62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Rock And Rule Reviews

Lafe F

November 12, 2008
A classic animated comic-book Rock adventure! Great songs by Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Cheap Trick, Debbie Harry and others. It's a great fantasy science fiction setting with rockers, a demon, heavy ogre guards, a beautiful singer and her devoted band. It's a fun ride with mature themes; not for kiddies. A treasure from the early 80's which CBC used to broadcast.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

November 12, 2008
I see the appeal, just not a big of fan of this one. I do love Bakshi though.
Duncan R

December 3, 2009
It was equal parts good, and equal parts bad. The voice acting was atrocious, the animation was good. The heroes were annoying, the villain was totally awesome. The story was pretty weak, the music was fantastic (seriously, if there's a soundtrack album for this movie out there, I want a copy). The references to other movies were uninspired, the musical sections were unlike anything I've seen before (in a good way). It was a movie I don't regret seeing, but aside from a couple bits here and there, it's not one I'd like to see again.
shitfaced8
shitfaced8

October 28, 2011
An alright Canadian made, poor man's Heavy Metal. Thts not to say that this isn't good, it's just not great, and throughout the whole thing I kind of wished I was watching Heaby Metal or a Ralph Bakshi flick. The story was pretty cheesy, and the music dates this movie pretty badly. The animation is pretty cool though. Especially the monster at the end. All in all worth a watch, but far from the best of this kind of genre. See the appeal for sure, and even liked this, but when all is said and done I was underwhelmed and probably won't be revisiting this movie anytime soon. Worth a watch though.
Remi L

January 23, 2010
Eh, it was alright. It was an excuse for me to hear old rock music to old school hand-drawn animation.
Marion R

November 12, 2008
I probably would have enjoyied it more if I liked the songs before hand, but not bad animation, a little boring at time, but then again that's just me.
January 3, 2012
I enjoyed this one well enough, though it never really grabbed me 100% because the animation seemed to be more important than the actual storyline, which made very little sense to me as far as why the Mok character wanted to destroy the world to...destroy the world? I dunno.

The animation is fun to watch, but it's also amusing that all of the people in the film are mutated animals in the post apocalypse.

Worth a peep.
robertfangirl
April 18, 2009
This movie is gripping and with great characters that add with the comedy and the action for this movie.
Astrotrain
November 12, 2008
Outstanding animation and music make this one to catch. Its set years after WWIII where the only survivors mutated from Dogs, Cats and Rats, and Mok a ledgendary superstar wants to raise a daemon and take over the world, but he needs a special voice to sing the song to do it. Meanwhile you have a band lead by Omar and Angel (who we find out is the special voice Mok needs) who are trying to make it big. Mok finds out and offers the band...er..um..Angel a contract... this leads to Mok ever so closely to his evil plot. The music that is in here, is from the 80s, (Blondie, Cheap Trick, Iggy Pop, etc). This was based on "The Devil and Daniel Mouse" (which is included in the 2 Disc release of this movie on DVD)
himenovixen
November 12, 2008
I saw this when i was six and have been hunting it for years, it's now on DVD and you bet i own it. must see.
July 23, 2014
Some have compared this film to Heavy Metal, but it's not at all like it. For me, the main difference is that Heavy Metal was a masterpiece, but this movie was a miserable piece of crap. For starters, the story is completely stupid, as though the producers decided to only focus on the music aspect of what made Heavy Metal great, while completely slacking in other important areas. It's a little weird that all the characters look like mice, but that's not the worst part about them. The worst part is that they don't really have good voice actors, and often, their lines are very hackneyed. The animation isn't bad, and it's actually the best part of the movie, but it's definitely inferior to Heavy Metal, along with other animated movies, which had bigger budgets. The film just got worse and worse as it progresses, culminating in one of the worst endings I've ever seen, where a demon gets sent back to hell with the power of song, let alone a mediocre song with Debbie Harry on lead vocals. If you're looking for cult movies, stay away from Rock & Rule. It's an undercooked rip-off of Heavy Metal that was apparently so bad, even the distributors hated it.
April 17, 2014
my favourite cartoon for adults is the greatly under-rated Rock & Rule. Another post-apocalyptic film, this one sees humans extinct, but the animals have mutated into human-like beings. So think Goofy and Mickey Mouse, just... sexy :-p . It's a musical extravaganza that has an aging rock star kidnap a beautiful young singer when he finds out that her voice is the key to opening a portal and releasing malevolent demons. The music is great, too, performed by some of rock's greatest bands: Blondie's Deborah Harry, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Earth Wind and Fire, and Cheap Trick. If you haven't seen it yet, I reccomend it very much! 10/10
April 15, 2014
A great Cult Classic!
ToDandy
February 27, 2014
Balls to the walls crazy, this cult favorite from the 80's makes little coherent sense, but that sort of just adds to the mad fun of it all.
November 21, 2013
well-intentioned, decidedly adult (a good thing) with a superb musical cast. The animation was well done, but the story and script should have been better
October 6, 2013
Original Canadian version.
March 4, 2013
I waited 30 years to watch this movie. It has a lot of charm and unique character design. I just wish the music was better. More like Heavy Metal.
December 1, 2012
Having seen it for the first time, have a fairly mixed opinion.

