Robot Wars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Robot Wars Reviews

November 2, 2011
Yes this is another big mech film which seems to be another second sequel, unofficial, to the original 'Robot Jox'. The Band brothers are at it again with their lovely tacky films but somehow manage to make them kinda good at the same time, this is normally down to the stop motion robot action which is great fun.

B-movie of course but lets be honest here, its just an excuse for more robot wars and not much else really, this time we have the original classic mech against a scorpion type mech. The whole film is again pointless with a thin plot but the over the top acting and shaky robot effects are just so fun to watch, love the constant multiple button/switch pushing by the robot pilots lol. This film is much better than the other sequel 'Crash and Burn', its like the original with plenty of robot hocus pocus.
April 15, 2015
As I recall, this was not so good. Robot Jox was sub-par, but this lowered the bar even more. Go see Pacific Rim or Transformers. Much better robots and much more action.
February 8, 2010
This movie is so negative it's like a walking minus sign. (Actual quote from the movie) It's a Full Moon picture, they try to sell you Puppet Master action figures before the movie.
½ September 11, 2008
In 2041, decades after the Great Robot War and Toxic Gas Scare, the American Southwest has ceceeded from the Union and is at a state of war with the "Centros", a state of uneasy peace with the remnants of the United States, and a trading partner of China. When the last known surviving giant robot--now being used as an armored, heavily armed passenger transport, is hi-jacked--it's up to renegade rebellious robot pilot Captain Drake (Paul) and the beautiful archeologist Dr. Leda (Crampton) to save the day by finding the burial site of the rumored second suriving combat robot, Mega-1.

"Robot Wars" is one of three movies produced by B-movie mogul Charles Band that featured giant robots piloted by humans ("Robot Jox" and "Crash and Burn" being the other two). I've wondered if they were inspired by Japanese cartoons or the then growing-in-popularity miniature and roleplaying lines from FASA called "BattleTech" and "MechWarrior".

"Robot Wars" answered my question for me. The costume designs and even the look of Mega-1 reminded me very strongly of "MechWarrior". Heck, the film even felt a little like a BattleTech/MechWarrior game with the robots and other technology being more interesting than the human characters.

This brief movie (it's barely over an hour long) is another example of a Full Moon picture that's too short. There is all sorts of back story that was needed for the film to be as good as it had potential for being. (What was the past history of Captain Drake and General Wa-Lee (played with sinister glee by Danny Kamekona)? It was obviously extensive, but we get to learn nothing about it. How did America disintergrate? Why do the Centros seem to be speaking something other than Spanish? These are just a few of the questions that popped into my mind as I watched the movie and I realized it was going to end without any explanations. (And some of the questions could have been answered if the script had been better. There's a scene that could have been easily been used to give us the Wa-Lee/Drake backstory, but it's instead wasted on some very unfunny jokes about how women can be horndogs, too.)

Although this is a film that's clearly made for young kids (or adults who are content if all a movie offers are neat stop-motion special effects featuring giant battle-bots duking it out and shooting laser beams at each other), I still think it could have benefitted from just a little more time being spent on developing the world in which it takes place. That could have at the very least made the film more memorable and lifted it from mediocre to okay.

I haven't seen "Robot Jox", but, eventhough the giant robot in "Crash and Burn" is more of a conversation piece that ultimately proves very important to the survival of the film's heroes, I'm certain those other two efforts are worth seeking out before you bother with "Robot Wars". (Of course, "Crash and Burn" and "Robot Wars" are both included in the 18-movie Full Moon sampler box, "Full Moon Archive Collection". Just know to leave "Robot Wars" to the very last.

Robot Wars
Starring: Don Michael Paul, Barbara Crampton, James Staley, Lisa Rinna, Danny Kamekona and Peter Haskall
Director: Albert Band
July 25, 2008
Trying to infuse a plot about plague victims and strife into a story where a giant robot fights a giant rebuilt robot just doesn't cut it.
April 15, 2015
January 1, 2014
This is one of 2 movies advertised as a sequel to "Robot Jox," the other being "Robot Jox 2: Crash and Burn." Neither sequel has much or anything to do with Robot Jox and you do not need to watch them in order. The only thing similar between the three is that they all have giant robots in them.

If this movie had been on MST3K it probably would have been up there with the best episodes. There is plenty to make fun of but it still has a comprehensible plot which is key for enjoying any B-movie. If you find humor in silly techno-babble and cheesy one-liners ("Remember the Alamo!") you will be in for a treat. The special effects are obviously not to the level of "Transformers" but they aren't as bad as "Godzilla!" either. There are no people in monster suits running around, just a lot of stop-motion models.

The bottom line: Giant robots fighting, cheesy one-liners, silly technbabble, and hott chicks. What's not to love?

It's definitely one of the better "So Bad It's Good" movies I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few).
½ September 16, 2012
will fucker that list as free online let see the movie
August 2, 2012
Far inferior to Robot Jox. It felt like the longest hour-long movie ever.
January 8, 2012
too much talk and terrible plot/characters in the film and barely any robot action. Trailer was better than the film
November 2, 2011

½ August 13, 2011
I'm a lover of robot films and post-apocalyptic worlds (both of which are in this film). Having loved Robot Jox (this is technically a sequel to said film), and seeing two robots on the cover of Robot Wars, I was all giddy with anticipation... until I watched the film.
The film opens with one robot being used essentially as an amusement park ride. While it is fun to watch stop motion robots, I was a little disapointed at first (luckily it does battle a tank early on).
Then you find out there are no more robots left. That this giant scorpion robot is the only robot in existence. Well isn't that great. Why put two robots on the cover only to find out there aren't two robots... or are there?

After a long drawn out and terribly acted, scripted and pointless romance as well as a clearly misguided subplot involving a reporter and her scientist friend trying to uncover a cover up (only to get scared and run away), we learn there is another robot; A rusted, hardly working, pile of junk robot. But due to the skills of its pilot (I think that's the reason but don't quote me on it) he manages to defeat the pilot of the scorpion robot and alls well that ends well.

So while I did get to see two robots fight, I had to sit through a bunch of crap to get to it. The movie isn't bad if you fast forward through all the dialogue and just watch the stop motion robots. Of course, then you'd miss all the story and the reasons for the robots fighting... as if that matters.
February 8, 2010
April 1, 2009
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't think this actually was intended as a sequel to Robot Jox, since the two movies had nothing to do with each other except both feature giant robots. This one wasn't even fun, it was just boring.
½ March 15, 2009
Best part was the fake robot fight at the end.
March 11, 2009
½ February 20, 2009
While I certainly appreciate stop-mothin animation, it can only hold me over for so long. This was awful when I was 9 years old and it can't be any better now.
½ February 10, 2009
Such a great, terrible movie. Giant fighting robots piloted by people... it gets no better.