Scalpers Reviews

April 11, 2011
I'm generally a fan of independent film, and I tried hard to like this one, but just couldn't make it happen. If it's bad, it's bad. The idea seemed interesting, which is why I took the opportunity for an instant view on Netflix. A young man has been schooled in the underworld art of grifting. He uses his shady skill in an attempt to earn enough money so that his dying grandmother can have a life saving operation. Despite the serious nature of the narrative, this film tries to offer comedy too, which is fine if you can pull it off. Unfortunately, both comedy and drama fall flat. It just isn't believable, relying on sterotypes and cliche edited into a hodgepodge of disparate scenes. It seems like the writer has some wit and skill, but lacked the fundamental skill of telling a story. Some of the scenes seemed to have virtually no purpose that to go for a laugh, which made for a herky jerky film. Jeff Skinner as Lou and the man that played the grandfather both did a nice job. The others, though giving a good effort, just fell flat.