The script could have used a LOT more work, there are info dumps galore and the characters flat out tell things that the film should show, sometimes they even do bth at the same time. Characters are thrown at the audience without giving them a chance to understand them, or even learn their names. It takes a long while to gain an understanding of them, by which time the plot has rolled on and left the audience behind. The scenes jump and jitter all over the place, jump cutting here and stringing together there. I personally struggled to figure out what was going on half the time because there was no room to breath between jump cuts. Jokes and references are littered throughout the feature, but few hit the mark, mostly due to the cheesy and over the top delivery that characterizes the "comedic" content. the premise could have been pulled off, well in fact, if the time had been taken to hammer out this script.

The music and singing talents are top notch, but they don't stick around for the dialogue, whose voice actors rarely resemble the singers, making most of the songs feel jarring and out of place. The lip syncing is usually good, but you can tell where new lines have been added over to replace the old long after the animation was done, sometimes in spots where there were none previously, which spoils the dialogue in sections. The main characters have decent vocal deliveries, but almost every other speaking character speaks in a stilted, emotionless manner which is out of touch with the context.

The animation was very good for the time, and it holds up. The characters are expressive and they move naturally and fluidly. The colouring looks nice and smooth, too. The camera work lets it all down though, with static shots, and no creative framing or angles to speak of, making it feel more like a play than a film. The backdrops swing between detailed paintings and almost non existent gradients, and cast shadows are rare.

Character designs are interesting. The cast consists of humanoid creatures descended from cats, rats and dogs, though I had to learn that fact from wikipedia because the narration that stated as such was removed from the edition I watched. The comedic characters usually have exaggerated, pointed features while the serious are more realistic, usually sporting pointed ears and muzzles. The designs are consistent and believable, but can make you feel a bit uncomfortable when things take on a more sexual tone, which happens both frequently and overtly.

The villain, Mok carries genuine threat in his presence and voice acting without dipping into silly levels of insanity. Unfortunately, his character is undermined by his tendency to info dump in every scene and bad lip synching.

This film is definitely not for children, Mok is seen snorting coke and smoking pot on screen, there are overt sexual references and the main characters are often referred to as "stoned" though their high is generally of magical origin. That being said, I don't think this is a film for adults either. The tone is too silly, and too disjointed to be taken seriously by adults, and the pace is to spastic to hold their attention when so many better rock and roll flicks are out there, leaving the film in an odd void, with no group that it can wholly appeal to.

I'm not sure where to put my final opinion on this film, I didn't particularly like it, but It was oddly engrossing and it definitely stood out, even if it was for all the wrong reasons. It's hardly a forgotten masterpiece, or a master anything, but its one of a kind and fans of animation and animation history should give it a watch if you have 80 minutes to burn, but try to track down the original version, as the American version redubs a swathe of the dialogue and removes many scenes, worsening the films bad qualities.
May 24, 2012
Not a film you'd feel comfortable watching with your friends (or anyone else, for that matter), but...IT'S MY FAVORITE ANIMATED FLIM EVER! OUTSTANDING animation, ROCKING songs, and FUN characters, this was a film lost in time. WATCH IT!