Riding the Bullet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ScoopOnline
½ December 19, 2009
Riding the Bullet was Stephen Kings "depressed phase" work I assume. lol
July 27, 2009
I liked this Stephen King adaptation of his short story taken from 'Everything's Eventual', the author's most recent collection. Mick Garris ('The Stand', 'The Shining (TV)') has not strayed too far from the path with this macabre tale of a hitchhiker who is offered rides from a handful of weird and wonderful characters one Halloween night.

The year is 1969 and Alan Parker (Jonathan Jackson) learns that his mother (Barbara Hershey) is dying of cancer, so instead of going to see Lennon and McCartney, the troubled teenager is forced to hitchhike back to his hometown. He is eventually offered a ride by a young man with a sinister secret. Parker is then forced to confront all the demons from his past if he is to survive what could be the last ride of his life.

Like the original story, the film has all the makings of a campfire tale. There are lonely stretches of highway flanked by tall pine trees - roads that are interspersed with graveyards and other dark places one shouldn't venture into after the sun sets. There are carnivals and rollercoasters. There are plenty of laughs as well as scenes that will chill your soul to the bone. Even Death himself makes an appearance.

Terrifyingly entertaining, 'Riding the Bullet' will also make you question what really is important in life.

Also stars David Arquette and Cliff Robertson.
April 18, 2009
Adapting Stephen King's internet released novel shows that anything King will be adapted. Riding the Bullet is a bit like The Dead Zone, in that it has a very episodic narrative. Jackson goes hitchhikes from car to car, with each driver being weird and creepy. Each driver also makes Jackson confront a part of himself. It's a repetitive formula that gets tiresome. It also has the last driver being David Arquette who goes a bit too crazy and borders on comical. Robertson is the best, he's slightly peculiar and unsettling. It's the only real time that the enclosed space and lack of real escape becomes scary. Decent enough, but should have been shorter.
½ February 3, 2007
Just watched it for the second time and remembered exactly how much I loved this movie. It's a kind of different take on death with a dark edge to it. Can't say I'm a King fan - book wise, but this movie definitely enticed me to pick up one of his books sometime.

It does a good job of reminding us of our own humanity and just how valuable our lives really are.

I recommend it to anyone, it's a rather interesting film!
nuheart
½ December 26, 2006
Somebody stop Mick Garris before he directs again! It doesn't help that this was a lame-ass story to begin with, but Garris' direction only serves to make it worse.
December 9, 2010
I am so glad I did not pay to see this, however I'm still annoyed off that I wasted 2hrs of my night. There should be a law against making such crap

If you have a lot of time to spare (and i mean a lot!) and absolutely nothing better to do, then still don't watch this movie as you will regret it.
½ October 4, 2008
The director obviously took a lot of liberties with the original King story. As a film on its own, I thought it was wandering, cheesy, and just generally mediocre, if not flat out bad.
½ October 25, 2014
It was all over the place but it was ok. I liked the scenes at the amusement park best. The story in the book is much better.
½ July 22, 2014
76%

"It seems the longer you live, the more God wants to kick you in the ass."-Farmer (Cliff Robertson)

One of Garris better movies (CRITTERS 2: THE MAIN COURSE is still my favorite).

-Fun is fun and done is done-
June 27, 2013
Bad movie. A little confusing, not scary, not even that thrilling. Poorly edited, poorly acted (except Arquette), and poorly executed. Worst Stephen King movie yet.
January 22, 2013
Mick Garris finally makes a real Stephen King movie. Very well done and I love the changes he made from the short story. King, I hope you liked this film!
½ March 23, 2009
The little bit of Stephen King reading I have done has been of extreme quality and you can sense that captured here in the story, but it really took the whole movie to get to that point.
September 12, 2012
What a scattershot piece of shit. Mick Garris veers wildly from sentimentality to straight up horror and back in this one that tries to be both types of Stephen King stories, the schmaltzy nostalgic ones that look back on the past fondly as well as the ones that feature freakily violent shocks and it didn't really work at all for me.

