Room Service - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Room Service Reviews

September 28, 2010
I love the Marx Brothers, but this movie wasn't as good as their other movies. It felt slow and very scripted, no ad libs. Also, it felt as though the screenwriter gave the other actors more jokes than the Marx Brothers. Groucho seemed really quiet in this movie, he didn't get to say much, and I didn't like that. I was disappointed with this movie. Towards the end it gets funnier, though, so it wasn't all bad.
June 5, 2007
A few nice moments, but mostly meh
December 17, 2007
Adapted from a stage play, which is obvious when you notice that nearly the entire movie is filmed within two adjoining hotel rooms. Made for RKO, so except for Ryskind who had written for some other Marx Brothers movies, they had a whole different production team and supporting cast. Still very funny situations and opportunities for madcap Marx antics, but no musical numbers except a few bars of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. Ball is an actress in the play Groucho is trying to produce and his assistant, but she fades into the background amidst the brothers' schemes. Miller has next to no screen time and no chance of making an impression. Albertson is the author of the play, a whiny, small town bumpkin who is taken in by all the craziness. Dunstan plays Groucho's half brother and hotel manager, so he represents the authority of the hotel, but also goes along with Groucho's and Chico's plans without too much trouble. MacBride, as Wagner the efficiency expert, is really the stiff that the Marx Brothers are trying to tear down with their anti-authority hijinks. The man from the collection agency, the man representing the financial backer for the play, the Russian want-to-be actor, and the doctor each pop up in one or two scenes to move the plot and supply the set up for a couple gags. Several high quality visual and verbal gags are included. I must say that my favorite was when the doctor tries to get Harpo to say "Ahhh" too.
December 14, 2009
Highly enjoyable from the Marx brothers. Unlike many of their other films, "Room Service" has a relatively coherent and followable story (instead of just "random" gags and musical numbers) and I liked that. Harpo has a pretty big role in this, and overshadows Groucho. Perhaps Groucho's less prominent role can explain why it's not one of their best, seeing that we miss many witty commentaries from Groucho. A must watch for the fans nevertheless.
June 30, 2008
Lots of fun.
March 15, 2014
"Room Service" is the only film the Marx Brothers made that was not written specifically for them or their characters. It is based on a play, and it is decent...but it is less frantic and fast paced as their other films. As usual, the brothers are funny, but the film lacks the nuttiness that make their their pictures so good.
May 8, 2010
Bugs Bunny was baed on Groucho and he was always the best part of the Marx Brothers. Mainly because he was the only one who said anything interesting.
½ September 26, 2009
Although it certainly isn't as zany as most of the other Marx Brothers movies, it is still great fun. Ann Miller and Lucille Ball in the cast is a plus. I also enjoyed the fact there was not an out of place musical number.
April 20, 2009
Even with the addition of Lucile Ball (who never really gets to show off her comedy acting chops in the film at all) this proved to be one of the least funniest Marx Brothers movies I've seen.
It's got some good lines scattered throughout the movie courtesy of Chico and Groucho's back and forth one liners, but it doesn't make it high up in the catergory of my favorite Marx Brothers movies. But for the avid fan of the brothers or just old comedies in general, you'll find something to enjoy and it'll be worth the watch for you.

"I still think it's a terrible play, but it makes a wonderful rehearsal."
½ November 26, 2007
For once Harpo outshines his brothers in this unrecognized classic. Whether it's chasing a live turkey in their hotel room or eating peas, one at a time, but doing it very fast; he's really the star of the film.

My favorite scene though is his check-up by a doctor that the hotel management has brought in to see if he really has an infectious disease that the brothers have said he has (to stay in the room even though they're out of money). They've painted his face with huge spots and given him a tiny doll that will squeak when pressed. Of course, Harpo NEVER talks; but when the doctor says "Say 'ah'." Harpo makes the doll squeak. The doctor is puzzled and all chaos ensues.

Lucille Ball co-stars in a 'straight' roll, but I always think of the "I Love Lucy" episode with Harpo and her dressed up as Harpo. The famous dancer / actress Ann Miller also co-stars in "Room Service" - a great little movie!
July 29, 2007
Definitely a lesser Marx flick, but it's not really a Marx flick. It was a play that they were wedged into.
Not bad, but not too good, either. But it does have Lucille Ball in an early role.
May 29, 2007
Unusual for the bros, but I still like it - it has a much more developed and paced plot than most of their others.
½ May 2, 2015
not as lively as other Marx movies
February 26, 2015
Despite what some users say about this Marx classic, this is my fave! Highly recommended.
October 29, 2014
Although a comparatively minor work of theirs, I really enjoyed the Marx Brothers in this one, in which they're trying to stay with room and board, along with all of their cast and crew, while waiting for funds for their stage play to come in. Nice early showcase for Lucille Ball and Ann Miller too, in minor supporting roles. If you get the chance, don't miss out on this one.
April 22, 2014
OK, but not great, Marx Brothers movie.

Started off well enough. Set up was good, some good one-liners from Groucho and was quite coherent. Middle section had some great sight gags (anything involving the turkey, and Harpo being diagnosed by the doctor, especially).

However, from a point it lost coherence and just got silly. Not ridiculously, unwatchably silly, but just mundane and not too funny.

Overall, the jokes were weaker than their best, and even Groucho's famous wisecracks seemed weaker and fewer-and-further-between.

Performances, given the material, are OK though. Lucille Ball is great in a supporting role, and not just for her acting... Good support too from Ann Miller and Frank Albertson.

Certainly not in the same league as A Night At The Opera or Duck Soup, but reasonably entertaining nevertheless.
May 3, 2013
December 25, 2012
Groucho Marx plays a shifty stage producer whose racked up a substantial debt at the hotel he's using to lodge the cast for his latest show. The ornery hotel inspector (Donald MacBride) is on the verge of closing the production before it even opens, but a dosage of Marxian mayhem could win the day once again. The Marx Brothers starred in some of the funniest movies ever made, but the law of diminishing returns had set in by the time this one came to screen. Most of the scenes in this story turgidly drag on while lacking any memorable bits. Room Service, which wasn't written with the Marx Brothers in mind, doesn't have enough of Groucho's witticisms, Harpo's pantomime antics, or Chico's conniving.
December 10, 2012
It holds up as one of the funniest films ever made. Most say it's not the Marx Brother's best, but I have a soft spot for it.
April 9, 2012
Well-made in typical RKO fashion.Not the best from the Marx Bros. Lucille Ball had only a very minor role and not comedic.