Resident Evil: Damnation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: Damnation Reviews

September 21, 2012
Right I'm gonna be honest here and admit I lost the plot with Resi Evil along time ago. I had the very first original game and followed the plot easily. Since then the story has spiralled off in various directions and has morphed into something quite different from the original simple idea.

Thusly I am completely unable to determine if this new CGI animated sequel is accurate or follows on from any part of the numerous videogames. Of course the bottom line is if you wanna see a good proper Resi Evil flick then this is what you watch, unlike the comicbook style live action films.

Yes this film is bloody and violent with no holds barred on what you expect from the Resi Evil franchise. I'm confident any fans will get a kick outta this new offering with some great creature action, zombie action and your obligatory slow motion action sequences which show off the crisp CGI to the smallest pixel.

For me...I didn't really like it. Why? because the plot is sooooo so unexplained, do you have to be a Resi Evil fanboy to get this? No reason for anything that happens or why, characters are dull and stereotypical plus it just feels like a long videogame ingame sequence, but I guess that can't really be helped. I also found the CGI to be very very good on the human characters, especially facial close ups, but rather average on pretty much everything else! Lip syncing on speech is still somewhat lacking and looks a bit crappy.

As for plot points, I didn't like the fact certain humans can now control the Bio-Organic Weapons through their mind via some kind of technological advancement. That advancement being an 'Alien 3' rip where by the Bio-Organic Weapon uses a human host to live in which creates a connection between the two, eh? I also didn't understand where all this BOW's came from either, this one guy controlled them and there seemed to be a never ending stream of the things...from nowhere.

Other issues cropped up like the zombies going round stuffing these embryo type things down uninfected peoples throats. I guess they were the BOW embryo's that would enable humans to control them, but why would the zombies be doing that? who is controlling the zombies? oh my!
Finally who or what on earth were these huge pale bald Mortal Kombat looking characters in the finale?? Just popped up from nowhere, virtually indestructible and looked like the alien space jockeys from 'Prometheus'.

What really bugs me about Resi Evil now is the fact its become a kind of monster mash with no real suspense anymore. Its just a guns blazing, blood spilling, in your face monster brawl along the lines of Mortal Kombat, the original spooky horror element has faded away for pure adrenaline soaked action. I also feel the whole idea has been milked too much and the Umbrella company lost its mystery yonks ago.

This is definitely the kind of Resi Evil film your looking for if your a fan but for uninitiated folk like myself it may seem a bit hectic and raise many questions. Questions like...what on Titan is going on here?!
½ February 17, 2013
It was fun to watch and understanding that it is not the game makes the film easily enjoyable. This animated film really capture buildings and the beautiful environment really good that makes the movie more pleasant and the plot is for Leon Kennedy's major role.
The CGI is VERY well done and the English voice acting leaves little if anything to be desired. The storyline is simple and recurring characters are portrayed faithfully. The fight scenes are choreographed very well.
September 27, 2012
16/02/2013 (Online)
½ December 26, 2012
Makoto Kamiya continues the Resident Evil animation franchise with Resident Evil: Damnation.Regarding the plot, it does have plot holes and it is light on details, especially early on; however, the final 30 minutes of this 90 minute production tend to pick up with more action and sci-fi fun.Visually, the CG that makes up this film is better than good, giving it a more mature and realistic look. The action is entertaining and over the top, but the film does make an effort to keep things down to earth when it can.While the look of the characters is a plus, the mouth movements to match the dialogue needs work. This is probably the most challenging piece to work on, so it doesn't deserve a whole lot of criticism. As for the voice work, it is acceptable.By the end, Resident Evil: Damnation is an enjoyable CG viewing.
July 7, 2013
Not as good as Degeneration, but still a nice edition to the Resident Evil series. I like how it sheds some light on the events in Eastern Europe that set up most of the campaigns in Resident Evil 6.
September 26, 2012
(3 Stars) Geez, when did a movie based on a zombie video game become so political? I'll give Resident Evil: Damnation points for trying something new with the plot, but it's weird covering real world issues when there are a ton of ridiculous things about it... and yes, I've played the games and I know how ridiculous and contrived those are. I'm not sure when Leon became a dick, but I guess when you shoot a ton of infected people over and over, you'll probably be an angrier person too.