Maybe you'll fare better than I did; rental, perhaps?
February 28, 2011
This movie is basicly a man's journey hitchhiking to see hi mom that is in the hospital. I liked the movie but it sure did take a while to get to the meat of things. Although it is a horror film i actually felt really sorry for Alan and how much sorrow was in his life. This wasn't King's best film but it was a good watch.
½ February 2, 2011
B.A.D. acting. Terrible plot (from what plot there is). The story is so slow that you wish that things would happen now verses 15 minutes later. The characters are so twisted and stoned it's hard to tell where any of them are going, besides talking death.
½ June 14, 2010
There are scenes where the film, acting, writing, and everything else feels synthetic, but there are scenes where everything captures you and puts you in the film. It those scenes that are captivating and chilling. I love the main menu to it as well for it gives off a B-movie gindhouse nostalgia.
May 17, 2010
Didn't read the book, but the movie was entertaining enough. Take this for what it is...a movie. Overall, it was an okay movie
May 17, 2010
I'm never going to get caught up on my reviews. But I'm blaming my husband this time. He got me Roku for Christmas! Now there are too many movies at my fingertips!

[b]Enemy Mine[/b] is a movie I've been curious about for awhile. I remember it playing in the background of my childhood, but I've never actually watched it until now. And it's interesting, but it hasn't aged that well. Dennis Quaid ("The Express") stars as a soldier who crash lands on a planet with an alien with whom he is at war. Though mortal enemies, they begin to form a bond and learn about each other's cultures. The first half is a really good survival/learning tolerance movie. The second half is terribly cheesy and looses it's effectiveness when Louis Gossett Jr. ("The Perfect Game"), playing the alien, is out of the picture.

[b]The Day the Earth Stood Still[/b] is another remake that doesn't stack up to the original. Keanu Reeves ("The Lake House") plays the alien sent to Earth to decide whether or not we should be distroyed. And he does an okay job of it. He sometimes seems a little too detached. But the reason this movie is only mediocre does not really lie on Keanu's shoulders. It's the story. I know that when doing a remake, you have to make the film your own, but that doesn't mean taking out the heart of the original and putting nothing back in it's place. And if you've got a giant robot, use it right, people! The effects are amazing. Someone took care of Jennifer Connelly ("Reservation Road") unibrow so that didn't drive me crazy like it usually does. And little Jaden Smith ("The Pursuit of Happyness") is just as adorable as his pops. It's not an awful movie, it's just not very good either.

I have a thing for evil kid movies, and the original [b]Village of the Damned[/b] is a perfect fix. A village in England is affected by a strange phenomenon where all the residents fall asleep for several hours. After they awaken, all the women turn up pregnant. And when the kids are born, they all have blond hair, strange eyes and powers. At first, the film is just interesting, but then it gets tense as the children grow older. It's more intellectual than explosive. A very good watch.

I also have a thing for Stephen King adaptations. I know, there's definitely something wrong with me. I caught [b]Riding the Bullet[/b] on Sci-Fi one night, and I'm not sure whether I'm happy or sad about this fact. A college kid in the 60s learns his mother is in the hospital and then tries to hitchhike home to see her. Of course, he sees a lot of crazy things and meets the ghost of David Arquette ("Hamlet 2") who forces him to make a terrible choice. The story is good. It is King after all. But the execution is not that great. Director Mick Garris ("Desperation") is just too in-your-face with the camera and the cutting.

When I was young, I loved [b]Dick Tracy[/b]. And you know what? It's still good. Oh yeah. Director/star Warren Beatty ("Town and Country") has a commitment to the character that really makes the whole thing work. Plus the color and the sets just feel like the cartoon. And Madonna ("Arthur and the Invisibles") is perfect on the soundtrack and as Breathless Mahoney. Sure, it's a little cheesy. But it's also totally fun. And you won't believe all the big stars covered in make-up.
May 17, 2010
Alan Parker (Jonathan Jackson) is a young, struggling artist studying at the University of Maine whose work is haunted by images of death. Believing he is losing his girlfriend, Jessica (Erika Christensen), Alan's obsession with the dark side pushes him to try to take his own life on his birthday. rent it