Shade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shade Reviews

ScoopOnline
December 15, 2009
When gambling your life, leave nothing to chance.
½ November 7, 2006
A swift, smart and wickedly entertaing crime thriller. Tense, clever and really cool. Teriffically funny and suspensful. Great twist and turns that never let up. Lot's of fun and enjoyment. A con you cant help but get caught up in. The cast is brilliant. Stuart Townsend, Thandie Newton and Gabriel Bryne are sizzeling. The three actors have great chemistry. Sylvester Stallone is teriffic. One of his best performances in years. It has the flash and cash to keep up.
August 19, 2007
Shade is the story about one great poker mechanic (Vernon) pitted against the best (The Dean). Then the story gets incredibly tangled and you're not too sure what is really happening until the very end, which throws me for a loop every time I see it. But the crux of this plot is the big poker game with the very best that are around. Our hero, Vernon, gets his buy-in through the financial backing of his partners, Tiffany and Charlie Miller. The game takes place, then starts this domino of events that are just plain absurd, and then we see the truth and pick up our slacked jaws.

The way the movie is done reminds me a bit of Pulp Fiction in that the first half of the movie is not straight forward, but sideways we can say. It adds a really neat feel to the movie and kind of keeps you guessing for a while. The club/bar scenes and techno music add a nice flavor to the hustling vibe this movie has, big props for that in my opinion. The acting seems a bit forced for some, especially Tiffany, but otherwise it's a good little flick. I'd say overall somewhere near a 7.75/10, but since there's no fractions I gave it an 8. If you enjoy poker/hustling/Stallone, check this one out.
xxdebxx
June 23, 2009
"Shade" is a story of small-time crooks trying to make big... the characters were alright, and the plot OK with some twists and turns. Fairly decent "Big Con" movie, although not in the class of "The Sting" featuring Jamie Foxx, Sylvester Stallone, Melanie Griffith, Gabriel Bryne and Thandie Newton. There is a card mechanic performing numerous tricks with a deck of cards, shot from various angles at opening credits......fascinating.
January 22, 2010
I'm a fan of Thandie Newton and Stuart Townsend, but this film did nothing for me.
shannylee38
½ August 26, 2007
Not so bad for a poker game film! Although it is much more than about the game.
FanGirl
½ February 3, 2007
I didn't expect this film to be any good, but it was. I liked it a lot more then I was expecting to.
½ April 4, 2012
Grade: C-

Very dry and uninvolving...Doublecrosses galore and the pacing on this one just fat out stinkds!
June 6, 2011
Goodfellas meets Rounders with a Stellar Cast that includes Stuart Townsend, Gabriel Byrne, Thandie Newton, Jamie Fox, Melanie Griffith, Sly Stallone, to name a few
½ November 24, 2008
it hurt me to see slys make up look so... scary bah, it was seriously different but stuart townsend is a beast =P two thumbs up for lestat being here, maybe this just isn't my type of thing.
August 25, 2008
This movie is okay.The best parts are Thandie Newton smoking.She's so hot!!!!! I think that women who smoke are so sexy!!!!!
½ August 5, 2008
For pure poker, watch Rounders. For pure gangster, watch Goodfellas. But if you want to see a good mixing of the two, this is it.
March 26, 2007
I confess, it was the cast, and the $3 price tag of course, that led me to grab this one. How big of a gamble was that after all? And, I can safely give one star for every dollar spent. It wasn't great...it wasn't bad. It had a fair amount of guess work figuring out who was screwing who over and how. Thandie Newton gets to become a role model for every one who has ever wanted to teach a lesson to a pushy bastard in a bar. And, Melanie Griffith gets to do little more than look good in a few scenes. That's probably the real scam...that she may have made a sizable paycheck for this effort.
January 11, 2007
Um elenco estelar, um bom filme.

Se você ainda é fã da temática dos cassinos e dos jogos, é uma boa pedida. Se não, vocÊ irá gostar da dinâmica entre os atores, mas não espere muito.
January 5, 2007
this was better than i thought. if you see it youll get it. gabriel byrne is a good actor. stuart townsend is too. its not gerat but its a good movie.
½ September 11, 2006
One of the best poker movies i've ever seen. But those cards they use, they dont' exist... so dont' trip.
October 21, 2012
A well praised neo-noir featuring an acclaimed performance from Sylvester Stallone, Shade sounded like an interesting chance to see some good acting.

