Scotland, Pa. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scotland, Pa. Reviews

jjnxn
½ April 22, 2008
A bit bumpy in execution but an interesting take on updating MacBeth.
April 5, 2009
70s-tastic! Clever adaptation of Macbeth with modern kills, dynasties, and sexplay. Maura Tierney is hot.
puffchunk
November 19, 2007
Terrible. This goes to show that Christopher Walken really will do anything he is offered. It also proves that Andy Dick must die. Only good part: McBeth shoves a hamburger in vegetarian Walkens mouth as he tries to kill him.
½ February 25, 2008
To become king -- of the fast food industry. A wonderful transposition of the MacBeth tragedy. Yeah, it's true, a thousand years ago I guess killing MacDuff's family might have somehow helped expedite the plan, but we're talking the 1970s here, so it really strikes me as more efficient to get right to the root of the problem: Will the power driven James LeGros, spurred by his ruthless soulmate, kill big city cop Chris Walken before the wily veteran vegetarian detective discovers the truth about this twisted couple's grisly push to the top of all fast foodom? The biggest revelation for me in this one is the job Maura Tierney does of descending very believably into the depths of madness. As Lady MacBeth, she works that oil burn as the sign of blood on her hands to true perfection. If for nothing else -- although it is Shakespeare, after all, so even if it sucked, I'd still feel a need to give it a viewing -- you must see this for Tierney's performance. I'm pretty sure she's a TV veteran, although I don't know what show(s), but I really cannot remember ever seeing her in films before. I can't even guess how old she might be, but she is a comer. I'll be on the lookout for more good work from her. A late bloomer perhaps?
½ January 23, 2007
Shakespeare's Macbeth plus the fast food industry = awesome comedy movie. Set in the mid-70s, this movie takes the classic tale of betrayal and guilt and deep-fries it to glorious golden perfection. This is an extremely well-thought out, clever and most importantly funny comedy. Any movie that can make Andy Dick tolerable MUST be worth watching.
Harlequin68
January 28, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkgreen]"Scotland, Pa" is a deliciously off-beat updating of Shakespeare's MacBeth moved forward in time to small town 70's Pennsylvania. James LeGros and Maura Tierney play Joe and Pat McBeth who work in a fast food restaurant. They are a poor but ambitious couple who aim for better things. And if that leads to robbery and murder, than so be it. Which brings us to Christopher Walken playing a vegetarian detective, named Lieutenant McDuff. I was very pleasantly surprised by how faithful this movie was to its original source material with a few original touches thrown in. For example, the witches are a trio of hippies haunting a disused carnival played by of all people - Andy Dick, Timothy Speed Levitch and Amy Smart.(I know that sounds strange but it works wonderfully.) Just as importantly, the 70's production design is spot on.[/color][/font]
½ April 17, 2007
Greasy Spoon, Bloody Murder.

Writer/Director Billy Morrissette has made a really fantastic film here - an updating of Macbeth, changing the setting to a fast food joint in Scotland, Pennsylvania (see what they did there?) in the 1970's.

Rather than a tragedy, the film plays as a black comedy with tragic undertones, mostly played for laughs with an excellent cast. Maura Tierney is truly terrific as Pat McBeth, getting the character just the right shades of wisecracking, manipulative and sympathetic. James LeGros is solid as ever as 'Mac' McBeth, and Christopher Walken is very funny without resorting to his usual creepy shtick. There's also a nice cameo from Amy Smart.

