40% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

R.I.P.D. Reviews

Everett J

November 5, 2013

I've heard this compared to "Men in Black" a lot. While the premise is similar, "Men in Black" is a much better movie. Here, Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds star as officers for the R.I.P.D(Rest in Peace Department). They basically fight dead people who shouldn't be on Earth anymore. I'd say in some ways this has more in common with "Ghost" than "Black" because of Reynolds trying to contact his wife. There is some good humor, but the story is weak and the effects aren't up to the standards that most movies have nowadays. Although I will say, the city being torn apart towards the end is pretty impressive. But the dead people look very fake. I'd say kids will probably enjoy this some for its campy nature, but really, it's just not a very good movie. Not unwatchable, but you'll end up wishing it were better.
Phil H

October 24, 2013
So I found out this film is based on a Dark Horse comic book which instantly got me somewhat excited truth be told. Yeah I heard all the negative buzz flying around about the film, bad reviews, the fact it bombed blah blah blah...but as we all know you should always see the film and make your own decision right. So yeah I was pretty curious about the whole thing mainly because of the premise which seemed dark and cool. It felt a bit familiar with another certain film sure but I put that to the back of mind.

Well that didn't work, no sooner has the main character been killed and sucked into plain waiting room, the 'MIB' copyright stands up marches down to you and slaps you across the face!. But wait there's more, this isn't just a complete rip off of 'MIB' (could almost be a sequel/prequel), there are heavy elements taken from various other films like 'Hellboy' 'Ghostbusters' and 'Beetlejuice' with all the paperwork and bureaucracy of the afterlife...to a degree.

In general I really got the impression nothing had been fully thought out here, there are some nice ideas, hell the whole plot is fun enough but its been made poorly. First off nothing is really explained too well, why exactly do dead people who don't manage to make it to judgement turn into monstrous ghosts over time? they seem to decay, why?. While I'm talking about them how come the living can see them?! they are ghosts right. Then there is the terrible way the main characters can mingle amongst the living and not get recognised by people that may have known them when they were alive. Again they are ghosts, how come the living can see them plus the fact they look like different people or have new bodies just came across as lame and cheesy. I realise being a ghost doesn't mean you can never be seen, heard or cause damage but all these characters just act as though they aren't dead, you'd never guess this was about ghosts if you didn't know.

Everything seems so wafer thin in conception, there doesn't appear to be anything in place to stop the living finding out about the afterlife and all the monsters. When some ghost monsters run amok downtown that's it, everybody knows about the paranormal being true, no going back, the cats out the bag. On top of that I can't believe that kind of thing has never ever ever happened before, really? with all those huge crazy ass ghost monsters...never ever?? come on you're shitting me. The whole structure of the plot seems so fragile, one pick and it topples.

The gold pieces that form that religious statue thingy, it opens up lots of typhoon-like storms and somehow makes all dead people come back to the realm of the living...wut??. Why would someone create such a device? what would be the point of it? how would anyone benefit? and why doesn't God do something seeing as the film hints at an almighty power above (and below).

So much more could of been done, when 'Nick' arrives in the Boston division of the Rest In Peace Department, the entire reason behind what has just happened (his death) is explained in about five minutes. No sooner is he told he accepts everything and joins the R.I.P.D. without a moments thought, no questions, no disorientation...nah he's good. We don't really see any background action or characters in the afterlife, there is nothing going on, its totally bland and boring mainly because they are trying to copy that Will Smith film. The interior of the Boston Division is seriously taking the piss with the pinching of ideas Jesus! it may well be close to the source material (or not) I don't know, but visually its virtually a copycat. Now I'm not saying the film had to be quirky and kooky like 'Beetlejuice' but its simply screaming out for some depth, something other than plain white walls and grey office furniture.

Its not all bad, as said there are some nice bits. I did like all the cops from different eras within the R.I.P.D., the handguns are quite neat looking and Bridges does play the rootin' tootin' yeehaw! wild west lawman to a tee for sure (if you can understand him, sounds like he's got a gob full of tobacco). Naturally I COULD compare his character to the grizzled 'Agent K' and on the same note I could compare the wet behind the ears Nick to 'Agent J'...but that's way too obvious. I could mention other scene for scene sequences but its not worth it, you only need to watch the trailer to get the gist, this feels like the low budget version of 'MIB'.

