15% Transcendence Apr 18

Reuniting The Rubins Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 10, 2012
"A movie full of odd-ball characters who happen to be apart of a dysfunctional family. My favorite kind of families. But this one wasn't as out there or nearly as dramatic for my taste. I like these types of films to be more darker. But it was OK. Entertaining. I thought most of the acting was good. Some a little bit over the top. But the interesting part was how different Lenny's children turned out. One a budah, another a Rabbi, one a complete ass, and the other off changing the world. It was an odd mixture, but an interesting one none the less. Not something I would watch again, but nothing I regret seeing either."
May 20, 2012
Horribly forced plotting, Like a sixties movie trying to put together elements to prove a point that didn't work. One or two nice moments awash in drivel. Also, the camera work was grainy and ill-lit.
March 23, 2012
I would give it an excellent rating. It was very relateable to me. The acting was totally convincing!
November 8, 2011
Very good movie. Well worth the watch.
November 8, 2011
I saw it with my wife last week. Really great movie. Everyone in the cinema seemed to love it too. I find the idea of a Bhuddist, a Rabbi, a Capitalist and a Socialist coming together at a family reunion great to watch. Great script.
November 8, 2011
A feel good family movie that's inspiring! Well worth a watch!
Definitely worth seeing!
October 25, 2011
Inspiring family friendly feel good movie
October 24, 2011
Endearing performances from Timothy Spall and Honor Blackman are the highlight of this comedy about a dysfunctional family brought together for Passover. The theme is hardly new and the comedy awkward at times, yet as a drama Reuniting the Rubins finds its feet. As the film progresses, the crassly generic personality types gradually give way to more genuine characters with complex motivations, aspirations and vulnerabilities. The crescendoing interwoven storylines add impetus, and as the film hurtles towards its conclusion it's hard to keep from smiling despite its various dramatic contrivances. These are people we care about, and perhaps see a little of ourselves and our own families in too.

Like its eponymous family, Reuniting the Rubins shakes off the negatives which might (justifiably) be levelled at its component parts and delivers an engaging film deserving of a wider audience.
Paul A.
October 24, 2011
I really don't get why the critics hate this film. Its warm, touching and ultimately leaves you valuing your own family more, regardless of their faults. Honor Blackman is suburb as too is Timothy Spall. But I have a feeling that British critics (unlike their American counterparts) do not sit comfortably with films that have "heart." Preferring instead the often dark and dreary rubbish we all too often make. Reuniting the Rubins isn't seeking to be anything but a wholesome slice of entertainment and it is a far better British film than many of the dreadfully dark and depressing films that critics all to often rave about, but which leave the general public baffled. My advice is go and see it and make up your own mind.