Rookie of the Year Reviews

February 23, 2012
Rookie of the Year is a fun family sports film that has good laughs and a colorful cast. Although not one of the most memorable childhood favorites, this is still a fun film worth seeing. Thomas Ian Nicholas gives a fun performance that is funny. Daniel Stern is fun as well, but I found him to be a bit over the top, even if that was the point, it was a bit annoying as well. Stern also directs, and he crafts a fun film that is quite funny, but at times fails to generate the laughs. This film could have been better of course, but overall it's a charming affair that should be seen by baseball film fans. The Sandlot was a better film, but this one does manage to be entertaining, but could have been thought out a bit better. All in all, it is a worthwhile film to watch if you have nothing else to do. The laughs are there, but the film loses steam near the end, and the ending should have been better. Even with all its imperfections, this is an entertaining film that will certainly appeal to the entire family. The performances are good, and there are a few memorable on-screen gags, but like I said, the film is no Sandlot, but it nonetheless delivers a fun filmgoing experience. Daniel Stern was able to pull off something effective here, but it just doesn't go beyond what it could have been. Rookie of the Year should have been a memorable and hilarious ride, but it ends up being funny at times, with parts that are clearly struggling due to an underdeveloped script.
August 17, 2011
Grew up with this movie, so i'm always going to love it.
May 23, 2010
Lead child actor is terrible but still a 90's classic.
September 24, 2007
½ August 29, 2007
My favorite movie as a child. Tell me it wouldn't be cool to get in an accident and have an amazing ability because of it. I'd dominate in the MLB. Some lame scenes, but cool movie.
½ February 16, 2007
A fun film.
January 25, 2007
a movie about a guy with a big butt
January 14, 2007
GO CUBS!!!!!
June 27, 2011
Very enjoyable and original, but the Cubs will never win a World Series ever again. I'm sorry.
½ September 23, 2009
Lame? Yes. Crazy? Yes. Sheer Pure Poppy Cook? Hell yes! Fantasy ? Of Course!
So you get watch you get when watching it, cuase you surely read the synopsis or the back of the DVD/VHS! Haven't you?
July 2, 2007
I loved this movie when I was a kid and I remember thinking how cool it would be to be an instant celebrity at 12.
March 16, 2006
Daniel Stern is hilarious, and Thomas Ian Nicholas is impressive in his debut.
February 14, 2010
An ultimate childhood fantasy. I loved it then and I love it now. It's an entertaining family comedy. (First viewing - Childhood)
May 28, 2008
One of those "so bad it's good" movies and of course since I'm a Cubs fan, I'm totally biased. The Wrigley Field scenes are all awesome. There's more than a few funny moments. The acting is overall horrendous, except for Amy Morton. But overall I've seen this several times & still enjoy it. "Sorry, your door seems to be malfunctioning! I'll get housekeeping!"
August 16, 2012
This was a fun film to watch growing up. Now that I'm an adult I don't think I'll ever watch this movie again. :)
December 1, 2011
Completely inoffensive family fare. It's like the marshmallow creme of movies - a little bit every now and then reminds you that you liked it as a kid, but it's really easy to get sick of it and it has no nutritional value. I don't know if this is supposed to be a comedy - the only funny thing in it is Daniel Stern. Props to John Candy and Dan Hedaya for making a good go of it. Thomas Ian Nicholas was not as bratty as I remembered him, though he still makes me want to punch his face. There were times in this film where I recognized a decent joke or funny moment in the writing, but all the performers are too obvious and over-the-top to sell it. Another in the pantheon of nostalgic movies that has nothing to offer for adults.
½ September 27, 2011
As a baseball fanatic and life long fan, this movie instills a rage within me that I can't quite describe. Every time Thomas Nicholas makes his stupid, empty headed, wide eyed, half open mouth face (which consists of every shot of him in the movie) I want to kick him in his prepubescent and undecended testicles. This movie makes an absolute mockery of the American pastime, and anyone who had even a slight hand in its production should be sterilized at minimum.
December 13, 2011
A ridiculous premise and an overlying sense of predictability bring down Rookie of the Year until the final out.
May 9, 2011
90s baseball comedy. if you've seen one, you've more or less seen them all. regardless, this is an entertaining movie that's still a lot of fun. Stern's character is hysterical, and Thomas Ian Nicholas makes for a very likable young protagonist. the 12-year-old with the rocket arm I can believe--but the Cubbies winning the World Series....that's just asking way too much!
May 19, 2010
This movie was put out at a time when I heard many parents talking about how video games rotted children's minds. I find that ironic.