Resolution Reviews

March 30, 2015
Even if the plot drags in the first two acts, eliminating the tension and making the mystery feel bland and not engaging, this is an interesting effort that finds a curious balance between humor and horror, with a smart meta-twist in the third act that justifies all that came before.
Francisco G.
May 31, 2013
A nicely thought concept, executed with a lot of attention to detail that suffers from it's ubber small budget that give away dead moments and humor that is just not funny and doesn't work to keep the mistery alive. The "twist" was decent even if heavy handed, when the rest of the picture was subtle on exploring it's mysteries and concepts.
½ September 4, 2014
Resolution is a helluva surprise. It's a wildly creative concept that suffers from so-so execution. But anytime you encounter something brashly interesting in the horror genre, it's wise to sit up and take note. While Resolution has got its kinks and flaws, I'll be keeping an eye on the directing duo who put it on film.
½ May 26, 2015
Humorous and with an intriguing story that keeps you locked in for 93 minutes.
Original and genuinely creepy with a good amount of suspense and mystery,
½ May 25, 2015
Seriously... what?! So.. err.. what?
½ May 19, 2015
It isn't hugely satisfying, however is a thriller-horror film that is inventive and provides fresh air to the genre.
½ May 6, 2015
It almost works and I wanted to like it, but in the end it just fell flat.
March 19, 2015
Any horrorfilm that deliberately sets out to play with the tired conventions of the genre is okay by me. Even if the meta-concept and its execution aren't 100 % on point.
March 18, 2015
The building of the unsettling and sometimes even surreal atmosphere is masterful. Moorhead & Benson understand that to make the scares work, the audiences has to care about the characters. Resolution is one of the best horror movies of the recent years.
February 14, 2015
An unexpected and mind-bending horror film in which nothing much happens but everything is already happening and then ...

The movie begins with a guy tracking down his crack-addicted best friend and handcuffing him to a pipe in a wall in a derelict house to try to keep him off the drugs long enough to make a decision about going into rehab. The tension builds minute by minute through dialogue, minimal music, unexpected camera angles, strange findings, strange people, and one of the lead's constant exploring that had me shouting at the screen "stop exploring!" It all leads somewhere, though, including one of the best lines of dialogue ever to end a movie.

The two leads are fantastic and often very, very funny. Their characters turn out to be surprisingly complex and one of my favorite scenes in the movie is a lengthy conversation that allows them a last shot at normalcy before the mind-bending resolution (see what I did there?)

Now I'm really looking forward to the directors Justin Benson and Aaron Scott Moorhead's next film.
½ January 13, 2015
I think this movie is trying to be more than it ends up being. There is a wonderful story that serves to be the launching point, but to what, I'm still not sure. The pure dread that permeates throughout is what really makes the movie more engrossing than a standard horror flick, but in the end, it brings more questions than answers.
½ December 30, 2014
Here's something I don't think I've ever said about a movie before - It would have been better without the monster. Otherwise, Resolution is tense, smart, and funny, with terrific chemistry between its leads. The supernatural angle just doesn't work.
November 18, 2014
Best film of 2013! A must see!
½ November 7, 2014
Everyone's agree that there's anything bad to say about Resolution. Even, I would like to have seen the final most original idea more projected throughout the movie.
½ November 6, 2014
"Resolution" had great promises at the beginning. But the film is confused and disappointing at the end. It's too bad because there's really good scares and performances here.
½ October 8, 2014
great meta-ass shit. slow dread, but no predictable pay-off. not quite sure if it was brilliant yet, but i do know it felt innovative as hell and i dug that a lot. outstanding chemistry between primary actors. simply a very cool flick.
½ October 4, 2014
It's a decent horror flick that's more story than scares. I like the two friends in this trying to help the other fight his drug addiction. It gets more intense and has a sense of fear as it goes along. It gets a bit trippy once it gets to the end but with all that said, I wish we saw more of the horror element that's in this.
September 14, 2014
I came into this thinking that it's a horror film, but it surprised me not knowing that it's more or less a comedy film then it is a horror film. Things do get creepy at the end, but that's it. But that doesn't make it bad although it was advertised differently. I thought it was a great movie and it is really funny. The premise is simple, but effective and got more complex as it goes on. The acting is really good and the interactions between Peter Cilella and Vinny Curran are really funny and they make this movie work. The mystery behind it is really interesting and I wanted to know what was going on. There was some stuff that kind of need to pick up the pace despite the fact that it is not an exciting film except when stuff was going on at the end, but that was the only flaw I can think of. I actually wouldn't find this if the director didn't direct his segment in V/H/S Viral, and I'm glad I did.
½ September 7, 2014
An unexpected pleasure! And I can't wait to see what co-directors Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead do next!
½ September 3, 2014
Too smart for it's own good, Resolution fails to create a memorable narrative. Yes, it's an interesting movie about the nature of a "story" aka film, but by the end (which isn't really an end) I didn't care about the characters or how their story resolves. What is the point?