71% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Schultze Gets the Blues Reviews

June 21, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]In "Schultze Gets the Blues", Schultze(Horst Krause), a man of few words, has just taken early retirement from the mine in Germany where he worked; freeing up his time to hang out with his pals all day, visit his mother in the old age home and polish his garden gnomes. He is also an accomplished accordion player, and hopes to be in the running to win a trip to attend a music festival in Texas. He performs traditional polkas but one night he has an epiphany while listening to Zydeco music on the radio...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Schultze Gets the Blues" is a wonderfully photographed bittersweet deadpan comedy about retirement and growing older. The movie has great respect for its characters and small town life.[/font]
Henrik S

July 10, 2009
Tranquility and isolation paired up with tenderness and the fascination of glimpsing into the lives of others make this my favourite arthouse movie ever. The story of a retired mineworker discovering the magic of American Blues which sends him on a personal, as well as actual journey into the heartland of America. Amazing and mezmerizing, this movie is most definetly not for everyone, as it is a far cry from Hollywood cinema, being far too subtle, slow and simple. Don't be fooled though, behind it's lighthearted touch breeds a heavy philosophy of self-discovery and love for all things beautiful and human.
December 26, 2008
Watch the first 5 minutes to see if you have the patience this film requires! If not, don't be ashamed to put it aside for later. When you do go for it, be sure to watch the *whole* thing; stopping halfway through will just leave you frustrated.
I came in already liking a lot about the subject matter -- accordion music, garden gnomes, the bayou -- but it was still difficult to watch. It's paced SO FRIGGIN' SLOW (and doesn't really get much quicker as it goes on).
And yet... the last 10 minutes made me rethink the whole thing and look back on it more warmly. As some reviewer said, "It's a bit of a surprise when the film ends and you realize that you've been touched in unanticipated ways by Schultze's solitary quest."
The plot itself makes me reflect on what's the meaning of life, where to look for joy, etc. And there are a few *great* little moments (when he first hears the new music on the radio, or when his first zydeco dance-partner leaves him).
Still, I don't know that I could sit through it again. Perhaps the way it's filmed is *supposed* to feel uncomfortable to someone used to modern fast-paced Hollywood film-making? Maybe that's the whole point? Maybe if I knew more about film art theory I could appreciate why the camera is always still and unmoving, or why *every single scene* goes on for 30 seconds longer than it "needs to" by usual standards... but I'm not good at that stuff. It definitely gives the film an unusual character!
doctorevil206
April 26, 2006
You don't have to know German to enjoy this movie. Its a unique story and has a lot of subtle humor. And there are garden gnomes, how can you lose? I got really attached to the character, it sucks you in.
February 10, 2014
Cute "slice of life" comedy about getting out of a rut and finding new enthusiasm by trying new things, because life is too short to plod along with the "same old, same old."
June 1, 2012
Quirky and charming, there's not a lot of dialog or action. Still an interesting view into cross-cultural influence and exchange of music from Germany to the US.
Kay114
January 8, 2006
:fresh:

When forcibly retired German miner Schultze is moved by an adhoc radio broadcast to play a Cajun riff on his accordion, he's sure senility's begun. Everything his Polka-enthusiast community expects of 'his father's son' is challenged by this freeform synthesis of African, American, and French rural music. Sent to Texas, the stodgy types and sound of a town desperate to be exactly what he's always known makes an unexpected swim with a friendly, younger Afro-American woman impell him on a search for the Southern sound he craves. Though the shipboard journey proves more frustrating than he or the audience hopes, the themes of man versus society, mortality, and self make a nearly silent movie worth its universal acclaim.
KEN BECK
February 6, 2012
Funny, Sweet, Sad, even Silly. Yet wonderful withal: Schultze, a rock of salt on the earth, is a yearning soul on a journey to his own understandings. You have to love the guy not only for trying, but for doing it against all his odds!
Rajknow
February 15, 2010
Schultze and his two friends have been put out to pasture in early retirement but this is no time for him to stick to the traditional polka script. Schultze?...no way!

If you're looking for a film that will grab you by the neck, pass on this one. If you're looking for one that you will place you on it's back and take you on an unpredictable voyage like life often takes us on, you could do worse than travelling with Scultze. Delightfully droll but not for those lacking patience.
Hermes
November 29, 2009
What do you get if an art house director makes a movie about an unemployed middle aged German worker who likes to play polkas on his accordeon?

