20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Samurai Rebellion Reviews

Bob S

June 22, 2007
Kickass samurai drama - maybe just a notch below Harakiri.
axadntpron
axadntpron

January 28, 2013
Oh man, don't you dare cross Toshiro Mifune. The veteran actor has amassed quite a body count during his cinematic reign in which he ruled for an astounding 170 feature-length films, and here he adds a few more notches to his blood-soaked belt.

While it can be quite depressing to think of all the poor Japanese folks that Mifune has dispatched over his career, director Masaka Kobayashi goes to painstaking lengths to make sure the viewer knows that at least in this film, he is doing it for good reason. Not only is he giving the finger to the almighty creator by doing away with his creation with his unparalleled swordsmanship, but he is also rebelling against the daimyo of the Aisu clan of which he is a vassal, a crime of which there can be no forgiveness.

Although not as impressive visually or thematically intriguing as his 1962 masterpiece Harakiri, Kobayashi once again proves that he is a capable storyteller. All the while examining social order and the price that it imposes on the body of people that it claims to protect.

Despite the fact that the material was in the hands of Shinobu Hashimoto, the writer responsible for Harakiri, it is unfortunately lacking the urgency and vitality that made the prior film so special. Yet, not all is lost as Kobayashi delicately sheds light not on the overt violence that this society cultivated, but rather the quiet disruption of the family for the sake of the lord.

Though Kobayashi's revisionist tale isn't as gripping as his previous work, it is still a very exciting piece of cinema and further proof that Kurosawa & Ozu aren't the only Japanese directors worthy of our respect.
Keiko A. --Samurai--
Keiko A. --Samurai--

July 16, 2011
Toshiro Mifune is at it again with this Sensational, deeply moving samurai flick thats worth WATCHING!!! AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

The 18th century was a great time in these era of films still the 16th century always has me. I liked the acting and story and costumes and ECT.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 22, 2007
the end was a little upsetting, but the rebel in me was excited for this one. overall a great flick, and even the disappointing end has a redeeming moment.
rubystevens
rubystevens

November 22, 2007
excellent drama about a conflict between a shogun and his vassals. mifune is great as the convention bound samurai who takes a stand.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

April 20, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]In "Samurai Rebellion", it is 1725, a time of peace. The Daimyo has requested that Yogoro Sasahara(Go Kato), son of cavalry escort Isaburo Sasahara(Toshiro Mifune), marry Lady Ichi(Yoko Tsukasa), former consort to the Daimyo and mother of his child, who was dismissed for striking him. At first there is fierce resistance from everybody in the family, and Isaburo stands firm, but Yogoro relents. Amazingly, Yogoro and Ichi fall in love, having a daughter, Tomi. [/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Samurai Rebellion" is a methodically paced drama about there being a right to not follow the orders of superiors that are cruel and capricious. And that there are some things truly worth fighting for. However, the movie is uneven at times, especially in how information is dispensed, telling more than it shows in key instances like the relationship between Yogoro and Ichi. Also, it repeats the analysis of Isaburo's fighting style which is key to the plot. [/font]
Chris B

June 17, 2011
While I have seen only one other of Masaki Kobayashi's films (At the time of this review), Hara-kiri, I have no doubt whatsoever in his mastery as a director. Both films are masterpieces telling of injustices during Japan's feudal era and the enormity of the class differences. Samurai Rebellion which stars the legendary Toshiro Mifune, displays both a touching and emotionally investing film that has perfect balance. For the first hour and a half we are introduced to our characters and the plight that will soon spell disaster. The last half hour is a brilliantly filmed samurai showdown where Mifune truly shines as a man of justice and morality. The cinematography of the various Japanese landscapes and wonderfully detailed traditional Japanese housing really add depth and a sense of being that is hard to replicate. What an amazing and beautiful film to see and be moved by. If you love Japanese films, culture or samurai this is an absolute necessity to watch!
cody f

July 8, 2008
You would think a film called Samurai Rebellion would be wall to wall action, but to my surprise it has a great love story and a touching story of a relationship between father and son. There is some action at the end and if they would trim about 10-15 minutes then it's a 4 star film. Mifune is great and the film is a definatly worth a look.
rickrudge
August 14, 2012
Samurai Rebellion (1967)

This is a great samurai film. One of the early ones created from Mifune Productions studio. This film is more of a family drama than an action movie.

