rago: Write about the magical twist of fate that prompted you to gravitate towards this institute of imbeciles.
Pvt. Jamaal Mongomerey: What?
Bill Rago: Write why you joined the Army.
December 27, 2007
This is awesome, this movie made me fall in love with Stacey Dash.. DeVito is fantastic and super funny.. I love this comedy!
½ December 19, 2007
saw this on a plane coming from germany back in '94. the story was enjoyable and the message was nice, but it seemed to go too long and drag on with a lot of the same stuff. overall, a fair time killer.
½ November 28, 2007
I used to watch this on satellite all the time, maybe about 100 times a month.. used to love it, now it's dumb.. but I'll give it props.
½ May 20, 2016
Funny and with a few heartfelt moments, Renaissance Man features a solid and inspiring underrated performance from Danny DeVito.