Damnation isn't a terrible movie though. There's a gory fight between two of the well known villains of the game that's extremely cool and will please fans. The action is pretty imaginative and there are some tense moments when it goes into a first-person perspective. Damnation isn't the best action/horror movie, but it's a pretty good Resident Evil movie.
½ September 23, 2012
Not bad. This is the anime. Set in Russia an American fights to survive against an army of creatures. The action was really good. The anime looked pretty bad ass. It's getting closer and closer to real. In the next 5 years I bet we wouldn't be able to tell an anime from a real movie.
September 18, 2012
This flick was so weird...But it was typical Resident Evil style action and the works with plenty of monsters and parasitic driven zombies. However, I am more use to the T-Virus driven zombies,,,But this one was okay none the less.
½ November 13, 2015
Resident Evil : Damnation is very good as an animation and has lots of action/horror. The story is nice and keeps you entertained till the very end.
½ August 29, 2015
With beautiful CGI and hit and miss dialogue that the series is known for, this will strike with fans of the series but few others
May 25, 2015
The best video game movie ever made. Period!! A dream come true for any Resident Evil fan. The film has superb animation and voice acting. The setting remains loyal to the RE games and the final boss Tyrant is spectacular and a real homage to the ultimate RE baddy. Hats OFF Capcom, what a SUPERB film you have made.
March 13, 2015
I can see the only reason this was made was for a "take that" on the live action movies. This one remains a lot more faithful to the games and still entertains well. A rarity of a good video game movie.
November 25, 2012
To be honest, Resident Evil: Damnation is by far my least favorite of the Resident Evil films. Then again, as you can see, that's not really being negative on account of my very positive 4/5 rating. Many would probably say that it's the best of the Resident Evil films, but I still have great fondness for the wild Milla Jovovich antics and I don't mind that those films don't exactly follow the games that I also enjoy. This entry, though flawed, is still a whole lot of fun to watch, especially for fans of over the top action flicks.

The story follows Agent Leon Kennedy who has been sent to the fictional Eastern European country, Eastern Slav Republic, to investigate the country's possible use of BOWs (Bio-Organic Weapons). But before he can begin his mission, he is informed that his mission has been aborted and that he is to retreat immediately.

But, being Leon Kennedy, he promptly ignores the order and goes on the hunt for BOWs, which is immediately confirmed when he has a run-in with Lickers in a parking garage. These Lickers are different however, and even though Leon is vulnerable to be killed at one point, the creature does not at the command of its master and Leon is instead captured by rebel fighters.

Meanwhile, the mysterious Ada Wong, posing as a BSAA agent, meets with the country's president and she reveals that there is a way to control the BOWs for war purposes, which intrigues the government officials as a way to help them in the country's civil war.

Soon Leon and Ada find themselves entangled in the country's civil war plus the over the top Resident Evil brand of biological warfare as a number of the series' favorite creatures make an appearance to duke it out with each other and the humans. Now, Leon must find a way to put an end to all of this to save the world yet again (Damn, this poor guy never seems to get much of a break does he?).

My biggest problem with this Resident Evil entry is its storyline. It wants to be a super-serious political film with torrid drama thrown into the mix, but it also wants to do this while ridiculous scenarios play out like Ada Wong getting into a wild martial arts battle with the country's president like something ripped straight out of a wild Hong Kong action flick or The Matrix. I will give Damnation credit for being rather ambitious in a franchise that is not particularly renowned for storytelling, but its ideas become muddled and create a genre dichotomy that doesn't quite work. I actually became confused trying to follow the storyline because it goes all over the place.