A slow movie, with the main character hanging around with the people in his little town, with lots of landscape and interior shots that remind me of the photographs of Bernd and Hilla Becher.

The little town's Texan sister city invites one musician over to America, and it takes the movie one hour to decide to send Schultze, who has recently discovered cajun music. It seems the movie gets slightly faster there (and the location shots seem less precise), as the mono-lingual Schulze discovers the rhythm of southern States.

7 points, not in the least, because of Horst Krause's great depiction of Schultze.

June 21, 2006
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
hbfarker
May 30, 2006
:o

Oh, Schultze. Why do you have to be so boring? And why did you have to go on an adventure that's not the least bit interesting? And why did your story need to have such a terrible ending? And why did you have a director that didn't find a need to hire an editor? Such questions may never be answered... and if you're lucky you won't have to ask them.

Avoid this movie unless you crave punishment.
bogdana
May 14, 2006
This film felt real and imaginative but was ultimately sad and a little unfulfilling. Slow moving...extremely slow. I don't think it's a waste but I certainly walked around for an hour or two thinking about the ending and how I would have changed one little thing in it. However, the way the movie moves is just poetic and at times very funny, and I enjoyed it overall.
SauceyTomatoe
April 22, 2006
Schultze Gets The Blues put me to sleep, literally.
It took me two sessions of watching the DVD to
get through it all the way.

I loved the premise -- an old man who has lost his
lifelong job at the salt mines finds new passion for
his accordion after hearing zydeco music on the radio.

This movie is slow slow slow, and there is no payoff.
When Schultze's friends send him to America as a gift, the old
man putts around in a tiny old riverboat, but we never
see him play the music that had captured his heart.

True there are bits of charm here and there,
such as the respectful old-fashioned way the
old many removes his had and says "Shultze"
to introduce himself. His friends are loving.
Schultze's garden back home is well-tended,
complete with gnomes borrowed from Amelie.
But when all was said and done, there seemed
to be no meaning in the telling of Schultze's
tale, outside of a vague meaningless sadness
in growing old and dying.
wjlarue

[/b][b]Sahara

[/b][b]Immortal[/b]
TheQ
April 19, 2005
[b]Shultze Gets the Blues[/b] - A slow, quirky, and sad little film about a man's attempts to break free from complacency. While many may see the slow pacing as a negative, I believe that it works, and could only work this way for the ending to deliver the effect that it does. By keeping it slow, we understand Shultze's decisions and feel his consequences. Worth the watch.

[b]The Seventh Seal[/b] - This being the second Bergman film I've seen, I'm going to have to say, I'm not feeling the Ingmar. He has his distinct style, and I respect that, but it seems as if, though he's claimed to be one of the most artistic directors of all time, he doesn't seem to be pushing the envelope as much as he should. But on the film itself, its got some memorable moments and shots with the entire premise which is utter genius. Other than that, this film failed to impress me as Bergman seems to do with so many others.

[b]Bad Education[/b] - The most visually beautiful film of 2004 by leaps and bounds. Almodovar crafts his (claimed) masterpiece with the eye of a rainbow. The clothing is flamboyant, the sets are gorgeous, and the cinematography is stunning. The music is as equally impressive as the visuals, for it gets the audience into every moment and feeling of every character. My one complaint is that the film seems to be building to some great climax, but never develops as much as it builds up to. A stunning achievement.

[b]Final Cut[/b] - What starts out as a cool premise ultimately becomes a mediocre future-thriller. The acting from Williams is delivered wonderfully, but I can't say the same for his cohorts. The cinematography doesn't quite fit the film and the direction seemed to start out passionately, but it divulged into a lets-see-how-far-we-can-go and then ultimately into a lets-get-this-over-with. An overall meh movie.

[b]Battle Royale[/b] ([i]Second Viewing[/i]) - What at first viewing seems like the most explosive film ever made fades drastically upon a second watching. The action, while still exhilerating, fails to shock the viewer as it once did. Then there's the story. There too many plot holes to dismiss and the acting seems far under par (except for Beat, who does excellent). I really wish I had still loved this movie as I once did, but here I am, disappointed again...
chin4me
March 27, 2005
Good movie. Definitely recommend a rental.