Reunion in France - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Reunion in France Reviews

deano
½ December 16, 2007
A romantic melodrama that is badly dated, especially considering the fact that it top lines John Wayne and he doesn't get the girl in the last reel.
There's been some criticism by other reviewers that Joan Crawford doesn't sound French. Then again neither does anyone else in the film. The rest of the cast.
jjnxn
June 26, 2008
Joan Crawford and John Wayne have zero chemistry, their acting style are completely at odds, the only thing they have in common is the first initial of their names which considering those are stage names pretty much sums up their relationship in this film, phoney. The direction is static which helps not at all. The MGM production values are as high as always but you could give this a pass and do something more worthwhile with your time.
½ January 16, 2014
pic bombed but i liked this WWII pic made during WWII and i liked the chemistry between wayne & crawford
January 18, 2015
A film worth watching and adding to your collection....
December 13, 2014
love how they met :D
½ March 28, 2014
Reunion in France is an excellent film. It is about Frenchwoman Michele de la Becque, an opponent of the Nazis in German-occupied Paris, hides a downed American flyer. Joan Crawford and John Wayne give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Jules Dassin did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Reunion in France is a must see.
June 1, 2012
This was a fascinating look at life and love in Paris during ww2. The twist was a wonderful surprise! Leaving me feeling warm and fuzzy
½ March 14, 2012
I'm Superman.

The Nazis have captured Paris early in World War II and they treat every non-German like a piece of trash. A French woman does her best to fit in using her good looks and persuasive ways to survive. She is still a servant but treated better than most of the French. When she comes across a United States pilot with a mission to execute, she reluctantly helps him hide from the Germans.

"Living doesn't mean just breathing."

Jules Dassin, director of Brute Force, Nazi Agent, The Affairs of Martha, The Naked City, and Topkapi, delivers Reunion in France. The storyline for this picture is fairly interesting and unpredictable. John Wayne and Joan Crawford play their characters perfectly and deliver their lines with the right level of intensity. The cast also includes Philip Dorn, John Carradine, and Ann Ayars.

"Is the war the only reason you don't love me?"
"I'm not at war with anyone. I'm in love."

I was scrolling through Joan Crawford pictures and came across this movie. It grabbed my attention when I saw John Wayne as the costar. I enjoy watching both actors and decided to give this film a shot. It wasn't outstanding but it was definitely entertaining. This is an interesting picture that is worth a viewing.

"I am the law. I hold the power of life and death in this room."

Grade: B-
June 16, 2009
Director Jules Dassin's contribution to the war effort, like most propaganda films - comes across as heavy handed drama. Not one moment do you believe that Joan Crawford is a frenchwoman. Nor does John Carradine IMO look and talk anything like a Gestapo agent. John Wayne gets second billing but he doesn't have much to do here as a downed pilot (a yank, of course) flying for the RAF. He spends most of his time hiding out from the nazis in Crawford's apartment. I thought the only reasonably interesting character might be Crawford's industrialist boyfriend (Philip Dorn) who turns into a nazi sympathizer. I do think there is possibly a germ of a good story here - the second half, at least, took an interesting turn. With maybe a little bit more rewriting and a LOT more believeable cast - this could have been a pretty good B movie at the very least.