Rocket Gibraltar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocket Gibraltar Reviews

jjnxn
September 9, 2009
A little slow but touching story of the bond between a grandfather and his family. The cast is first rate but its Burt Lancaster who walks off with the film. In his last lead performance he offers a beautifully detailed and gentle performance of a man facing the end with only one wish.
bbcfloridabound
February 4, 2009
I picked this up to watch because Suzy Amis was in it, and she played the part of a little sex starved couldn't get enough girl, she was even looking at her 13 year old nephew smiling, humm Suzy. Little did I know that it had Bert Lancaster, Kevin Spacey and McCauley Caulkin (barely out of diapers). Bert played the ageing Grandfather who at 77 was dying. The dysfunctional family gather in Westhampton Beach ( My Home Town), to celebrate the Grandfathers 77 birthday, but as with all families they have little time for Grandfather and are all tied up with there own life?s, but all the grandchildren get together to hear a story from grandfather about how a Viking when he dies his body is set to sea, so the grandchildren find a boat and rebuild it to look similar to a Viking boat complete with sale and they want to give it to granddad for his birthday but he goes tits up before they present it to them, so they steal a van and but old gramps in the boat and set him to sea complete with fire, of course all this is done before the family arrives to save the day. I ensure you my write up is better then the movie, Not sure this movie did anything except maybe on Long Island, The east Coast and beach Families. And had to give it 2 stars cause it was filmed where I grew up. Thanks Columbia Pictures. Only reason its going in my collection is because Suzy Amis was in it and I am collecting all her films. Oh By the way Rocket Gibraltar was the name of the Boat the Grandkids rebuilt.
April 17, 2013
Caught this one on TV years ago and I forgot exactly what it was that made me and Jim Genrich reference and laugh about this but whatever it was it was funny. Didnt they try and make a boat or something. Regardless this is forgettable and sucks
½ November 14, 2010
For a movie with Kevin Spacey and Macaulay Culkin, this sure is boring. Just look at the cover. Watching the final scene on it's own is quite disturbing.
August 7, 2007
Never get tired of watching this movie. Great acting by Kevin Spacey, Bill Pullman, Burt Lancaster and of course, a very young and innocent Macaulay Culkin
½ April 25, 2007
I Absolutely love this movie!!! I think it is a must see.....Really displays the bond between a child and their "heros"!!!
½
If it weren't for MacCauly Caulkin this would get a higher rating. Viking funeral scene is a classic.
April 17, 2013
½ November 22, 2012
A pleasant movie about a old mans birthday party and his last wish. (And his grandchildren for-full it for him)
October 30, 2012
Tuesday, October 30, 2012

(1988) Rocket Gibraltar
DRAMA

All star cast which includes Oscar winner Kevin Spacey, Suzy Amis, Bill Pullman, Patricia Clarkson, John Glover and a moving 'movie' debut by Macaulay Culkin as Blu one of many grandchildren all star about a family visit to their father/ grandfather played magnificently by film veteran Burt Lancaster as Levi for his 77th birthday. Upon hanging around their they all revisit old times where theirs hardly any plot to speak about, using the characters themselves to carry the movie. Pullman plays a baseball pitcher, Spacey as a struggling comic comedien and the movie's title "Rocket Gibraltar" is a name of a boat. Film not for the simple minded.

3 out of 4
½ May 14, 2012
"On Golden Pond" meets "Weekend at Bernie's" by way of "The Big Chill" in what may be the worst great cast/horrible movie paradox of all time. Contrived, soulless, distasteful, sickening, gob-smackingly predictable, poorly developed, sloppily constructed, and perfectly complimented by an epitomously saccharine 1980s feel-good score.
April 1, 2012
Wanna get this on dvd and add it to my KS collection...!
September 3, 2011
A Wonderful and Touching Film
½ November 14, 2010
½ January 5, 2010
caught this one on TV years ago and I forgot exactly what it was that made me and Jim Genrich reference and laugh about this but whatever it was it was funny. didnt they try and make a boat or something?
jjnxn
September 9, 2009
½ April 13, 2009
The family patriarch, Levi gathers his relatives for a b'day party....as he also struggles with failing health. They share the typical issues found in a spread-out family, including, of course, their love for the birthday boy. Levi reflects on mortality by sharing his admiration for the Viking burial ritual in which the deceased is laid in a longboat, set out to sea and then set ablaze with a flaming arrow. A triumph for the late great Burt Lancaster and also for they young actors who portray his children and grandchildren.
April 12, 2009
Beautiful movie!!!! I admire this movie a lot!! And I love Burt Lancaster!
bbcfloridabound
February 4, 2009
½ December 21, 2008
This is a GREAT movie. You will love Caulkin in one of his first roles. This movie is about a group of grandkids who want to grant their dieing grandfathers last wish to have a true viking funeral. This movie brings me great joy.