• R, 1 hr. 49 min.

Seven Psychopaths Reviews

garyX
garyX

October 10, 2012
A boozy screen writer, his best friend and a professional dog-napper become the targets of a ruthless mobster when they unknowingly steal his shih tzu. The follow up to the brilliantly oddball In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths is clearly aiming more for the American mainstream, being very much in the Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino mold. It does have the same post-modern slant and zany humour of McDonagh's previous collaboration with Colin Farrell, who once again strikes up a winning partnership with his co-star, this time Sam Rockwell as the unhinged movie junkie desperate to re-enact his own revenge fantasy. As a whole it reminded me of Tarantino's early work with lots of Grindhouse style asides as they spew forth their ridiculous script ideas so it's not as original as In Bruges, but it's consistently entertaining and very funny and if you can imagine a version of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang parodying Pulp Fiction instead of Film Noir you're in the right ball park.
Spencer S

October 10, 2012
This is the best of what absurdist film has to offer, the best of the gangster film genre, and the best film to feature any psychopaths, "Seven Psychopaths" has so much going for it that it's hard not to swoon. For one thing, it doesn't follow conventional filmmaking rules, so be ready for a film about screenwriting. Also, don't think there are going to be a plethora of psychopaths, because there aren't. Main character Marty (Farrell) is writing a screenplay about seven psychopaths, that being the title, and as the film progresses we meet some of them. Some are real people who merge into his life, and others are stories that have evolved with each retelling. The stories that are told to Marty, and which he comes up with, are definitely the biggest draw to this film because they are ingenious and have twists at the end that are smart and unassuming. The other characters in the trio are Hans (Walken) and Billy (Rockwell). Hans is definitely the most off-the-wall and impetuous of the psychopaths, being played by Christopher Walken and all. His story is depressing, he does crazy things throughout the film, and with every unexpected turn he still doesn't fear death. Billy is the strongest character because he's the only psychopath with warped morals, and yet a bloodlust. He kills with a vengeance for morality, but he still wants to kill people in the first place, so maybe his heart isn't in the right place. This is certainly a breakout role for Rockwell, who has made an impression as a crazed maniac before in "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" and "Charlie's Angels" but this is a larger and more indelible role. The film builds to a successful level of suspense and danger as they face death at the hands of another psychopath's love for his dog. The climax may not have been what anyone would expect, seeing as how it has nothing to do with torture, mass murder, or even what anyone could call psychopathic behavior, but when it comes to giving the characters a right ending, this film successfully delivers. That and it's always entertaining to watch such crafty psychopaths try not to be socially awkward with one another.
Anthony L

September 11, 2013
This is definitely a screen writers film and it is indeed and as you would hope, well written. Life imitates art etc, not always something that is done well but here it works. It's reminiscent of those early 90's post-noir films, Pulp Fiction and the 101 films that tried to copy it. Maybe this film is just 20 years too late, the cast is superb and everyone has a good day in the office but somehow it never really seems to be as great as it should be, unfortunately the whole is not greater than the some of its parts but then I was expecting a film on par with the great In Bruges! But hey, 7/10 ain't bad!
Market Man
Market Man

June 5, 2013
Entertaining but very unbalanced. I would have preferred a better connection between the dog story and the seven psychopaths. The film also loses momentum during the desert scenes which are very slow, but the screenplay presentation is hilarious. Great cast, interesting story, but overall it could have been executed better.
Carlos M

March 1, 2013
A funny dark comedy that has some very inspired moments, but McDonagh does not know exactly what to do with the material in his hands, and so he keeps pulling easy tricks out of his sleeves at the expense of a more elaborated structure.
cosmo313
cosmo313

August 24, 2012
This had the potential to be great, but it instead is somewhat of a sophomore slump for Martin McDonagh.

The heavily self referential plot concerns an alcoholic Irish screenwriter struggling through writer's block named Marty. His latest effort, "Seven Psychopaths" isn't even past the first page. His best friend Billy is an out of work actor who spends most of his time involved with a dog-napping scam with his buddy Hans who is quite religious, but also has a violent past. Billy tries his hardest to give Marty inspiration, but when he and Hans capture the beloved dog of crime boss Charlie, Marty finds himself caught up in their mess. While it could be a dire thing, it might also be just the inspiration he's been needing.

The film is essentially sort of about itself, and it shares a lot in common with stuff like Barton Fink, but especially Adaptation. However, this doesn't have the brilliance of either of those two, and is mostly a muddled and incoherent darkly comedic romp that satirizes mob movie/psycho thriller conventions.

