• R, 1 hr. 36 min.

Say It Isn't So Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 5, 2012
I really don't understand all the flack that this film has gotten. I found it pretty funny for what it was. Sure it's not as great as other comedic gems, but this film really does provide you with a few good chuckles. I really enjoyed the film, and I thought it was a perfect mindless comedy to watch with friends and enjoy. If you're in the right state of mind, you are sure to enjoy this film. Don't expect anything great with this film, as it is definitely a crazy film. The standout of the film is Orlando Jones as Dig McCaffey; I thought he stole the show and it worthwhile. I think that this film is really underrated and is actually pretty funny. This is one of those comedies that you have to shut off your brain to enjoy. Not perfect in any way, Say it Isn't So is tasteless humor at its finest. Sometimes all you need is a good little comedy like this to make you laugh. I very much liked the film, and thought it was pretty funny for what it was. Sure, there are things that really don't work here, but for the most part, it succeeds at making you chuckle and it's fairly entertaining as well. If you want a good, mindless underrated comedy, then give this one a shot, not perfect, but far from bad as well. Go into this one with an open mind, and you may like it. If mindless laughter is what you're looking for, then this is the film for you. This is a film that really doesn't deserve the flack it has received, and you should at least check it out before you make up your mind. It's better than what most people have said about it.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

April 21, 2010
First of all, I was disappointed that the Farrellys didn't take the director's seat on this one. I hate when previews mislead you like that. Nine times out of ten, when you hear the announcer in a trailer say, "from horror master Wes Craven" or something of that sort, it means the well-known director is a producer or executive producer in the project, like in this case. But it still has that Farrelly vibe, since J.B. Rogers worked as the A.D. in their previous works.

The movie gets off to a slow start. The gags start off pretty lame. And most of the funny parts shown were given away in the previews. We're handed a lot of quirks, but the comedy doesn't quite gel. We have Richard Jenkins as a wheelchair-bound father, who uses excessive profanity through a voice-box. So far, we're pushing the envelope, but the laughs haven't entirely arrived. I have to admit, though, the nipple-piercing scene was very funny. Luckily, that scene wasn't completely given away in the trailers, because quite frankly--it couldn't be shown on network television.

The film speeds up the comedy with the arrival of Orlando Jones as a pilot with artificial legs and a Jimmi Hendrix hairdo. For some reason, the Farrellys have an obsession with handicapped characters. Jones is very funny, and brings in the film's biggest laughs.

I also think we wander into one-joke territory one time too many. OK, the guy banged his sister. It was funny at first. How many times do we have to hear it repeated in the next gag...and the gag after that...and the gag after that? But the gags improve as we go along, and I got more and more laughs. By the last thirty minutes, I was laughing myself silly! So I wouldn't say this comedy is anywhere near as bad as most people said it was.

"Say It Isn't So" isn't the best comedy of the year, but it often delivers. And it's one of the few comedies that gets funnier as it goes along, rather than starting off with a bang and dragging on as it progresses.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 26, 2009
This movie was really lame. A waste of film is what I like to call these kinds of movies. I only watched it cause it was the only thing on t.v. on a Sunday. Waste of time. Would have been better off staring at a wall.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 4, 2008
Very funny jaja! Just comedy to laugh to in case you don't have nothing else to do. Say It Isn't So is touted as being from the Farelly brothers, who wrote and directed the movies Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, and There's Something About Mary. And though they didn't write or direct this movie, it certainly has the same elements: charming lead actors (in this case, Heather Graham from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and Chris Klein from Election and American Pie) put through all sorts of comic grotesqueries, ranging from having an ear cut off to getting a hand stuck up a cow's rectum. Orphaned dogcatcher Gilly (Klein) and incompetent hairdresser Jo (Graham) fall in love, only to discover that Gilly's long-lost mother is Jo's own white trash momma (played with gusto by Sally Field). Unfortunately, they'd already slept together, so Jo flees in shame to go back to her ex-boyfriend in Beaver, Oregon. But when Jo's real brother shows up, Gilly sets out to win Jo back--only her mom wants her to marry the ex and tells the Beaver police that Gilly is a sexual predator. Say It Isn't So doesn't have the crude wit of There's Something About Mary, but there are several laugh-out-loud moments, and both Graham and Klein are sweet and engaging. Orlando Jones has a zestful turn as a legless seaplane pilot.
puffchunk
puffchunk

November 30, 2007
This movie's kinda of funny. Heather Graham cuts off Chris Klein's ear, then they fall in love, find out they are siblings, and so on.
Stuart B

February 25, 2007
Crazy comedy with a lot of moments to make you squirm. An underated classic
Remi L

May 16, 2009
This movie was so silly, but I enjoyed it
iLeo
iLeo

December 16, 2007
Hilarious!
jam233
November 30, 2009
Rather ordinary and bland romantic comedy, completely predictable. The cast is fair, but Sally Field has a great time in her role as Heather Graham's mother and she is the high point of the film.
June 9, 2009
I'm sorry but it was just gross thinking about what the characters were thinking about when they thought that they were related, and then at the end, that might have been worse.
forkincheek
April 1, 2009
For having such a catchy title, this movie turned out to be a real disappointment. Maybe I'm biased because I saw an old preview for the movie on another movie and thought that it looked awesome, but all the same. Not worth the trouble of renting. Unless you want to stare at Chris Klein. He's the best part of this movie. His character is a cardboard cut out, but in some of these scenes he's oddly pretty.
Pipp2525
May 10, 2007
If you've been workin your ass off, how come is the size of a gdamed bean bag chair....sweet lord, you ponied your sister!
crazybeautiful141
March 23, 2007
Crude, lewd, stupid, lame.....and gross concept...fucking and marrying your own sister...sorry, guess I just missed the punchline to that one...
rove4me
February 14, 2007
I caught part of this on Comedy Central. It is one of the least pleasant and not at all funny films ever made.
FernandoTIm
January 8, 2007
Puta merda! quando o melhor filme de alguém é Americam Pie, não dá pra se esperar muita coisa... Lixo!
jessmjordan
November 20, 2006
well i mean it looks ok but it seems so much like a preppy movie and i think that i will like it even though i am not preppy!!!!
it looks like it would be good buti mean i think that it willl kinda be weird,but really really really really really funny.
richardcardellioni
November 10, 2006
Very funny movie. Not quite as gross as Something About Mary but had to laugh when she cut off his ear while giving him a haircut.
xXGaByTaXx
xXGaByTaXx

July 24, 2006
Even thou the movie has really good actors and the trama is "funny", i didn't find it very entertaining.
August 21, 2013
Attori discreti a servizio di demenza allo stato puro e senza pretese.
December 15, 2012
I remember seeing this for the first time at my mother's house. She had just purchased it and was anxious to see it. I thought for sure it was gonna be some silly chick-flick when I saw Chris Klein and Heather Graham on the cover...so I was not enthused when it started. Man was I wrong! I laughed throughout the entire movie! I highly suggest this film if you're lookin' for laughs!