Road to Zanzibar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Road to Zanzibar Reviews

September 5, 2010
The second "road" movie seems to meander around Africa somewhere, I don't know about you but I've never heard of Zanzibar, weather or not it's Zanzibar, we don't know. They use all the obvious jungle jokes, it has it's moments, but it's mostly a routine comedy.
garyX
May 17, 2008
Hope and Crosby continue their travels across the dark continent as a pair of con men who meet their match in the form of hustlers Dorothy Lamour and Joan Marsh. Zanzibar was the second Road movie and this is where the formula was set with far more of the duo's fast talking bickering and less of the musical interludes. Bob Hope is now the willing victim of Crosby's hair brained money making schemes and the pair have become the immoral, back stabbing cowards we know and love! Lamour is far feistier as a rival con artist rather than the doe-eyed innocent of the first film and Joan Marsh is a welcome addition to the team. The script is little more than a string of excuses for various skits and slapstick set pieces but the laughs flow much more freely than in Singapore. Dated (especially the painfully politically incorrect opening titles), but still funny.
½ July 17, 2008
One of the weaker Road movies, but still plenty of fun.
½ April 18, 2015
The second "Road" film is a spoof of jungle films; not as wacky as future offerings, but still fun; Bing sings the hit song "It's Always You."
½ February 3, 2013
This is the second installment in the Road Series and it follows two con men who must go on the run which leads them to Africa. Crosby is pulled into saving Dorothy Lamour from a life of slaver. Little do the hapless con men know what her true motives are. They travel on a safari together and a midst the song and comedy love creeps up. Both believe Lamour has her eyes on them but then they figure out what is really going on and they head off on their own. However, all too soon they are captured by cannibals and it looks like they will become shish kabobs. That's when a little game of "Patty Cake" comes in handy and end the end everyone is reunited. There are some choice moments in this Road Film but I think it was one of the weaker ones.
August 2, 2010
Bob Hope and Bing Crosby make such a great team. i personally think that Hope steals the show, though. the storyline isn't exactly perfect: it seems more like numerous ideas stitched together. the movie is rather hilarious all the same and the situations the guys get themselves into is simply outrageous. entertaining.
July 25, 2009
All the "Road" films are great fun (except the last one). This is among the best. Bing Crosby and Bob Hope worked so effortlessly together, it's as if they are just clowning with each other at home. They clearly have a good time making films together and poking fun at each other. This is what makes their films so special.
May 30, 2009
so much better than 'Singapore'. the plot and some of the writing is still a bit hokey, but that's really part of the charm of these films. most of the comedy is spot-on, especially when they poke fun at their own movie-making style. the characters are also much more likable, especially Lamour's. Hope's antics are definitely the highlight--from his numerous double-takes to his wrestling match with a gorilla. a very funny movie.
February 11, 2009
This one wasn't as fun as some of the other "Road" pictures I've seen, but I can't get enough of Bob Hope's character in this one. Especially when he thinks he's finally going to have the girl... reminds me of antics I would have in such a situation.
March 5, 2007
I LOVE these 'Road to...' movies!! Bob Hope and Bing Crosby were super toghether!!
Throw in Dorothy Lamour and WOW! The laughs don't stop!
½ May 13, 2006
½ April 18, 2015
November 28, 2014
road pic #2 hey flixter wrong year!
½ July 22, 2013
Enjoyable old classic in this series and great to see Crosby & Hope in action along with Dorothy Lamour even if the story was lacking
½ February 3, 2013
August 7, 2011
A fun movie. Bob & Bing are a delight. Loved it.
July 2, 2011
Also known as a very good comedy movie, along with a great cast.
January 26, 2011
This is one of my top 2 "Road" movies! Bob Hope and Bing Crosby are hilarious together! They prove quite a comical pair, the way they interact and joke with eachother. They are very sincere in their acting, too. Looks like they had a lot of fun making this movie, and all the rest of them for that matter! Fun to watch, and very very entertaining!
September 5, 2010
½ August 9, 2010
The 2nd "Road to" movie takes Bob and Bing to the wild of Africa once again with Dorothy Lamour. The first movie seemed like the better one