Shade is a thoroughly stylish film. It has an atmosphere which is rich with tension and moves along at a pace which is quick yet still gentle and natural. As the story elements unfold there are a lot of haracters to keep up with, but the atmosphere of the film is rich and it keeps the story consistently engaging. It makes up for a many of the flaws in the narrative, although there are many that still remain. The most predominant issue is the film's poor balance between simplicity and complexity. The film itself is simple because it stays on the path of a story which is very character driven and focused on a lot of small elements about the crime world and the game of poker, but in the process it has to deal with a lot of characters. The narrative tends to remain focused in its intentions, but it has a lot of them. It is an ambitious project which is packed to the brim with many complex characters, and in the process it becomes a challenge to keep up with all of them. Shade incures many subplots which are not all as enthralling as the central premise, and even then they mostly all relate to the game of poker in one way or another. But even then the issue is that it is repetitive. The entire film is largely a series of poker games and other minor crime related subplots, many of which are familiar and some of which are not, and there is little more to it than that. The screenplay of Shade gives the film some interesting characters and a lot of strong dialogue, but the true extent of appeal that it can reach is limited due to the simplistic story coupled with the complex narrative structure. Shade is a film which is simple and complex in its own ways, and it has a certain level of charm to it, so it works as a character driven and small scale piece. It doesn't work as much more or much less, but it is good for what it is.
Shade serves as a fine directorial debut. For his debut piece and only film to date, he does a good job harnessing the simple nature of the material and keeping it fairly consistently interesting. The surplus of characters and slow pace may weigh it down, but as a debut piece it is a fine piece of work for him. The best thing that he brings to Shade a sense of style. Everything in Shade looks legitimate thanks to good locations and production design set up which gives the film a sense of colour yet without interfering with the tense crime atmosphere of it all. Everything is shot with great cinematography as well which captures everything nicely, ranging from the etiquette details of the imagery in the film to the facial expressions of the actors. The stylish nature of Shade gives it a bit of a neo-noir feeling to it, and although it my be a bit more focused on style than on perfecting a story, a lot of the imagery in Shade is good looking and memorable enough to make up for many of the narrative flaws.
Like I said, Shade is a very character focused film. And so a lot of the success in it is predicated on what the cast can do with it. And thanks to the natural charm of each actor, they all successfully manage to pull through.
Stuart Townsend brings a sense of naive youthful charisma to his role. Surrounded by other characters who are much more experienced in the art of crime, Stuart Townsend plays the role of Vernon with great strength. The role requires him to put his natural charisma into the part, and that is exactly what he does because he keeps himself involved in the story as it develops and progresses. His effort is a most welcome one which proves how well he can work with simple and sophisticated material.
It is interesting to see Jamie Foxx in Shade. A lot of his performances capitalise on his ability to act smooth and confident under stressful situations, yet Shade plays that into the downfall of his character. His overconfidence is his weakness, and considering the egotistican nature of the character Larry Jennings, Jamie Foxx is easily able to get the right level of dramatic charisma for the role. His efforts in the film are welcome as his line delivery and physical reactions to the plot dynamics all come to him with ease.
Gabriel Byrne is also a welcome presence. Considering his legacy for gangster movies, ranging from his experiences in Miller's Crossing to The Usual Suspects, it is a welcome return to form to witness him back in a character oriented crime film. In the part of Charlie Miller, Gabriel Byrne easily puts a sense of wisdom into his role by standing confident in the part and not letting anything get him off guard. Gabriel Byrne seems ready for anything in Shade and stays consistent in the character from start to finish, so his effort is a genial one.
Sylvester Stallone makies a fine antagonist in Shade. In the role of The Dean, Sylvester Stallone goes back to the most simple character elements which are required for the part and it gives him a sense of brooding confidence. He stands strong in the part and remains appropriately subtle with a certain level of wisdom in his line delivery which makes him an intriguing character. His screen time is small, but his performance is easily memorable as it is one of hte most restrained performances he has given in a long time, so he adds to the large cast of Shade very well, and the way he interacts with the surrounding cast members is very clever.
Thandie Newton delivers a decent supporting effort as well with a lot of strong chemistry with the other characters, and Melanie Griffith does her part.

So Shade is a slow paced film with a simple premise, a repetitive story and a lot of characters to keep up with. But the stylish look of the tale and performances of the cast do their effort to keep it intriguing.
½ September 26, 2013
It's "Card Sharps" not "Card Sharks" by the way. Good movie.
½ July 26, 2013
Do not watch this if you know the references to the characters names. Also, this movie is crap.
June 15, 2013
shade is an underrated smart con movie that never ceases to entertain and with the good performances from the star studded cast shade is a surprisingly good movie