School of Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

School of Life Reviews

February 4, 2014
This movie leaves you with a ray of hope that there are some teachers that are not disillusioned.
½ September 5, 2010
Ryan Reynolds. Never heard of this, yet I found it to be absolutely fantastic! He is just the best.
January 21, 2010
Cast: David Paymer, Ryan Reynolds, Kate Vernon, Andrew Robb, John Astin, Leila Johnson, Shylo Sharity, Chelsea Florko, Jillian Marie, Alexander Pollock

Director: William Dear

Summary: Stodgy educator Matt Warner (David Paymer) -- who's determined to carry on his late father's legacy of winning the Teacher of the Year award -- suddenly finds himself competing with charismatic new history teacher Michael D'Angelo (Ryan Reynolds) in this made-for-TV family tale. In an effort to smear the affectionately dubbed "Mr. D," Matt tails him and makes a shocking discovery that leads to an uncomfortable self-assessment and an about face.

My Thoughts: "A feel good movie with a great message but with a bitter-sweet ending. Good performances from Ryan and David Paymer. The story is about learning what little time we have on this planet so what we do with it better count. The title of the film is very fitting. It isn't about school or teachers, it's about us. How we treat each other how we see each other. What we can do and what we should do. To make something of our lives and don't waste the time we have been given because our time is limited and unforseen. Not a film for most, but one worth taking a look at with your kids."
½ December 14, 2009
Cute message to it. I just love Ryan Reynolds so that made it worth watching.
July 18, 2007
It's good to see a film focus on teachers' relationships in strengthening kids' minds.
This would be good for a family movie night, although I admit to enjoying darker films.
Reynolds and Paymer are both great in this.
½ June 19, 2007
In my opinion this movie trumps School of Rock on many levels. Sure it is a bit cheesy and predictable at times but most movies of this type are. The movie that ALMOST inspired me to be a teacher. A few minor changes and a bigger budget and it could have been a successful mainstream movie.
May 25, 2012
I saw this movie before I graduated with my English Degree. It wasnt really funny. There wasnt a real issue. It was just a light hearted movie. It taught me how to be a teacher (no joke)!
October 17, 2011
I could NOT have enjoyed this movie more! It was funny, emotional, and full of fun. Ryan Reynolds nailed this role, as did everyone else. I would recommend this to EVERYONE !!!!
October 7, 2011
starring Ryan Reynolds Who plays a teacher that I wish I had for History class (or any other one for that matter being he makes it fun & interesting.. Key word..ENTERTAINING.) Real teachers need to take notes from this character. He's mysterious and kids & teachers alike just love him, All but one. The stuffy Biology Teacher whose father won the Teacher of the year award for 40+ years in a row, and swears this is his year is suspicious of him. I think it's a cool film Oh & to exlain more I would have to ruin the movie for you as that mystery is part of the key to the whole movie B
September 22, 2009
This is a good family friendly movie. The acting and plot may be a little weak, but it does have a nice message.
March 10, 2010
this could almost be a Disney flick, in that it seems to be trying to deliver a message. A guy whose award winning father dies thinks it's his legacy to win the teacher of the year award thereafter, but is thwarted by a new teacher who appears after his father's funeral. New teacher was inspired by the dead teacher of the year and becomes new teacher of the year.
October 21, 2009
I love this movie, its one of the best dramas ever,if you have never seen it its a must u will love it I prom.!
½ May 11, 2008
Nice movie. I really wish my history teacher was cool like that. I love Ryan Reynolds, he is so awesome. That science teacher is so jealous. The movie starting getting sad but nicer. Who knew what Mr.D was actually going through. Great movie.
½ September 27, 2006
I know this is a made-for-t.v. movie, but it was still good. I really like Ryan Reynolds in it, and the storyline is touching I guess.
February 2, 2015
Positive but predictable and uneventful story. Half an hour too long! The characters are flat but this is a TV movie.
½ June 27, 2014
Extremely farfetched view of life in junior high that is only for the junior high set.Too juvenile for adults.
½ October 19, 2011
Reynolds tries at least....
August 7, 2012
I love this movie and have seen it several times and it still moves me and makes me laugh ;)
May 6, 2012
This film is inspiring. Although it is silly and a bit cheesy, it's about redefining what living means, what learning is. And no matter who you are, this movie will make you feel ready to take on life again- even in the face of great adversity.