Shade

Shade Reviews

ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 15, 2009
When gambling your life, leave nothing to chance.
Al S

November 7, 2006
A swift, smart and wickedly entertaing crime thriller. Tense, clever and really cool. Teriffically funny and suspensful. Great twist and turns that never let up. Lot's of fun and enjoyment. A con you cant help but get caught up in. The cast is brilliant. Stuart Townsend, Thandie Newton and Gabriel Bryne are sizzeling. The three actors have great chemistry. Sylvester Stallone is teriffic. One of his best performances in years. It has the flash and cash to keep up.
Cassandra M

August 19, 2007
Shade is the story about one great poker mechanic (Vernon) pitted against the best (The Dean). Then the story gets incredibly tangled and you're not too sure what is really happening until the very end, which throws me for a loop every time I see it. But the crux of this plot is the big poker game with the very best that are around. Our hero, Vernon, gets his buy-in through the financial backing of his partners, Tiffany and Charlie Miller. The game takes place, then starts this domino of events that are just plain absurd, and then we see the truth and pick up our slacked jaws.

The way the movie is done reminds me a bit of Pulp Fiction in that the first half of the movie is not straight forward, but sideways we can say. It adds a really neat feel to the movie and kind of keeps you guessing for a while. The club/bar scenes and techno music add a nice flavor to the hustling vibe this movie has, big props for that in my opinion. The acting seems a bit forced for some, especially Tiffany, but otherwise it's a good little flick. I'd say overall somewhere near a 7.75/10, but since there's no fractions I gave it an 8. If you enjoy poker/hustling/Stallone, check this one out.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

June 23, 2009
"Shade" is a story of small-time crooks trying to make big... the characters were alright, and the plot OK with some twists and turns. Fairly decent "Big Con" movie, although not in the class of "The Sting" featuring Jamie Foxx, Sylvester Stallone, Melanie Griffith, Gabriel Bryne and Thandie Newton. There is a card mechanic performing numerous tricks with a deck of cards, shot from various angles at opening credits......fascinating.
Remi L

January 22, 2010
I'm a fan of Thandie Newton and Stuart Townsend, but this film did nothing for me.
shannylee38
shannylee38

August 26, 2007
Not so bad for a poker game film! Although it is much more than about the game.
FanGirl
FanGirl

February 3, 2007
I didn't expect this film to be any good, but it was. I liked it a lot more then I was expecting to.
April 4, 2012
Grade: C-

Very dry and uninvolving...Doublecrosses galore and the pacing on this one just fat out stinkds!
June 6, 2011
Goodfellas meets Rounders with a Stellar Cast that includes Stuart Townsend, Gabriel Byrne, Thandie Newton, Jamie Fox, Melanie Griffith, Sly Stallone, to name a few
November 24, 2008
it hurt me to see slys make up look so... scary bah, it was seriously different but stuart townsend is a beast =P two thumbs up for lestat being here, maybe this just isn't my type of thing.
themasterpiece69
August 25, 2008
This movie is okay.The best parts are Thandie Newton smoking.She's so hot!!!!! I think that women who smoke are so sexy!!!!!
jjb3332003
August 5, 2008
For pure poker, watch Rounders. For pure gangster, watch Goodfellas. But if you want to see a good mixing of the two, this is it.
March 26, 2007
I confess, it was the cast, and the $3 price tag of course, that led me to grab this one. How big of a gamble was that after all? And, I can safely give one star for every dollar spent. It wasn't great...it wasn't bad. It had a fair amount of guess work figuring out who was screwing who over and how. Thandie Newton gets to become a role model for every one who has ever wanted to teach a lesson to a pushy bastard in a bar. And, Melanie Griffith gets to do little more than look good in a few scenes. That's probably the real scam...that she may have made a sizable paycheck for this effort.
FernandoTIm
January 11, 2007
Um elenco estelar, um bom filme.

Se você ainda é fã da temática dos cassinos e dos jogos, é uma boa pedida. Se não, vocÊ irá gostar da dinâmica entre os atores, mas não espere muito.
nanoqna
January 5, 2007
this was better than i thought. if you see it youll get it. gabriel byrne is a good actor. stuart townsend is too. its not gerat but its a good movie.
September 11, 2006
One of the best poker movies i've ever seen. But those cards they use, they dont' exist... so dont' trip.
September 26, 2013
It's "Card Sharps" not "Card Sharks" by the way. Good movie.
July 26, 2013
Do not watch this if you know the references to the characters names. Also, this movie is crap.
June 15, 2013
shade is an underrated smart con movie that never ceases to entertain and with the good performances from the star studded cast shade is a surprisingly good movie
October 21, 2012