Ride Lonesome - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ride Lonesome Reviews

rubystevens
December 15, 2010
randolph scott, pernell roberts, lee van cleef and james coburn. not my favorite in the ranown cycle but still damn good stuff
Harlequin68
½ May 28, 2010
"Ride Lonesome" is an entertaining western with a good cast about a group of characters trying to escape their past. It starts with bounty hunter Ben Brigade(Randolph Scott) capturing murderer Billy John(James Best), intent on bringing him to justice in Santa Cruz. But first he has to get around his brother's gang. At a way station, they encounter two outlaws, Boone(Pernell Roberts) and Whit(James Coburn), who are helping Carrie(Karen Steele) mind the store since her husband went missing. Despite the men thinking otherwise, she can take care of herself. On the other hand, the situation gets even more dangerous when the stagecoach shows up with everybody killed by Mescalero Indians. That might interfere with Boone and Whit taking Billy back to Santa Cruz themselves in exchange for an amnesty which Brigade might have a slight problem with.
Dracula787
½ May 16, 2009
This is another film I ?watched? while doing other stuff on the computer. From a visual perspective, this is quite good. There?s some good color cinematography, good use of widescreen, and some really nice desert scenery. Otherwise, kind of boring. A short B-western that?s gained a bit of a cult following over the years. The plot didn?t do anything for me. Not much else to say.
January 17, 2016
The quintessential western. Perfect cast, great country, good guys verses bad guys and Indians. Given the time and place and potential they did the best they can. And it was very good even the somewhat lame romantic competition.
½ November 24, 2011
Ride Lonesome is a perfectly fine sort of western, but the problem is is that I saw Comanche Station a week before Ride Lonesome, and the the two movies are basically carbon copies of each other. The broader plot it different, but they share many similar character and plot points. The relationships between the female lead and Randolph Scott are the same, as are Scott and the main villain(s). The main villain in both shares a lot of respect for Scott, has a chance to kill him with his back turned and doesn't, later almost decides to walk away and live but then ultimately decides to fully confront Scott.l Even the villain's posse in both films get cold feet and are spared (kinda). Comparing the two movies together makes me feel like the scripts were made with a screenwriting book on structure, or something. To be fair, I guess it's more like Howard Hawks liking and recycling Rio Bravo so much that he basically remade it with El Dorado and Rio Lobo.
½ December 27, 2013
I told him I'd be alone after I buried you.

A bounty hunter and a young woman he encountered along the way are escorting a young man into town to be hanged. They are pursued by the young man's older brother. The young man, the older brother, and the bounty hunter seem to have a past that remains a secret to the young woman. The bounty hunter seems to be taking his time, not worrying about the pursuing brother at all. As the brother gains ground, a shootout and confrontation that explains their past unfolds.

"I don't know how much they're paying you to bring me in, but it's not enough. Not nearly enough."

Budd Boetticher, director of Bronco Buster, Bullfighter and the Lady, The Cimarron Kid, The Magnificent Matador, Comanche Station, and A Time for Dying, delivers Ride Lonesome. The storyline for this picture is surprisingly good and the characters were fascinating and wonderfully delivered. The script and action sequences were both perfect and the film was brilliantly paced. The cast delivers wonderful performances and includes Lee Van Cleef, Randolph Scott, Pernell Roberts, James Coburn, and Karen Steele.

"I shot myself in the leg once."

I DVR'd this picture because it starred the infamous Lee Van Cleef, one of my all time favorite western actors. He actually wasn't in this movie very much, but the main and supporting characters were awesome and I adored how the story unfolded and the ultimate conclusion. Overall, this is an underrated, epic western that is a must see for fans of the genre.

"I have no more use for him."

Grade: B+/A- (8.5)
½ October 2, 2010
Wonderful western--beautiful, effective minimalistic Cinemascope photography, terrific, taut writing, and perfect casting (Randolph Scott is particularly brilliant as the revenge-hungry bounty hunter). A low-budget B-western that works because of its craft and its emphasis on the characters and their relationships.
August 13, 2010
Mildly enjoyable revenge-themed Western. Decent performances and some good dialogue, but the film's best quality is its gorgeous scope cinematography, all those magnificent wide vistas and the final image of the burning tree. However, points off for some really vile racism, and a tinge of sexism too.
June 30, 2009
Don't know why, but this Scott-Boetticher western didn't do much for me. I think I was reminded too much of The Naked Spur.
January 6, 2009
Hardly a must-see, but it's short so it didn't take much space on my dvr. May the Fall-semester purge continue.
½ April 29, 2016
In the past year or so, I've made a determined decision to get more accustomed to pre-1970's films from around the world, particularly genres I've previously given short change to, such as musicals, war films and westerns. I have to admit it's greatly enhanced my appreciation of cinema in general. It's amazing how great some of these films actually are.

Since cinema is the greatest love of my life, I also collect books on film, trying to find out anything and everything I can. As the old Calvin Klein commercial goes, 'A man has many loves, but only one Obsession'. An unexpectedly great and relatively inexpensive find was 'The Editors of American Cowboy's The Top 100 Westerns of All Time,' from 2011. Looming at #52 was this, and its write-up sounded intriguing, so I've always kept my eyes open for it. Sure enough, last month I saw a Randolph Scott Westerns 6-pack for a very low price, and I pulled the trigger (pardon the pun).

This was exceptional and clearly deserves its lofty status. There is so much action, intrigue and beauty jam-packed in Burt Kennedy's script for this 72 minutes. Every shot is finely composed and exquisitely filmed. I dare you to find a better supporting cast. Sure, the four-hour epics by the Sir David Leans and Victor Flemings out there are great, but I'd rather see a simple story, brilliantly told than the gluttonous two-to-three-hour pieces of self-important crap you find these days. Let that be my epitaph.

I was so close to even giving this a perfect grade. It's honestly THAT good.
½ April 29, 2016

I was so close to even giving this a perfect grade. It's honestly THAT good.
January 17, 2016
May 10, 2015
My favourite Western of all time. A cracking script, tension, a neat twist, great performances - particularly from Pernell Roberts - and the beautiful rugged landscape of Lone Pine. The final scenes give it one of the most satisfying endings of any Western. The best Boetticher-Scott collaboration, which is saying something when you consider Seven Men From Now, The Tall T and Comanche Station.
February 20, 2015
Good not great.....should have been better with the quality of the cast on hand.
½ November 24, 2011
May 25, 2014
A smooth ride along bumpy trails--Entertaining oater - Look out for James Coburn's debut!!
½ December 27, 2013
I told him I'd be alone after I buried you.

"I shot myself in the leg once."

"I have no more use for him."

Grade: B+/A- (8.5)
½ November 22, 2013
Randolph Scott , Pernell Roberts , James Best , James Coburn leads the cast in this Cowboy epic,
Randolph Scott is a bounty hunter who sets out to capture A wanted murderer, Billy John, however all does not go to plan, soon he is joined by two outlaws he enlists the help continue his journey to Santa Cruz to take Billy John to be hanged.
Brigade stops at a staging post, where he saves the life of the stunning Karen Steele,Mrs. Carrie Lane from an Indian attack,
Indian attacks contiue, and they offer a horse for Mrs.Carrie Lane , this is refused so the Indians persist, also Billy Johns brother it following them to rescue his younger brother.
On top of that Pernell Roberts has fallen for the stunning Mrs Lane, a very enjoyable film,well acted and enough going on to keep the weakest western fan happy.
½ August 10, 2012
The last shot is good. Hello.