Isaburo Sasahara (Mifune) is a samurai for a local provincial Daimyo. Isaburo is an excellent swordsman. There's only one other person of his skill, Tatewaki Asano (Tatsuya Nakadai) His talents are what made him a good catch for an arranged marriage, but in peaceful 1725 Japan, his talents are no longer needed.

He admits that he's a hen-pecked husband. And when the local Daimyo requests that his son, Yogoro (Go Kato) marry his discarded consort, Lady Ichi (Yoko Tsukasa), he's reluctant to allow this arrangement. Isaburo's Wife, Suga (Michiko Otsuka) has heard that Lady Ichi had assaulted the Daimyo and one of his new consorts, and is not behind this arrangement either.

However, a samurai can't exactly refuse his Daimyo and all of his superiors and the family eventually give in to the request. They surprisingly discover that the Lady Ichi is lovely and kind and that it was the Daimyo who is fickle. Ichi and Yogoro grow to love each other and Ichi gives him a daughter.

Then the Daimyo's Son dies and Lady Ichi's Son by the Daimyo would be the next in succession. The Daimyo wants Lady Ichi back; but Ichi loves her life with Yogoro. Isaburo and Yogoro put their foot down and rebel.
June 18, 2007
japan's casablanca to me. of all the films on this list, those are the two that i feel if you tell the story to someone who has not seen the film, they will feel it jsut as much. this is just such a great story that there is no way they could have messed it up. luckily, it was kobayashi, mifune and nakadai, so obviously they were going to pull it off right. this is a heart wrenching tale, again toeing the line of melodrama, but the story is just too good for it to be too sentimental. they dont need to use any tricks to bring out our emotions, the story and teh actors are that good.
June 9, 2007
If you are looking for a good time, watch the 60's Samurai Swordplay Collection. Each one is different, but amazing.
June 1, 2007
this long, suspenseful film is great fun to watch with an incredible climax. the ending is classic textbook cinematography.
February 6, 2007
50's values imposed on ancient Japan. Toshiro Mifune turns in just one of the amazing performances in this film. The last line, spoken by Mifune, is one of the best lines in cinema history.
girlanachronism13
December 12, 2006
Haunting, brutal... this film could serve as the definition of why I love these old samurai movies so much.
Chris B

June 17, 2011
December 17, 2013
Fight for honor against dishonored master, Another masterpiece from Kobayashi.
Michael H.
October 23, 2013
The rebellion is on a personal level rather than being a revolution as one might expect. Fascinating look at how one rebels within a tightly structured society. It occurred to me while watching the film that, while each include both elements to a degree, Japanese films focus more on honor while American films focus more on justice in their displays of heroism and their satisfaction in the outcome. While an American hero might sacrifice honor in favor of justice, the Japanese hero seems more likely to satisfy honor without gaining justice.
July 28, 2013
I am usually very patient with such quality films as I know I should be, however this movie seems to drag on with the verbal back and forth for way to long, and certainly a bit beyond the point when words should have already been exchanged for swords, in my opinion. That being said this movie was a true pleasure to watch as the acting was superb, the story powerfully delivered, and the samurai way impeccably styled.
July 6, 2013
I found it completely uninteresting for the first hour and a half. Then it very much so redeems itself in my mind with the last bit.
Adrian B.
January 2, 2013
Slow, but ultimately satisfying samurai film of which a small village that seems content starts to disintegrate. A samurai (Toshiro Mifune) becomes enraged by his superiors and the woman associated with strange powers and starts to pursue violent action. He ultimately leads the small village into disarray and many of the villagers suffer tragic fates as a consequence. A little too much talk and little too long, but the ending is quite strong enough to save the film. Mifune is without question the highlight of this movie.