When it comes to the acting, the voice acting is actually quite good and shows a significant improvement from the franchise's early days of hilariously bad voice acting ("You were almost a Jill sandwich!"). It was actually professional and the actors were able to make some scenes that would have fallen flat and made them feel sincere and believable (Well, most of the time, there are a couple of scenes that no one could make sound good). As a whole, the voice acting is terrific.

The best part of Resident Evil: Damnation is the action. This film features some of the most ridiculous and over the top action not only of the franchise itself, but also among virtually any action film released over the last 15 years. The fight scene with the president alone is the shining pinnacle of this film's lunacy and it was an absolute hoot chock-full of excitement and what-the-fuck moments. There's also plenty of other martial arts battles, zombie mayhem, creature mayhem, explosions, gun battles, and more (Including what is quite possibly, the most bizarre anti-suicide scene in the history of cinema. You have to see it to believe it).

While Resident Evil: Damnation partly suffers because it takes itself far too seriously for its own good at some points, it's still a damn fine loony action film. It's a wild ride from start to finish and one of the more bizarre entries of an already strange franchise. Even if you've never played the games or seen the other films, this one is worth watching if you love ridiculous action films.
½ September 27, 2014
Again a better screenplay than the human-acted editions, but the "boss" battle was a little much.
½ August 31, 2014
"Damnation" is way better than this predecessor. It's better constructed and way more interesting to watch if you're not a big fan of the franchise. But there's still ridiculous elements and unremarkable characters.
½ August 10, 2012
Looks interesting.... "Degeneration" was ok and in comparison to W.S. Andersons Movies actually pretty good, so I hope this will be good to.
April 6, 2014
This is probably the best Resident Evil movie ever made. The animation is really good for a direct to video production spinoff of a video game and the writing is mostly very solid and the story actually kind of smart at times. That said its strictly for fans of the games as those who have never played any will likely be lost and it does have the feel of a video game cutscene with no gameplay. Still it serves its audience well enough even if its too narrowly focused
March 21, 2014
One line summary: Amazing animation accomplishment; not so amazing plot.

This is animation via 3d modelling tools coupled with recording of live actions. Looks wonderful; better, in fact, than many live action horror films that I have reviewed lately.

The main action takes place in a fictional former Soviet bloc nation, Eastern Slav Republic, that came into existence after the fall of the USSR. The film follows an American agent, Leon S. Kennedy, who goes rogue during the continuing civil war in ESR. The rumour that Leon wants to check out is whether or not the rebel forces in the civil war are using BOWs (Bio Organic Weapons). Leon encounters a BOW almost immediately.

President Svetlana brings in Ada Wong from the BSAA (Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance) to look into the allegations. By themselves, the BOW are useless (attack friend and foe alike), but if a plaga is applied, control can be asserted. Sounds tricky. Leon needs to get some sort of evidence of all this. So does Ada Wong.

The things that look like zombies walking around in Eastern Europe seem to be humans enslaved by plaga attaching themselves to spinal cords. Great. I was expected a high quality zombie film, and got a no zombie film.

Will Leon or Ada get the evidence they needed? Will the ESR survive as a country?

Art/Animation: 10/10 Exceptional; I'd like to give it a 73 out of 10, but 10 is tops. Most of the film looks great. Loved the fight sequences between Ada Wong and President Svetlana.

Sound: 8/10 Sound leveling could be better. Going from fight-action music to/from conversation is a disaster.

Voice Acting: 7/10 This varies a lot. Matthew Mercer, Wendee Lee, and Courtenay Taylor were good. Val Tasso was mighty irritating. Most of the others were competent.

Story: 4/10 Wow. Terrible dialog in so many places. Is this a civil war film, a zombie film, an east vs west film, a biohazard film? The connections to Resident Evil seem weak.
January 29, 2014
Even better than Degeneration. Both CGI Resident Evil movies are great. The live action movies need to go die in a fire.