20% The Identical Sep 05

Resolution Reviews

Francisco  G.
Francisco G.

May 31, 2013
A nicely thought concept, executed with a lot of attention to detail that suffers from it's ubber small budget that give away dead moments and humor that is just not funny and doesn't work to keep the mistery alive. The "twist" was decent even if heavy handed, when the rest of the picture was subtle on exploring it's mysteries and concepts.
August 30, 2014
interesting, the ending will divide people but I enjoyed it
August 11, 2014
Wanted to see it since it had 100% rating but the movie was too confusing.
August 2, 2014
This movie sucked ASS!!!!!! Horror??? Right!!?? Resolution??? NOT!
July 27, 2014
So terrible that I couldn't even watch it for more than 10 minutes (I always give any film 10 minutes just in case it is just a slow opening). How on Earth did critics give this 100%? Obviously, they didn't actually watch this garbage. The acting, plot, and comedic relief were all worthless. I can't imagine any scenario in which someone sat through this whole film, and then felt compelled to write a positive review on it unless they were held down with a gun in their face. Hands down, not even close to being worth my precious time, and I should be allowed to get some kind of compensation for the intentional infliction of emotional distress that the makers of this film put on me.
June 6, 2014
Can't really say much about this movie but that it's very intriguing.
May 26, 2014
Sooooo disappointing!! Not horror at all.
May 28, 2014
I should ponder more.
March 4, 2014
Strange, original, captivating, even pretty funny at times. The chemistry and performances from the two leads is fantastic. I still don't know what I think of the "twist" but I loved the movie as a whole. I really loved it.
May 22, 2014
the worst thing a movie can do is make u care for its characters.... and this is a horror movie...
May 11, 2014
Smart and well written, only to be burdened by apparent budget strain throughout the movie.
May 9, 2014
Resolution does for psychological meta-horror what Primer did for sci-fi time travel on a more than likely similar budget (or lack thereof).
May 4, 2014
Resolution (Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, 2012)

It has been slightly less than a week since I finished watching Resolution, and I still haven't quite figured out how I feel about the movie's final sequence. It's either brilliant or stupid, and I'm still balancing 50/50 on that line. Which is not to say that the rest of the movie isn't wonderful, which is why I decided to table that question for the sake of writing this review; be aware that you may end up loathing the last five minutes of the movie, but the ninety that get you there are well worth it.

Plot: Chris Daniels (Machine Head's Vinny Curran) is on an epic meth bender as the film opens, shooting at birds, playing with his dog, etc. We get the feeling this is not his first (this is confirmed about fifteen minutes into the film). Mike Danube (Ghost Game's Peter Cilella), Chris' best friend-in fact, Chris' last remaining friend-heads up to the cabin and, after a bit of subterfuge, handcuffs Chris to a pipe in the wall. Meth withdrawal takes a week and, Mike says, if Chris gets it all out of his system and then decides to go back to it, Mike will leave Chris to his own devices, but if Chris decides at that point to go into rehab, Mike will help him out. For the first twenty-five minutes of the movie, it's abut two guys in a cabin, one of whom is trying various tricks to get a hit. And then...things get weird.

I wrote those last sentences a week ago and I still don't know how I feel about that last sequence. I have read easily a dozen different interpretations of it, and I recognize that the fact that you can even get a dozen different interpretations of it out of it, even if some of them don't stand up to too much scrutiny, is in itself a good thing. The one that makes the most sense to me is kind of brilliant, but I can't shake the feeling that had it been handled just a little bit differently, it might have confused fewer folks. Yes, I realize the contradiction inherent in this paragraph; see why this movie has been smacking me in the head for a week? Regardless, however, the movie turns on the very good performances of Curran and Cilella; even after this stops being the two-person thriller the first third-ish of the movie sets up, the movie is still very much focused on these two guys, with other folks providing background color and a bit of information to help the astute viewer sort out the ending, or so I understand from some of the celluloid archaeologists who have concocted the more elaborate hypotheses about its ending. And even if the ending leaves you befuddled and arguing with your friends into the night or frantically scouring the internet to find out what it all means, the two-person-thriller aspect of the movie, after a slow start (this is not necessarily a bad thing; the opening montage is half hilarious and half heartbreaking), works like a charm. You want to give this one a look. *** 1/2
May 1, 2014
Watching this movie. Shit is intense. I've never see a psychological thriller like this before. I'm only 12 minutes in, too, and nothing 'weird' happened yet. Just the character's drug issue was wild. posting 5 stars on that performance alone
April 22, 2014
That shit was bananas.
January 30, 2013
Such an original way to do horror. So clever and thrilling.
April 16, 2014
Difícil, confuso e com múltiplas interpretações, Resolution instiga o público com sua constante metalinguagem e um quadro aterrorizante de deterioração da situação dos protagonistas. O cenário alternativo precisa ganhar mais destaque para obras inteligentes como essa. De negativo os diálogos bem cansativos (a palavra fuck e suas variações deve ser repetida umas 500 vezes) e é uma pena os personagens centrais não serem agradáveis, se fosse o filme seria genial.
John W.
February 26, 2014
Refreshing indie horror that plays with genres a bit, Resolution is all about storytelling. Well done humor and nicely layered oddity and tension (and some self-awareness), it keeps you captivated throughout. The interaction between the leads is one of the most honest I've ever seen and has such a real feel to it, that you'll gratefully forgive any improbabilities in the story. Indie fans, horror fans and film deconstructionists will all have a great time with this one.
Sarfaraz Abbasi
January 16, 2013
Resolution - suspense thriller (some call it horror - which is bullsh*t) co-written, co-produced, edited and co-directed by Justin Benson. Starring Peter Cilella and Vinny Curran.

Peter Cilella is in his early 30s, married and computer graphic-designer based in in city. He receives a video E-mail from his ex-college friend (Vinny Curran) in his hometown. Curan is a drug-addict living in a rented lodge in the bushes. Peter's wife unwillingly allows him to go back to his hometown, so that he can help rehabilitate his friend from drug habit. Peter handcuffs Vinny to railing, having weakened him with teaser-gun. Peter brings fine food and drinks from outskirts to feed Vinny. It is revealed that Vinny had lost packet of drugs, for which he has been receiving threats from ex-classmates-turned-drug-dealers. When Peter confronts them, Vinny warns him, saying, 'these kids are not what they used to be in the school, anymore' - Vinny is also threatened to move out of lodge by the bullying goons. Peter roams nearby area, meeting UFO following, hobos and an eccentric French researcher. One day the two see a video on laptop (which switches on itself) that shows them future premonition, in which the two are killed by drug-dealers - Peter and Vinny become optimistic from now on that place they have been staying in, is haunted.

Performance is good - actors do know what they are doing. Dialogues are average. It runs about 1hr.33min but nothing actually happens until 1hr.23mints have passed, yeah, phew!! I grabbed this film, since it was mentioned under 'horror' genre - what a miserable act of picking this one. My utter frustration with its deception has nothing to do with its moderate plot and acting. If you get the story (as I laid out here) then you are absolutely right to enjoy this; just don't expect it to give offer your jarring scenes.
December 27, 2012
Deeply unsettling, well-acted, smart, and alarmingly witty (thanks mostly to Vinny Curran), this one keeps you guessing until the end. The last 15 minutes or so had me cowering under a blanket, wondering what would happen next.