Yep that's right I said low budget, the film generally looks awful with shoddy CGI, uninspired ghostie monsters, cheap looking sets, costumes and above all errr...shoddy CGI. The CGI would have looked great about maybe ten years ago. Oh anyone notice there isn't anyone around in the city street sequences towards the end, totally deserted! where has the population gone?!. I hate to say it but it does look like an average video game, the old cliche I'm afraid. Looks like the critics are right with this one, a pretty poor looking formulaic CGI filled shambles that is clearly heavily influenced by many things (or was it the comic book that was heavily influenced?).

Had this gone straight to DVD then you could look on it more favourably. On the other hand had it come out before 'MIB' over sixteen years ago, you could also look on it way more favourably. But as a major summer blockbuster release?! with those visuals!! come on guys seriously.
Stuart B

October 19, 2013
fairly poor, like a bad men in black meets ghostbusters.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 18, 2013
To protect and serve the living.

Good movie! There is plenty action and a fair amount of comedy. there were some plot holes and the ending left a few unanswered questions. This is not a blockbuster or a classic movie, I would classify it as a good popcorn flick. Contrary to many other opinions here we both recommend this as a watchable movie, as long as your expectations are reasonable.

A recently slain cop joins a team of undead police officers working for the Rest in Peace Department and tries to find the man who murdered him.
Thomas J

July 2, 2013
Going into this movie, you should know what to expect and with that inn mind you should be able to enjoy it for what it is - a comedy.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 1, 2013
Intriguing and engaging concept but fails to fully appreciate its own making, amusing in places, can't help but feel someone else could have executed it better. Other than that watchable.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 23, 2013
R.I.P.D is an awful mess of a film, one that is a blatant rip-off of Men in Black, except now instead of Aliens, it's dead people. The film is a poorly constructed affair with poor performances from all involved. The only thing that stands out here is the effects and even that it leaves a lot to be desired. This film could have been good if they didn't copy another film. There was so much potential here, instead they just waste it all on a movie that is clichéd and predictable. I really didn't enjoy it, and I thought it was a film that simply wasted a good cast. Jeff Bridges is a great actor and one of my favorites as well, but here he is just tiresome, going through the material with no enjoyment in trying to create something watchable. Can you blame him? The film is crap, pure and simple. I really didn't enjoy myself in the theater watching this, and the comedy here is bland, almost nonexistent. At least Men in Black, though not a great film was fun and entertaining, this, this is just a bore fest. Avoid the film and watch something else instead, you'd be glad that you did. This suffers from a poorly thought script that is filled to the brim with unoriginality, and you can clearly see it falling within the first twenty minutes of the film. Really don't expect anything with this film, just expect being heavily disappointed and walking out angry that you actually spent the money on seeing this. This is the type of film that you watch if you see it airing on TV and even then, I'd suggest you avoid it. R.I.P.D is also among Jeff Bridges worst movies. This is a terrible, pointless movie that should have been great if the ideas in the script were better.
Drake T

August 2, 2013
I think the highlights are really Parker, Bridges and Reynolds being able to deliver laughs when they have to, but in the end their efforts are squandered by a shallow plot, formulaic progression and really lazy CGI work.

Also, is it just me or was the camera work incredibly dizzying and distracting?

I don't know, the whole project just felt like a lazy "Men In Black" to me.
Liam G

July 30, 2013
That one star is for Jeff Bridges, everything else sssssuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkssssss.
Lanning :

July 24, 2013
This one wanted to be funny, but it failed. About the only laugh in the theater came from the line about the towel doing too much work. That really had nothing to do with the main thread. That's not good. On the other hand, there was lots of action and special effect work. But that couldn't save this movie.
Apeneck F

July 22, 2013
The many comparisons are apt as Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds bicker some in this not just Men In Black but Men In Black III cop buddy clone. There is some good here (Bridges has been mining his feisty old timey Westerner since Trie Grit) but it gets buried in some mucho over-the-top CGI nonsense meant to lend anxiety but only distancing the piece from reality, and me.
George F

September 19, 2013
RIPD is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. That's the good news. The bad news? It's not nearly as good as it could have been. The premise is actually quite solid. The universe it creates has many very intriguing ideas that aren't fully exploited. Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Bacon are both perfectly fine and once you get past Jeff Bridges hammy accent, even he is entertaining. So where does it go so wrong? For one, most of the visual effects are on par with the first Spider-Man (which would be fine if this were ten years ago). Second, the tone in the comedy is very inconsistent and switches from intelligent and witty to moronic and immature far too often. There's a decent movie in here somewhere, and maybe it can be found in the comic it's based on. But at the end of the night, RIPD is a moderately enjoyable mess.
Shawn M

