Rize - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rize Reviews

RJ Smoove
June 26, 2010
Having lived in Los Angeles for the last decade, I was here when Krumping was a big thing amongst the inner city youth. I didn't live in the same neighborhoods, but I went to school in South Central for a couple of years. So I got to witness the dance first hand. When I first saw it, I laughed at it. To me it looked like nothing more than controlled flailing. Just swinging your arms around with balled fists, rolling your body like a stripper, jumping around, fake fighting and not much more. After seeing this documentary (which got snubbed for at least a nomination for Best Documentary), I realize that it is so much more than that. To the kids that are in that world, it is everything to them. It keeps them out of trouble, it gives them something to do besides play sports.

I really have to commend Tommy the Clown for what he did. I've seen him at a party once, but I wasn't too familiar with his movement back then. What he has done is bring hope to kids that had almost none. Without his guidance, a lot of the kids in this film would be in gangs, in jail, doing nothing productive at all, or possibly dead. That alone makes this a film that everyone should see. I wanted to give it a higher score, but I still have trouble taking Krumping, as a form of dance, seriously. Still, this is an excellent film.
July 25, 2012
A dull little documentary about dance. Compared to the incomparable Pina, Rize is bush league.
zeravenyoej
July 21, 2007
I only watched a half hour of this and already had more than enough. But hey, if you love to watch people from the ghetto uttering half hearted, believe-in-yourself cliches while performing at first appealing, then off putting "dance" moves, then this is the movie for you.
½ May 16, 2009
It was interesting to watch the krumping I guess, and it's great that it's keeping kids out of gangs, but I didn't find the film that compelling. At the end after the dance battle, it's kind of like they're rival gangs anyway...
sjcole4
April 21, 2008
For a movie that's about dancing (albeit the power of dancing) this is a really good movie!! By the end of the movie you completely understand "krump" is more than just a form of dance to its creators...and that is truly the beauty of this movie.
August 23, 2006
Hilarious. There is nothing funnier than seeing Tommy the Clown win the competition, then seeing him cry cuz his house got broken into. -1 star for the guy doing the stripper dance shirtless.
April 28, 2013
I don't like extended dance scenes that much so some of this was lost on me. I would have preferred more personal stories of the dancers. All that said, Lil C is a fine human specimen.
December 20, 2012
50 clown dance crews in L.A.!?!? What!? There sure are. Rize displays top notch Clowning and Krumping by Miss Prissy & Lil C (A judge on So You Think You Can Dance), but it's a little weak in the story --- i.e. the dancers personal lives. Still, overall it's got some dance footage that will blow your mind (even though it looks a bit sped up at times).
November 11, 2011
This is the first feature film by photographer and director David LaChapelle, and I think it's a great first effort. (He's also directed a number of music videos.) Rize is a documentary about "krumping", a hip-hop dance style that originated in LA. It's interesting to learn it started with some hip-hop clown dancing. LaChapelle doesn't just explore the dance itself, but also the lives of the people performing it. To them, krumping is like a cathartic release, where they can let out all their frustrations and emotions in a positive way. The film showcases several krumpers as they show off their skills, though I have to admit it felt a little repetitive near the end. I did like that this movie made me remember that I should be fortunate for the things in my life, because I often forget there are so many people out there who are worse off. As is usually the case for documentaries, you'll probably only like this film if you like the material it covers.
October 29, 2007
Photographer David LaChapelle makes a great debut as director of this scorching documentary that centers on krumping, a hip-hop dance that is just astonishing to watch. LaChapelle shows how krumping was devised in a clown act by Tommy Johnson in South Central Los Angeles in 1992, the same year of the infamous Rodney King riots, and then follows it evolution into a gyrating dance, used to express a myriad of emotion. You won't be able to look away.
December 9, 2009
A great way to showcase a brilliant form of dancing. This documentary takes you through the hardships, laughs, tears, and amazing dancing skills of some very interesting people.
October 4, 2010
These dancers are incredible and the documentary itself shares a lot about the dancer's personal lives trying to achieve fame.
December 21, 2009
A remarkable documentary about the rise of a new artistic dance form, "Clowning" or "Krumping" from struggling neighborhoods as an alternative to gang life. A large majority of the film feels like you're simply watching a music video of people dancing, but it's quite entertaining, none-the-less. I didn't know people could move that fast. If you're interested in hip-hop dancing or documentaries, you may want to check this out.
September 7, 2009
Beautiful, Epic, Passionate, Angry, Out of Control. This Movie Inspired me to do many things including Krump.
½ June 8, 2009
If you are a fan of the newest hip hop trends or are just a fan of modern dance in general, you have to see this film. The moves that these south central teenagers pull test the laws of science that rule normal human motion. Talent oozes from every participant in this film and as the film progresses you can really tell what drives these kids. Def worth seeing.
July 7, 2008
This was an interesting film that I just happened to catch on TV one day. The dancing was great and the added bonus is that I now know the exact difference between Krumping and Clowning.
October 21, 2007
A la fin du film, nous avions prevu avec Maylis de partir vivre dans les ghettos de Los Angeles, et vivre de notre nouvelle passion et finalement on a prefere attendre la sortie en DVD, mais l'intention etait sincere
January 3, 2016
A fantastic documentary from David Lachappelle about dance moves named Krumping. Insightful and interesting
½ November 4, 2015
Mostly a feel-good documentary, with only limited insight into the rest of the dancers' lives. However the positivity is uplifting, and the dancing fast and amazing.
August 13, 2015
Lightweight offering that gives little insight into the characters in this movie.