It is very entertaining, and I dug the pitch black humor, but I also found it hard to really get deeply invested. It's as if McDonagh had a good idea, but then didn't really know what to do with it.

What saves the film, ultimately are the over-the-top violence, and the solid performances from a very well-known ensemble cast. I mean, we get Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson in all the major roles, as well as appearances from Abbie Cornish, Tom Waits, Olga Kurylenko, Gabourey Sidibe, Kevin Corrigan, and Harry Dean Stanton.

The film is a mess, but it's fun while it lasts, even if it really doesn't add up to much.
Dan S

April 3, 2013
An entertaining, unique film concerning a screenwriter (Colin Farrell) suffering from writer's block, and how his best friend (Sam Rockwell) tries to help him with a story titled "Seven Psychopaths" by finding actual psychopaths to give him ideas for how to construct his story. What results is a chaotic adventure concerning the kidnapping of one psychopath's (Woody Harrelson) dog, and his quest to find her and kill those who took her from him. Director Martin McDonagh keeps packing surprises and twists, as well as a unique directorial flair that is a breath of fresh air. The ensemble cast is terrific, namely Farrell and Christopher Walken (who steals the show, again), and the sense of humor it possesses is a nice touch for a dark and violent story. Not for all crowds, but for those that like action/comedies, this movie gets a ton right.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

April 3, 2013
They Won't Take Any Shih Tzu.

Good movie! This script for this film is very original. There are a lot of twists in this movie plot-wise and genre-wise making it a fantastic, unpredictable adventure. Many would think that a movie that jumps around through different genres would be a bad thing, but this movie is so fluid and every plot point connects so well, that you aren't bothered in the slightest about deciding what the genre is of this film. A film with the title Seven Psychopaths promises intense violence and you will get that, but not just that. This is not a mindless movie that uses just blood as entertainment. This is a smart movie that has plot and meaning. Yes, it's violent but there is also drama and a surprising amount of comedy. All of the characters have a certain wit to them, delivering lines that are beyond hilarious. If you enjoy creative writing, talented acting, and movies that are all-around completely original, then I encourage you to see this movie.

The comedy Seven Psychopaths follows a struggling screenwriter ('Colin Farrell' ) who inadvertently becomes entangled in the Los Angeles criminal underworld after his oddball friends (Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell) kidnap a gangster's (Woody Harrelson) beloved Shih Tzu.
Sanjay R

October 20, 2012
This movie is incredibly unique. The story is so crazy that it works, and even when it doesn't the great cast picks up the slack. This film is dark, tense and hilarious, sometimes all at once. Great performances by Harrelson, Rockwell and Walken and a great screenplay.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

March 21, 2013
three stars!
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

March 19, 2013
Not worth the expense of one DVD. Rather then watch this movie do somethng more productive like walk your dog, count rain drops, crush potato chips in a bag. 1/2 star 3-18-13
Cynthia S

February 11, 2013
I was actually surprised at how good this movie was....and clever. Led by the Kings of Quirk, Christopher Walken, and Sam Rockwell, this very enjoyable film is filled with an ensemble cast that are all very fun to watch. Definitely bloody, and not at all for children.
Idrees K

October 12, 2012
My love for black comedy knows no bounds. Hilariously hard-hitting film.
Josh L

October 1, 2012
Seven Psychopaths is an entertaining, witty, and often funny film with spot-on performances from everyone involved, but there's just something missing from the script toward the end that leaves an unsatisfying feeling. There's times when this films commentary can be funny and times when it thinks it is smarter than it actually is. The story is quite ridiculous, but in a hilarious tongue in cheek manner that is very entertaining until they hit the desert section of the film. That's when the film comes to a halt and it never fully recovers. Martin McDonagh is a director I'm going to pay attention to becomes he has a knack for these brutally violent and funny pictures in the vein of Tarantino. Seven Psychopaths is not as strong as his previous effort "In Bruges" and I can't quite fully recommend it, but it does have its pleasures. Chief among them some quality performances from Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, and Colin Farell.
skactopus
skactopus

February 13, 2013
Martin McDonagh's Seven Psychopaths tells a story about a story.A lot does happen within the 105 minutes of screen time, but the story as a whole isn't exactly a smooth ride. Watching a film about a guy writing the script for this very film does have its moments; although at others, it is a bit of a mind twister. The male characters each have character and that goes a long way here. The female characters on the other hand, go nowhere.The violence is hilariously brutal, yet not so much as to be considered overkill. As for the humor, it is subtle; this film isn't exactly a laugher.Colin Farrell may be the lead, but he ends up in the shadow of many others. Sam Rockwell is an irritant from time to time, but it is fitting for his character. Christopher Walken does what he does best; his line delivery is pure enjoyment. Woody Harrelson does live up as a gangster.By the end, Seven Psychopaths lives up to its name with a solid mesh of humor, violence, and a helping of psychopaths.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 9, 2013
Billy: You can't let the animals die in a movie... only the women.