April 20, 2013
D O P E, how ever i couldnt help but think i was watching M.I.B, yet catoring to dead people, but everything about it was awesome. can't wait to grab the bluray to watch it again.
Dann M

August 7, 2013
A formulaic, by the numbers buddy cop film, R.I.P.D. covers familiar territory, but with a slight twist. The story follows a murdered cop who's recruited into the Rest In Peace Department, which hunts down escaped and missing dead people who are hiding out in the world of the living. The cast is fairly solid and includes Ryan Reynolds, Jeff Bridges, Mary-Louise Parker, and Kevin Bacon. However the CGI work is awful, and takes the audience completely out of the film. The writing is also particularly poor, relying heavily on cliches and stereotypes. There are some entertaining moments here and there, and Reynolds and Bridges have some comedic chemistry, but R.I.P.D. is a stale and predictable film that's not made very well.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

January 11, 2014
Is it me, or does "R.I.P.D." carry a harsh rhythm that makes it sound like a rap group or something? Oh, you know they're bringing Ghostface Killah back in this film, and even if that is just a play on this film's lead's profession as supernatural justice-seekers, it still makes me scream, "No", it just doesn't help that this film is pretty mediocre. Now, it's not that bad, folks, but it's still not that bright, and you need only to look at its title to figure that out, because R.I.P.D. stands for "Rest in Peace Department", which does not address the fact that this is, in fact, some kind of a police department, leaving you to wonder why they don't just call this "R.I.P.P.D.", or, you know, just cut out the lame "Rest in Peace" pun altogether. Okay, fine, it's a cute little acronym, but the fact of the matter is that this film clearly doesn't take itself as seriously as such other Dark Horse Entertainment efforts as "30 Days of Night" and... um... I don't know, "Timecop". Man, the Dark Horse company has always been kind of silly, and it's also been all about unconventional super-police and the supernatural, so this is actually about as definitive as anything Dark Horse Entertainment could have put out without having 300, polished Spartan warriors... fighting the supernatural. As over-the-top as "300" got, even in the comics, you know that there was plenty of supernatural stuff going on, thus, we have further evidence that Dark Horse knows its silly properties, and how to make that silly stuff fun on the silver screen, you know, up to a point. Forget an amalgamation of common Dark Horse Entertainment property themes, this is more like a combination of "Dylan Dog" and "Men in Black", in that it is that perfect fusion into mediocre that may not even be as decent as "Men in Black", but is at least not "Dylan Dog", and for a couple of reasons.

The effects have their flawed moments, some of which are embarrassing, especially considering the substantial budget of $130 million, but when the effects convince, or at least work on their own level, while they don't stand out, they color things up with nifty concepts, particularly when lively action set pieces kick in. The action is often frantic, and is consistently conventional in staging, which is still delightfully dynamic, with stylish momentum that may not carry that much of a sense of consequence, but highlights entertainment value established by the very storytellers who cannot prevent mediocrity from piercing through the fun factor. As far as storytelling is concerned, this film is a borderline disaster, but it's not as colossal of a failure as some are saying, as there are indeed highlights, even within a sloppy script by Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi that has more than a few funny moments and cool set pieces, while Robert Schwentke's utilizes style and some tight areas in storytelling to keep pacing brisk enough to entertain, maybe through and through. Needless to say, entertainment value is very limited, as the film is just so blasted mediocre and lazily done, partly because the frantic pacing wears down on you after a while, yet there are offscreen highlights in storytelling that I have to commend through my teeth before I can boast about the onscreen highlights that, quite frankly, are about as strong as I was expecting. This film is so messy in so many places that it would have even slipped into laziness in the acting department if this cast wasn't so respectable and talented, thus, if nothing else is consistently about as inspired as it can be, it is the performances, at least those by our leads, with Ryan Reynolds capturing the confusion of a man gradually growing used to his new life as a dead man, while Jeff Bridges just plain steals the show, as usual, pumping a boisterous charisma to the brim, until you end up with a delightful lead who is more memorable than the film itself. Honestly, when Reynolds' and Bridges' charismas bond, some pretty solid chemistry is built, and while that isn't enough to save this effort, even when backed by highlights in style and entertainment value, the worthy dynamics of the leads and other genuine strengths reflect what the final product might have been: a genuinely decent opus. As things stand, however, the film falls hard into, not just forgettability, but mediocrity, having its strengths, sure, but having a whole lot more flaws, even within technicality.

