20% The Identical Sep 05

Run Lola Run (Lola rennt) Reviews

366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

January 10, 2008
Lola has twenty minutes to find a way to get 100,000 Deutschmarks to her boyfriend across town before he gets whacked. Problem is, she's broke, but fortunately, she gets a couple do-overs. Experimental but accessible, Lola schemes (and runs) nonstop through this frenetic thriller/drama; breathers are for subplots and flashbacks. She's going to need a new sports bra when this is all over.
garyX
garyX

December 25, 2006
A young woman receives a phone call from her boyfriend telling her that if he doesn't get 100,000 Deutchmarks within 20 minutes he's a dead man. It tells of the consequences of the phone call in 20 minutes of real time three times over, each containing a slightly differing timeline, thus showing how minor incidents or coincidence can have a massive knock on effect to not only your life, but those around you. Run Lola Run is very much a product of its time; the techno soundtrack, grunge fashion and fascination with the mathematics of probability (ie "the butterfly effect") all reek of the 1990s, but Run Lola Run still feels strangely fresh, probably because of its brisk, no-nonsense pace and 75 minute running time meaning it never gets too caught up in pretentious navel gazing. I could have lived without some of the directorial affectations that made it feel a little too much like a music video in places, and the coincidences are of course extremely unlikely, but the urban crime element gives it a Luc Besson-esque flavour that makes for an entertaining and original experience.
Eliza N

January 3, 2011
It's the choices you make that lead you to the situation of the present , not life by itself.
This flickr deals with the pleasure of trying any possibility until achieving the best one .Unfortunately everybody's life doesn't come with such instructions to it's manual...
Dan S

November 2, 2007
An adrenaline rush of a film concerning a young woman (Franka Potente) who must gather 100,000 marks in twenty minutes to help bail her boyfriend (Mortiz Bleibtreu) out of a difficult situation that could result in his death. Few films have as much energy and sheer excitement as this one, which explores three different scenarios on how the situation evolves, and how the slightest change in time can produce drastically different results. Potente is the perfect fit for the red-hair Lola, and the film goes by so fast, and is so tightly paced, it is truly awesome to see how well director Tom Tykwer constructs and develops his story (or stories). Highly recommended for those that like fast-paced films.
Lucas M

March 20, 2012
Tom Tykwer's energic Run Lola Run, have terrific realistic actings and become a unforgettable film, an exciting plot that work very well with the surrealistic soundtrack. Run Lola Run is a scary and great dramatic "Groundhog Day ". Fresh.
Albert K

September 25, 2010
Really interesting pacing. A lot of fun and interesting cinematography. Loved it.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A really cool movie, especially the cinematography, it uses a lot of awesome camera movement. The story is repeated three times, which some may find annoying, but it really works in this movie. One of my favourite scenes is the opening credit cartoon, it's so fun. The whole thing is really awesome to watch, even if you don't like foreign movies, you should see this one. I highly recommend it.
Jan Marc M

September 10, 2011
Run Lola Run is an energetic thriller that follows a woman's run for 100,000 Deutschmarks in 20 minutes to save his boyfriend. Kinetic, stylish, and passionate film-making that offers a bounty of perspective, nostalgic references to popular culture, and interesting human interest dimensions; Run Lola Run is bound for the fearless.
Nadira I

August 23, 2011
"Run Lola Run" is probably my favourite German film until this time. It is really unique piece of art in the sense that they repeat some scenes without make it boring. Franka Potente is one of the brilliant actresses from Germany, no doubt, even the soundtrack was fantastic, and this film will be the greatest that comes out from the director, Tom Tykwer. Life is a challenge, and it's up to you if you wanted to change bad things from happening. Love moves mountains. Once again, this film proves it all.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 17, 2007
You know what they say about Germans and efficiency. Well, this really gave the proverb a whole new meaning. With a speed and thrust that makes Formula 1 look like a golf cart challenge, this blood-pumping race against the clock, is a non-stop rollercoaster ride that leaves you gasping for air. Nevermind the short running time (no pun intended), because this story couldn't have been presented in any better way. Not only is it faster than Charlie Sheen on a bag of coke, but it's also very visually creative and boosted by some great techno beats. An original, exciting, high-octane adrenaline rush, comparable to going sky-diving with your veins full of caffeine. So if you're looking for something that's anything but slow, may I suggest that you give this a go.
Thomas J

February 20, 2008
I guess I watched this movie expecting more. It is a really good movie, but I think it fell short of the hype I had been exposed to. Still definitely worth a watch.
Shawn E

May 4, 2011
All style, no substance. The repeating scenes of Lola running and the meaningless story was very tiresome. The only thing decent was some of the cinematography and music.
Megan S

April 14, 2011
Simple premise, interesting film.
Sajin P

January 15, 2011
As the title says, Lola keeps running for 2/3rd part of the film, with some pumping techno music in the background. And that was pretty much what the film had to offer.
Movie starts with some philosophical questions, which audience will soon realise, will have nothing to do with the context of the film. In the end we are left wondering, what the heck was this movie really about?? This movie simply was all style and no substance.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
All right, ready to write this. Things I liked: the running, the screaming, the differences in people's lives by just a few seconds (even if some of them were a little hard to believe...). Things I didn't like as much: the predictability, I knew as soon as she came back the first time, he would die and then they would both die or live. BUT I also liked the video game aspect.
This start rating is the first time I've had so much trouble, anywhere from 2-3.5 stars....but I'm nice and usually round up... so....
Spencer S

August 4, 2010
A lot like a German Happenstance meets some techno infused Hackers. A bit muddled, but progressive.
Richard C

July 21, 2010
A
Jon L

June 16, 2010
This movie was a very artistic film with a simple message. I didn't know what to expect watching this film and I think that was for the best. Although I didn't understand what was going on at first, it's quite easy to follow and is really well done. I'm a big fan of movies that are made on a lower budget and come across as pieces or art. This one is a really good example of one of those films.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 3, 2009
Essentially the same movie three times in a row, with three different endings.

Creative, fast-paced and well edited. What a cool way to tell a story!