"They Won't Take Any Shih Tzu."

This was a movie that I didn't really have an idea of going in. I didn't know if I would like it or hate it based on the trailer. It seemed like it could be smart, funny, and entertaining, but it also seemed like it could be a disappointment. Well it's anything but a disappointment. It was everything I could have possibly wanted. Seven Psychopaths is funny, it's entertaining, and it's surprisingly fresh. It's well acted, deviates from what you'd expect, and has a variety of interesting and unique characters.

A screenwriter is trying to write a movie called Seven Psychopaths, but he doesn't want it to be violent. He's sort of a pacifist, which isn't too great because he begins to notice that his life is being surrounded by psychopaths. It will help in writing the movie though, right? A friend of his kidnaps a gangsters dog and soon the gangster is after them. I don't want to give too many plot details away so I'll just stop there.

Sam Rockwell's character is enough to sell this movie by himself. It's one of the more unique, interesting, and funny characters I've seen in quite a long time. It helps that Woody Harrelson, Collin Farrell, and Christopher Walken's characters are also nearly perfect. This movie is definitely a character movie and with these talented actors and the great writing it all works so perfectly together.

This isn't a movie like any you would expect, and for that I love it. I also love it for its use of making fun of Hollywood in ways. This is definitely a must see for film fans as it's something new and exciting in the world of the crime movie. So many times we end up watching the same movie over and over again with different characters, and a writer that thinks he's doing something original. With Seven Psychopaths, that promise was finally met.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

October 10, 2012
"Seven Psychopaths was so, so good. It is one of my favorites that I have watched this year. What a great cast firstly. Collin, Walken, Rockwell, and Harrelson. That right there should be enough to see the movie all on it's own. Then there is the script. What a great story. It's smart, funny, and delivers great performances from the leading men. Love, love, loved Walken in this. I just really liked his character. Collin plays a bit of a scaredy cat in this which is a huge change from any other role he has ever been in. It was nice to see him in a new light. Rockwell is honest and a lot of fun. I really liked his character as well. Harrleson as Charlie was a perfect fit. He played his part to the T. It was funny seeing such a tough gangster type falling apart at the site of his dog. The movie is a good time. So glad I watched it and I will definitely be seeing this again."
Dr114
Dr114

October 1, 2012
This movie was certainly advertised wrong. But you know why? Because its such a different kind of movie, that I'm guessing it would be hard to advertise it for what it is! You may be asking "What is it exactly?". Well, its sort of like a mix of a gangster movie, (a lot of) meta, self-refrencing humor with a satisfying dramatic twist to it. All these mixes meet to make one deliciously hilarious movie. Overall- I want to watch this movie again. Even though I watched in February of 2013, I must say its on my list for best of 2012.
Sam B

October 8, 2012
Martin McDonagh's self-aware screenplay-turned-nightmare film is a less focused affair than, say, similar offerings by Charlie Kaufman, and the film wants to say so much it seems to constantly forget and then remember everything it wants to say over and over again. Still, Seven Psychopaths is hugely entertaining - its funny, sharp, and has an insanely good ensemble cast, especially Sam Rockwell, who easily steals the film away from leading man Colin Farrell (Literally, too).
Luke B

January 29, 2013
After In Bruges I was expecting the world from Martin McDonagh. He kept us waiting 4 years, and from the trailers you would expect this to be a laugh a second quotable film like its predecessor. Although very funny and brilliant, it's also a very different beast. It develops themes that were present, but to a lesser degree, in In Bruges, as well as tackling what I would assume to be some of Martin McDonagh's personal demons. After all, the main character is a writer named Martin, and he even takes digs at In Bruges with comments about exploding heads. The supporting cast are brilliant, especially my idol Tom Waits as a bizarre but brilliant bunny loving psychopath. The narrative is a bit all over the place, for good reason. Many times we are dragged into the incoherent thoughts of writers and psychopaths. Walken holds much of the emotional weight of the film and certainly delivers the goods. I get the feeling this film is going to be a real grower.