As I've been saying, there are plenty of technical, or at least stylistic highlights (If you can't completely pull it off, at least make sure it's well-polished), but there are also plenty of questionable technical spots, which range from shoddy moments in the generally decent effects, to frantic, sometimes downright choppy editing by Mark Helfrich whose sense of freneticism goes exacerbated by uneven structural pacing. Well, maybe uneven isn't the best way to describe this film's pacing, as storytelling never slows down all that much, having a briskness that often carries liveliness, yet just as often gets carried away with its freneticism, which leaves plotting to go awkwardly and unevenly slam-banged, with a sense of repetition, if not monotony, and superficialization. The near-exhausting plotting structure, alone, distances your investment by thinning developmental depth into dissipation, while watering down tension after a while of bland repetition. Of course, there are other problems in Phil Hay's and Matt Manfredi's to further distance, and whether they be fall-flat moments in dialogue and humor, or lame-brain set pieces, they go backed by overblown directorial storytelling by Robert Schwentke that feels about as cold as it does lively. Unfocused storytelling has a brisk momentum to it that offers a consistent degree of entertainment value, but there's no real fun factor, just a distancing lack of inspiration in misguided direction and mediocre writing that reflects laziness about as aggravatingly as conventions. Really, to tell you the truth, this film's mythology and basic premise concept carry plenty of genuinely unique elements, but quite frankly, in the long run, potentially refreshing material is ultimately betrayed by a glaring genericism within most everything from Christophe Beck's score to writing and direction that wears down on momentum, until the final product finds itself treading along an annoyingly trite path which feels lazy enough without the lapses in inspiration within storytelling. The film is completely and utterly forgettable, and we've seen films of this type in the past that were just that, but still decent as simple fluff pieces, but with this particular film, I find difficulty in emphasizing just how great its flaws are, for as bad as I make them sound in this review, their consistency throughout the final product is aggravating, maybe not to where the film slips through mild entertainment value and into all-out contempt, but certainly to where this misfire falls into mediocrity.

In closing, highlights in the effects and action compliment an entertainment value that is kept going to some extent by inspired occasions in writing and direction, and by thorough chemistry and charisma between Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges, until the final product borders on decent, only to fall flat under the overwhelming weight of technical lapses, overstylization, uneven pacing and lazily under-inspired, trite writing and direction, which make "R.I.P.D." a mediocre misfire of a messy supernatural buddy comedy, through all of its potential.

2.25/5 - Mediocre
Dannielle A

September 3, 2013
Quite silly. I felt like I was watching a combination of Men in Black meets Ghost meets Ghostbusters.
SC007
SC007

August 6, 2013
The film is a disappointment. They had a good idea for a film, but didn't execute it correctly. It felt like they were copying Men in Black and that was a bad move. The creatures look like they came from Men in Black.

On the positive, I did like Jeff Bridges in the film. He does have a good on screen chemistry with Ryan Reynolds. Mary Louise Parker steals the film. Reynolds seems to try to make the best he can with the material he is given to work with. Kevin Bacon seems like he did the film for a big pay day.

Skip the film, see Men in Black instead.
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

August 6, 2013
R.I.P.D. from the pages of a decent funny book, this Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges double starrer retraces the steps of M.I.B. so closely but poorly that the entertainment factor quickly becomes D.O.A. In the very first frame (or the digital equivalent), the audience gets saddled with some piss-pour CGI and a phoned-in VoiceOver intro. But sadly, it only gets worse from there. One gig later, when the stubble-faced GQ model-looking hero cop pulls onto a oh-so-secret crime scene in a car show-ready GTO, you know where this comic book a-crap-dation is headed: the discount bin at your local Big Box store.

In this PG-13-rated supernatural actioner, a just-slain cop (Reynolds) ascends to a team of undead police officers (Bridges, etc.) called the Rest in Peace Department and tries to find the partner (Kevin Bacon) who murdered him.

Fool us once, shame on Ryan Reynolds. Fool us for the Nth time, shame on us. After giving show-stealing star-making turns in hit (Definitely, Maybe) after hit (The Proposal) after hit (The Croods), the actor finally delivered his punchline: Indeed, he also delivered the same note-for-note performance in flop (The Amityville Horror) after flop (Green Lantern) after flop (The Change-Up). Here, he sadly runs the gamut from A to B again, but his turn is not nearly as disappointing as that given by Jeff Bridges. No one can blame an actor for taking a gratuitous payday, but grabbing a 7-figure paycheck for doing a water-downed version of your own take on Rooster Cogburn in the Coen Brothers' True Grit? Oh, for shame, Lebowski!

Bottom line: Meh in Black.