The Scalphunters Reviews

½ November 18, 2010
Semi comic western offset by a little too much violence. Shelley Winters is amusing as a shady lady who rolls with the punches and Burt Lancaster and a very young Ossie Davis have a nice rapport.
½ September 5, 2009
Average late-era western with an above average performance from Ossie Davis. A little thematically stilted.
½ December 17, 2008
Solid western. Good performances from all the actors. Good script. Nearly a great movie, but not quite.
½ May 18, 2015
Por maior que seja o gozo de ver Burt Lancaster e Telly Savalas em confronto a caminho do México, "The Scalphunters" não é muito mais que um simples western cómico de aventuras, com a agravante de um subtexto racial datado aos olhos de hoje.
May 27, 2008
A comical western with more than a hint of social satire.
½ February 4, 2014
OK, this wasn't a great movie, but I am a big Telly Savalas fan, so I am going to go a little easy on it. I am also not a big fan of westerns, but I am a fan of Burt Lancaster. I think he may be one of the best actors of all time. Both he and Savalas are not very good people in this movie. It's hard to survive in the old west, so I guess you have to be kind of a jerk. Even though Lancaster is supposed to be the protagonist and Savalas the antagonist, neither of them is very nice. They are both pretty much scalpers. Savalas and his gang steal Lancaster's booty and Lancaster tries to get it back from him. Shelly Winters, who plays Savalas' girl, is also in it as her flamboyant typical self. I would only recommend this if you are a fan of the actors and of westerns in general. I don't think it was a very big budget movie and probably kind of a quickie throw-away movie. You can probably find it free on demand or online so if you hate it, at least all you wasted was time.
October 8, 2013
I enjoyed the movie, a good clean movie that you can get for the kids to watch
May 21, 2013
Fifty percent comedy. Fifty percent western. One hundred percent fun! I stand by my words that almost any movie with Burt Lancaster in it is worth your just so you can here Lancaster speak, and this movie provides him with ample dialogue. Simple plot push forward by stellar performances.
February 16, 2011
I'm simply amazed at how many of these old westerns turn out to be great movies. Writers back then understood things like character arcs, story, plot, dialogue and pacing. The only special effect in this movie is Telly Savalas - and Shelley Winters is equally great!