The Sandpiper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sandpiper Reviews

½ February 23, 2008
beautiful locations, silly but entertaining story
½ September 7, 2007
Lots of amazing scenery (Liz Taylor included.) The Sandpiper is also a precursor to the beginning of the ratings system as its a bit racy and liberal-minded for the mid-60s. Burton and Taylor are as always great together, Eva Marie Saint plays a WASP doormat and Charles Bronson plays a hipster beatnik. By no means essential and even though its a little drawn out, its not a bad watch.
April 18, 2015
so dull (and over the top)
½ July 10, 2013
Another of the Duo's Masterpeice....
February 16, 2013
I liked this movie ... And honestly, it's one of the few Charles Bronson flicks I'll ever watch ...
½ October 20, 2012
The Sandpiper is a ridiculously underrated film. I have no idea why people found this to be so terrible, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. There's an interesting love triangle, conversations about religion and life, and so many other topics crammed into it. I love it.
September 30, 2012
Another huge romance film between Taylor and Burton not since Anthony and Cleopatra. Except there were way more smooching scenes in the Sandpiper. A sandpiper did fly and land on the head of Liz Taylor.
August 31, 2012
I watched this last night for the first time since 1965. It's an awful movie, but I loved every minute of it. It's trite and almost deliciously bad. It was interesting to see what passed for "something of a problem" in 1965 with regard to child behaviour (and the kid was maybe 8, not a teenager as stated below). For all the passion that existed in reality between Taylor and Burton, none of it translated to the screen. But, the scenery is magnificent and who in the world would object to watching Elizabeth Taylor for two hours. Not I. Ever.
August 19, 2012
Other than it being a typically pretentious Burton-Taylor movie, the main problem is that Elizabeth Taylor is grossly miscast and completely unbelievable as a free spirit "hippie chick".