There are some really great touches here - I particularly liked how the "washing of the blood" from Lady Macbeth's hands is updated, and how the ghostly visions Mac has are filmed. Great stuff, and I *love* the soundtrack.
February 23, 2007
Andy Dick has never been better cast. I think in my heart of hearts I always knew he was a weird sister/stoner.
iLeo
½ December 25, 2007
A personal favorite. Love it!
FanGirl
½ March 25, 2007
MacBeth in a hamburger joint. Do I really need to say anything more? One of my favorite Shakespear to film out there.
½ June 10, 2014
From the 1600s to the 1900s this film is a different atmosphere from before. A burger joint? Pretty unique and made Scotland, PA even more funny and interesting. Scotland PA is the same story of Macbeth just in a different setting, more modern time, and in this case this film is about a burger joint and who can do a better job at working a restaurant ; Macbeth or McDuff. Shakespeare's Macbeth is a tragedy and is one of his darkest works ever created but this film didn't seem that way and I enjoyed the movie even more because it made of fun of Macbeth but got the point through. Scotland PA reminds me of a competition of who can be better and a burger joint makes sense. As I was watching this film with my Drama class it was more exciting and I got more of an understanding what Shakespeare was trying to say on Macbeth. Very dramatic that it almost didn't seem like they were being serious because of how each character acted; exaggerated and hilarious. Since William Shakespeare was such an amazing storyteller it was so different from what I expected. I felt like the theme of this movie was not only to see who is better but shows what frustration and power can lead to and how it can be dangerous.
½ March 24, 2014
While watching the movie of Scotland pa, I noticed how this movie is really related to how Shakespeare wrote his most famous play of Macbeth. I was able to find a lot of similarities in this movie for example when lady Macbeth had any visitors in her restaurant the people that would go would end up being dead. She would even be bleeding from her hands which showed how she would always get scared about what she would be bleeding about. This movie was really fascinating because I feel like this made me understand how Macbeth really was. Then something I really noticed was on how this story began in Duncan's food restaurant and how hoe Macbeth took over hat restaurant and turned it into Macbeth's restaurant reminds me of how Macbeth took over MC.Duffs's kingdom when he was forced by his wife to take over the kingdom.. Just by watching this movie I was able to see how this scene looked like and I understood it much better. Even though I did see some differences than expected for example at the end of the movie I saw hoe Macbeth ended up dying and was killed by MC.Duff which went way different instead of MC.Duff dying it was Macbeth. I finally was able to understand the movie because I saw how each character looked like or how they each acted for example MC.Duff's kids who were different that he was.
March 22, 2014
Scotland Pa. is an interesting yet simple interpretation of William Shakespeare Macbeth in the 1970's. Mac (Macbeth) is an employee at McDuff's burger joint. But stuff happens and soon enough the burger joint becomes "McBeths's". If you know the story of Macbeth then you would easily understand every situation in this movie and if you don't know, I suggest you learn about it because it won't be as funny to you unless you know the story. Christopher Walken and James LeGros shine in their genius satyr roles. "Mac" played by James LeGros does a great job at interpreting what a modern-day Macbeth would be like.
It's a great movie for students who are learning about Macbeth to watch because it's A: it's not boring and B: although it is not the exact story line, the movie is gets the gist of the play. The movie has everything you need to explain Macbeth. It has murders, prophecies, lying and action. Out of five stars I would rate this movie at a 3. It honestly helped me understand Shakespeare's "Macbeth" a lot better. If I were Shakespeare and I was able to see this movie, I would be pleased how well and how interesting it follows the plays story line.
½ March 1, 2014
Scotland, PA (2001) is a hilarious modern day incarnation of one of Shakespeare's most famous plays, Macbeth. Morrissette turns this dark tragedy into a satire of greed, and lust for power, in which the characters eventually feel remorse for their actions. Learning about Shakespeare's plays is not the most exciting thing, but after watching this film, it really helps you understand what the play Macbeth was about in an entertaining way.

The film begins with Joe McBeth(James LeGros) and Pat McBeth (Maura Tierney) working at Duncan's, fast food restaurant. McBeth has many ideas to improve the restaurant but they never get considered. After the assistant manager of the restaurant gets fired and the place turns into a drive thru, McBeth and his wife decide to take action in the opportunity and kill Duncan. They succeed and eventually turn Duncan's into McBeth's restaurant. The restaurant continues selling burgers, but just when the McBeth's think everything is alright, McBeth's friend Banko and Lieutenant McDuff(Christopher Walken) start suspecting of them killing Duncan. This brings the McBeths to have hallucinations because of their guilt and they aren't capable of following through with the rest of the events. McBeth ends up killing Banko since he knows too much and he begins to lose his sanity. The witches in this film are stoned hippies. These hippies tell McBeth to kill McDuff but in a turn of events McBeth is the one who ends up being killed when he falls of the building. In the end of the film, McDuff turns the restaurant into McDuff's instead of McBeth's.

Most of the characters in this film are very similar to those of the famous play. McBeth just like in the play is a sympathetic villain, he is easily persuaded by his wife who only lusts for power. She causes McBeth to turn ambitious, paranoid, and greedy. Both characters lose sanity which leads them to their death. The film involves a lot of profanity from the characters. The director's choice of actors was very clever since they were very similar to the characters they portrayed. As for the costumes, they were very much like how people in the 70's would dress, the language and personality of the characters as well fit into the 70's theme. Scotland PA, is not a movie for everyone but it is certainly for someone who enjoys dark comedy or the works of Shakespeare. People without knowledge of the play Macbeth, would just think the characters are awkward and strange.
½ March 7, 2013
Pretty funny...I wish I remembered "MacBeth" better but it did start to come back to me while I watched it.
½ November 5, 2012
McBeth redux 1970s style.Happend upon this movie by accident....sometimes the film gods are with ya I guess.Great movie with a killer Bad Company soundtrack
½ January 28, 2012
A fun take on the story of Macbeth with a lot of unexpected laughs in it. Maura Tierney in particular is good as the Lady Macbeth character, and Christopher Walken is extremely entertaining as Lieutenant McDuff. It's interesting to see the comedic angle on such a well-known play. The abrupt ending didn't quite work for me, but overall it was fun to watch.
January 18, 2010
I really don't know what to say about this one, but I guarantee you'll never look at the story of Macbeth in the same way again.
December 18, 2007
Funny and clever, Scotland, PA. feels like Fargo in tone crossed with the 70s and Shakespeare. The great thing is that it works and nothing feels shoehorned in or left out. Walken has fun, and a good gag at the end, and Maura Tierney makes a deliciously passive-aggressive Lady Macbeth.
½ September 30, 2009
Anyone who has studied Shakespeare's tragedy Macbeth in depth, will get a kick out of Scotland PA. Of course, it doesn't follow the story bit by bit, but it doesn't have to. Practically everything the movie omits, it refers to at some point. The film succeeds at morphing a classical tragedy into a contemporary dark comedy.