Rosenstrasse Reviews

½ September 5, 2010
I do have a thing for movies about Nazi Germany, I admit it. This one is really, really good. It also, I believe, was based on a true story...like most of them.
October 11, 2009
Very hard to get into because you switch in time so many times, but it is well worth it. Beautifully acted and well put together. Loved it.
½ March 19, 2007
Part of my post-war German film course. This is a very good WW-II era film, which focuses on an event I wasn't aware of and I don't think has been covered before, so right out of the gate, the concept is at least totally unique. Its a very definably German film about the protest of German women whose Jewish husbands have been imprisoned around 1943 (I think this was the year, might have been '42). It has a decidedly feminist agenda, but I don't see how this can be avoided considering the nature of the story. In the end, its a pretty powerful, emotional tale that contains a great performance by Katja Riemann and the work of clearly talented director. It comes off as somewhat by the numbers, but I think it would be very, very hard not to like this film. It just has a universal resonance, and it is quite well done, and respectful to the subject matter.
½ June 27, 2008
Foreign, German. An excellent film! Quality film, great sets, great costumes, good story and based on an actual event. I highly recommend it!
December 30, 2006
this movie jumps b/w an interesting historical narrative and a hackneyed, anemic modern-day soapy one. so if you can get past that....
½ October 9, 2014
A touching story of a group of women who chose to stand by their Jewish husbands, so that most were released. Maybe, in the face of the Holocaust, this seems like a drop in the proverbial bucket, but as the film says, maybe it was just a few lives, "a small ray of light in the darkness," but when you are in deepest night, that one ray is all you have, and you hold on to the memory of it with all your might.
½ April 24, 2012
Margarethe von Trotta's cinematic account of the Rosenstrasse protests of 1943 perhaps has too many threads to be tied up simply, but history and recollection can be a bit complicated. Katya Riemann stars as Lena von Eschenbach, the daughter of an aristocratic German (Aryan) family, who falls in love with and marries a talented Jewish musician, Fabian Fischer (Martin Feifel), who because of his "mixed marriage" to an Aryan woman has not been rounded up for deportation with the other Jews of the city, and instead is given a job in a munitions factory.
But in the winter of 1943, he was detained with a few hundred other men and women in a Jewish center on Rose Street (Rosenstrasse) in Berlin. His wife, Lena, finds out where he is being held, and there she joins an increasing number of other wives and relatives whose loved ones are being held. They form a vigil group and stand watch in the cold, hoping to put moral pressure on the authorities for the release of their loved ones. It is at the Rosenstrasse protests that Lena meets and adopts a little Jewish girl, Ruth, whose mother is also being held. She takes Ruth into her home, and treats her as her own daughter.
The story is framed by a modern day story of Ruth, now living in New York City, mourning her recently deceased American husband, while her own daughter Hannah (Maria Schrader) goes to Berlin to find Lena Fischer, now nearly ninety, and to learn from her the story of her mother's tragic past.
The film moves very slowly and has a few too many subplots to be entirely successful, but there are moments of well-earned emotion, and the film is always tasteful and thoughtful. This is not a Holocaust movie, and it's scope is too microscopic to be particularly weighty compared to films like "Schindler's List,"
but still history is actually the sum of millions of smaller stories like this, and one thing "Rosenstrasse" does well is to make us mindful of the moral complexities that faced the German population during the Third Reich, ordinary people who were caught up in the larger sweep of world events. Some acted nobly, some less so, and "Rosenstrasse" does the service of putting faces, and personal details, to a few of those stories.
½ February 12, 2012
Longish and rather intricate, It tried to be a serious Holocaust film but was in reality considerably lighter than other productions. That having been said, the cast did a fine job.
September 20, 2011
Without knowing to many details about the era, I thought Margarethe did a fine job directing Rosenstrasse. Many directors pull from their own life exp. Therefor, they have a a resource to build on and create from.

I'd like to thank Margarethe for her efforts.
December 19, 2010
Thoughtful character development, compelling narrative, sensitive performances, a well told story of a little known aspect of the Holocaust.
½ September 15, 2005
Not as emotionally gripping as it thinks it is. There so many better stories to tell about World War II than this one about Jewish Husbands married to Aryan woman who the husbands are locked up in a building. Not to excited at almost 2 and half hours.