San Antonio Reviews

August 20, 2014
San Antonio (1945)

This is a great technicolor western, starring none other than Tasmanian actor Errol Flynn and beautiful Alexis Smith. It has everything you would want in a western, from a huge bar fight scene, to a gunfight inside the shadowy ruins of the Alamo. Thrown in is some good humor by S. Z. 'Cuddles' Sakall and several singing numbers. The movie begins with lawman, Charlie Bell (John Litel) crossing the Mexican boarder to warn Clay Hardin (Flynn) that he's a wanted man.

Clay has found some documented evidence linking Roy Stuart (Paul Kelly) involvement in the organized cattle rustling that has destroyed his and many of his fellow ranchers. He just needs to get back into town without getting shot, despite the odds against him. He sneaks a ride on the stage coach with a performer, Jeanne Starr (Smith) who will be singing at the saloon that ironically is owned by Roy and his equally smarmy partner, Legare (Victor Francen). Naturally, Clay and Jeanne are going to hit it off pretty well, eventually.

I know that it has become kind of standard cliche stuff, but it's fast-moving and all in good fun and well worth a watch.
½ April 1, 2009
I wouldn't say it's one of Flynn's strongest pictures but hey it's still Errol Flynn so it's still great!
May 24, 2014
Half of them are dead and the other half are foolish.

Jeanne Star is a local dancer at a tavern that is dating the local villain. Clay Hardin is a reluctant hero that agrees to take over the role of sheriff in San Antonio and clean up the town. When they see each other, they almost immediately have an attraction and ultimately fall in love. Can their doomed relationship blossom or will Clay's new job bring him down before he can secure Ms. Star?

"Who is she, another one of your flea bitten canines?"

David Butler, director of King Richard and the Crusades; C'mon, Let's Live a Little; I Love my Doctor; The Right Approach; Glory; The Girl he Left Behind; Look for the Silver Lining; and Road to Morocco, delivers San Antonio. The storyline for this picture is fairly cliché for the genre but the characters are interesting and I enjoyed the script. The cast delivers very solid performances and includes Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith, SZ Sakall, and John Litell.

"We don't see pretty girls like you around here often..."

I DVR's this off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because it starred the great Errol Flynn. His charisma was perfectly on display in this film and he owned the film perfectly. Overall, this is an above average western that is a nice addition to the genre and borderline worth adding to your western genre collection if you have one.

"Play hard and never step foot in San Antonio."

Grade: B