Ride Lonesome Reviews

rubystevens
December 15, 2010
randolph scott, pernell roberts, lee van cleef and james coburn. not my favorite in the ranown cycle but still damn good stuff
Harlequin68
½ May 28, 2010
"Ride Lonesome" is an entertaining western with a good cast about a group of characters trying to escape their past. It starts with bounty hunter Ben Brigade(Randolph Scott) capturing murderer Billy John(James Best), intent on bringing him to justice in Santa Cruz. But first he has to get around his brother's gang. At a way station, they encounter two outlaws, Boone(Pernell Roberts) and Whit(James Coburn), who are helping Carrie(Karen Steele) mind the store since her husband went missing. Despite the men thinking otherwise, she can take care of herself. On the other hand, the situation gets even more dangerous when the stagecoach shows up with everybody killed by Mescalero Indians. That might interfere with Boone and Whit taking Billy back to Santa Cruz themselves in exchange for an amnesty which Brigade might have a slight problem with.
Dracula787
½ May 16, 2009
This is another film I ?watched? while doing other stuff on the computer. From a visual perspective, this is quite good. There?s some good color cinematography, good use of widescreen, and some really nice desert scenery. Otherwise, kind of boring. A short B-western that?s gained a bit of a cult following over the years. The plot didn?t do anything for me. Not much else to say.
½ November 24, 2011
Ride Lonesome is a perfectly fine sort of western, but the problem is is that I saw Comanche Station a week before Ride Lonesome, and the the two movies are basically carbon copies of each other. The broader plot it different, but they share many similar character and plot points. The relationships between the female lead and Randolph Scott are the same, as are Scott and the main villain(s). The main villain in both shares a lot of respect for Scott, has a chance to kill him with his back turned and doesn't, later almost decides to walk away and live but then ultimately decides to fully confront Scott.l Even the villain's posse in both films get cold feet and are spared (kinda). Comparing the two movies together makes me feel like the scripts were made with a screenwriting book on structure, or something. To be fair, I guess it's more like Howard Hawks liking and recycling Rio Bravo so much that he basically remade it with El Dorado and Rio Lobo.
January 6, 2009
Hardly a must-see, but it's short so it didn't take much space on my dvr. May the Fall-semester purge continue.
February 20, 2015
Good not great.....should have been better with the quality of the cast on hand.
½ December 27, 2013
I told him I'd be alone after I buried you.

A bounty hunter and a young woman he encountered along the way are escorting a young man into town to be hanged. They are pursued by the young man's older brother. The young man, the older brother, and the bounty hunter seem to have a past that remains a secret to the young woman. The bounty hunter seems to be taking his time, not worrying about the pursuing brother at all. As the brother gains ground, a shootout and confrontation that explains their past unfolds.

"I don't know how much they're paying you to bring me in, but it's not enough. Not nearly enough."

Budd Boetticher, director of Bronco Buster, Bullfighter and the Lady, The Cimarron Kid, The Magnificent Matador, Comanche Station, and A Time for Dying, delivers Ride Lonesome. The storyline for this picture is surprisingly good and the characters were fascinating and wonderfully delivered. The script and action sequences were both perfect and the film was brilliantly paced. The cast delivers wonderful performances and includes Lee Van Cleef, Randolph Scott, Pernell Roberts, James Coburn, and Karen Steele.

"I shot myself in the leg once."

I DVR'd this picture because it starred the infamous Lee Van Cleef, one of my all time favorite western actors. He actually wasn't in this movie very much, but the main and supporting characters were awesome and I adored how the story unfolded and the ultimate conclusion. Overall, this is an underrated, epic western that is a must see for fans of the genre.

"I have no more use for him."

Grade: B+/A- (8.5)
½ November 22, 2013
Randolph Scott , Pernell Roberts , James Best , James Coburn leads the cast in this Cowboy epic,
Randolph Scott is a bounty hunter who sets out to capture A wanted murderer, Billy John, however all does not go to plan, soon he is joined by two outlaws he enlists the help continue his journey to Santa Cruz to take Billy John to be hanged.
Brigade stops at a staging post, where he saves the life of the stunning Karen Steele,Mrs. Carrie Lane from an Indian attack,
Indian attacks contiue, and they offer a horse for Mrs.Carrie Lane , this is refused so the Indians persist, also Billy Johns brother it following them to rescue his younger brother.
On top of that Pernell Roberts has fallen for the stunning Mrs Lane, a very enjoyable film,well acted and enough going on to keep the weakest western fan happy.
½ August 10, 2012
The last shot is good. Hello.
½ January 9, 2013
Another one of the Ranown westerns of the 1950s (starring Randolph Scott and produced by Harry Joe Brown), directed by Budd Boetticher. Many critics call this the best one, but it may depend on the order in which you see them (I started with Seven Men from Now, then The Tall T, and Comanche Station). Yes, Scott is his usual laconic self, harboring a secret that he is too stoic to reveal. Yes, he falls in with a couple of bad guys (including James Coburn) with whom he has an uneasy truce, despite their obvious ill intent. Yes, there is a quasi-love interest in whom Scott shows little direct interest. Yes, the movie drifts through a variety of terrains with the plot advancing during campsite conversations. Perhaps what elevates Ride Lonesome a bit is the nature of Scott's secret and what happens at the final meeting with Lee Van Cleef at the hanging tree (or in fact, directly afterward).
July 6, 2012
A well made western.
½ May 17, 2012
Ride Lonesome is an entertaining film. It is about a wanted murderer who is captured by a bounty hunter who intends to take back to Santa Cruz. Randolph Scott and Karen Steele give excellent performances. The script is good but drags a little in places. Budd Boetticher did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure. Ride Lonesome is a must see.
April 23, 2012
A classic western with classic stars. No western can be bad with Randolph Scott. Karen Steele is one beautiful lady too. Bud Boetticher Westerns are very realistic. A guy gets hit and a welt shows for the rest of the movie.
May 28, 2010
Friday, February 5, 2010

(1959) Ride Lonesome

Because the first time I had watched this film, I was completely oblivious of what the plot was going to be (except that I was in the mood to watch a Western), the only thing I'm going to say is that it's a ADULT WESTERN with a dab of mystery and suspense!!!! Of what I mean by ADULT is because it takes a little intelligence to go through the plot, since this film offers hardly any physical or actual action but alot of tension and bonding. This is not your typical John Wayne Western where physical gunfights are always expcted to happen!! This is a very well made subtle Western with easy going tension and mystery which soon reveals itself about questionable actions by Ben Brigade played by Randolph Scott.

It is also number six of seven Westerns Randolph Scott did with director Budd Boetticher. The others include starting with "Seven Men From Now", "The Tall T", "Decision at Sundown", "Buchanan Rides Alone", "Westbound" and "Comanche Station". Also starring Pernell Roberts first solid movie gig before going in to star in the hit show Bonanza. As well it is also James Coburn's first starring film role as Whit!!!

4/4