• PG, 1 hr. 41 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Seems Like Old Times Reviews

Spencer S

March 29, 2014
An easily forgotten, but not altogether horrible romantic comedy, this turkey was written by Neil Simon in his first time writing a screenplay straight for the screen. All the elements for a good eighties slapstick comedy are there: Chevy Chase as the bumbling misanthropic foil, Goldie Hawn as the slightly bubble headed but still do-good protagonist, and Charles Grodin as her long suffering second husband. While there isn't anything new to see in yet another romantic comedy about a love triangle, it still has the same zest and slapstick humor of the old Hollywood goofball comedies of the thirties and forties, which is what Neil Simon was going for. What I find repellant is how long they drag out every single, solitary, gag. The wife hides her ex from her current husband, and oftentimes is almost caught for her efforts, and so it's awkward and funny, and eventually she rambles something incoherent and stumbles out of the room. We've all seen these pratfalls before, but lingering on bad puns does not make them funny, as is the same rule of thumb for prompting chemistry between two leads. Though there are some genuinely feel good moments, it's nothing new compared to the rest of Simon's repertoire.
Apeneck F

September 16, 2012
With a heartfelt admiration for the Marx Bros. and vaudevillian drawing room pieces, Neil Simon's writing takes center stage in this afternoon comedy about an ex-husband's abrupt reappearance in the life of his ex-wife's happy, successful, and remarried, life. This only lacks a cymbal crash after every line. Cornball fans will be happy.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A hilarious comedy about love and marriage. It's sort of a love adventure, and it's fun. I really liked this movie, and it has a good cast too.
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

January 27, 2008
I love Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase together. Chevy in this film is on the run from the police and hiding at his ex-wives home. All I have to say is Goldie's home in this film is crowded with dogs and many friends...check this funny movie out.
Lafe F

August 20, 2007
Not a sequel to "Foul Play"! There's little mystery here with Chevy Chase as a fugitive hiding at his ex-wife Goldie Hawn's house. Charles Grodin plays her new husband. Flat. No Foul Play here.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 6, 2007
a funny silly romp of a movie with three pros working at top speed.
Dann M

April 25, 2014
The goofball comedy Seems Like Old Times is poorly written and unfocused. After being abducted and forced to rob a bank Nick Gardenia seeks the help of his ex-wife, but things get complicated when her new husband is assigned to prosecute Nick's case. The story is poorly told and never seems to know where it's going. And despite have a strong cast that includes Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn, and Charles Grodin, the comedy is weak and doesn't really work. Seems Like Old Times is a badly made film that doesn't deliver that many laughs.
Lauren D

January 28, 2011
It wasn't bad. It was quite funny throughout; not hilarious, but funny enough.

My main problem was too much Goldie Hawn and not enough Chevy Chase. This is not just because Hawn is extremely ugly and Chase is not, but it focused too much on her character and her husband rather than what Chase was doing, which I think would've been more interesting. Chase is also funnier than the others, so I didn't get many, if any, laughs from scenes he wasn't in.
moviefan1725
moviefan1725

April 13, 2008
One of the movies that I actually forgot I had. Haven't watched in many years, but it's still just as funny. Makes it strange to remember that there was a time when Chevy Chase was funny. He's at his best here, and even manages to evoke an early version of Fletch. In a scene where he is questioned by police, he manages to come up with the alias Harris J. Freedlander, who makes a living by carving the heads of dead presidents out of driftwood. Only a comic actor with the deadpan timing of Chase could deliver that, and make it sound believable. Goldie Hawn channels her inner Lucielle Ball, makes the most of her big hair and big eyes, and shows why she was the Meg Ryan of her day. Charles Grodin plays the straight man better than anyone, and here he tries to be the calm eye in the storm of antics Chase and Hawn create, while still delivering more than his fair share of great one liners.
Not only is the comedic timing and chemistry between the three leads great, but they are surrounded by an amazing group of supporting characters. TK Carter and Robert Guillaume both manage to make their characters of Hawn's chauffer and Grodin's assistant, respectively, fully rounded characters with personality and good humor. My favorite supporting character is played by Harold Gould as the local judge. His timing is that of a seasoned pro, and he steals every scene he's in.
Only Neil Simon could write a screenplay like this. The dialogue is sharp, and delivered with the speed of a classic Cary Grant-style comedy.. It's a movie that would never get made today because it's too clean.
toejambaseball24
toejambaseball24

November 15, 2010
One of my favorite classic comedies. Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase have such great comedic timing.
Nate H

May 29, 2010
Not too shabby, nothing particularly memorable though. Goldie Hawn has an unusual tendency to play divorcees that are inextricably linked with lawyers. The plot is plagued by a few inexplicable motivations and apparent holes but Chevy is funny enough and Goldie charming enough that the action nevertheless swims along. The little recurring gags - the huge pack of dogs, for one - were just funny enough to push this one over the top into decentness..
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

October 15, 2008
'Seems Like Old Times' And Like Old Screwball Comedies

Lots better than the Chevy Chase-Goldie Hawn pairing in Foul Play, maybe that's because Neil Simon wrote (and directed) this one. Chevy is typically wisecracking but strangely reserved, especially for a screwball comedy.
BantamDraper
April 20, 2010
I feel like this is a forgotten romantic comedy classic. This is when Chevy Chase was at the height of his powers and Goldie Hawn was brilliant in this. Hilarious and sweet, this film needs to be watched.
The80sExpert
September 3, 2008
This reminds me of the old 40s movies where the married couple would always get back together after a crazy adventure.
peilo
January 12, 2009
The best movie that paired both Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase. Very entertaining and I've probably watched it 10 or more times over the last 20 something years, and each time I stay tuned, Very entertaining and the fun cute Goldie Hawn I remember
December 26, 2008
This movie was really cute and funny. Saw it on TV one night just flipping the channels and watched it, and I enjoyed it!
November 6, 2007
I remember watching this as a kid, it's one of my favorite Chevy Chase movies. The hilarity of the whole situation is more than enough to make you laugh your ass off. Throw in some sharp dialogue and enough goofballness, and you got yourself a winner.
May 21, 2008
Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn team up once more in Neil Simon's take on a love triangle in trouble. Fans of the pair will love the comedic chaos that the 2 of them get into. If you liked 'Foul Play', you will love this movie!!!!!
ershero
May 29, 2007
I have watched this movie thousands of times (I have worn out 3 tapes and now have it on DVD) and never get tired of it Goldie Hawns face in the final scene is so perfect.
filmguy55
May 22, 2007
This is a very overlooked comedy. Chevy and Charles Grodin are great here. Very funny look this one up