Sagebrush Trail Reviews

July 16, 2013
This is one of John Wayne's earliest movies. Only John Wayne shows any acting ability in this movie. He plays an escaped convict who arrives as a hobo on a train that looks like a 1930's era steam engine and box cars. The box cars don't look that much different from the ones still used to this day. However as soon as he flees the sheriff and the railroad detectives he's in a world of horses and stage coaches. All the other actors are real rodeo cowboys. They make good stuntmen but bad actors. Young John Wayne gets to show off his athletic ability with some fancy mounting of horses. The story telling is choppy and hard to follow. A good writer and director could have made this into an interesting movie.
½ June 14, 2014
Sagebrush Trail is a decent film. It is about John Brant who escapes from prison and ends up out west where, after giving the local lawmen the slip, he joins up with an outlaw gang. John Wayne and Lane Chandler give good performances. The screenplay is entertaining but a little slow in places. Armand Schaefer did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the action and adventure.
July 18, 2013
Maybe because this is one of the first early westerns I've ever seen so the typical plot points are new to me, or maybe because this is the first John Wayne film I've ever seen, but regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed this B western flick. It wasn't anything spectacular, but i enjoyed it. Bottom line, I'd recommend this short film to any western fans.
August 17, 2012
Excellent "B" western. Overall rating is a 40, but give it a 60 for its age.
½ July 5, 2004