Shades of Ray Reviews

January 17, 2010
I just can't get enough of Zach Levi. His performance in this was wonderful. He tackles it with that down to earth charm that has really been the cornerstone of all his characters, especially that of Chuck. In this film he plays a Paki who is a "mutt". He tries to embrace his "white side" because it is easier. He goes for the traditional white girl to marry and it isn't until his fiance (whom hasn't given an answer if she will marry him) goes on holiday with her family that his father shows up. His father married a white woman but won't hear of that from his son. Apparently he's a "do as I say not as i do" type of individual and demands his son marry a Paki woman. From there he actually gets forced into meeting a girl who is a lot like himself and it isn't long before he starts to get a better feeling for who he is and what he wants out of life. It's a sweet and often funny at times movies. Anyone that is a fan of Zach should definitely watch this.
½ November 27, 2010
Comedy was decent, and the story was very much something different and refreshing...but I obviously had a hard time relating/identifying with characters. I thought it was pretty good though.
June 12, 2010
Petty good indie movie about mixed Pakistani/American families - of which I happen to know one of. Zach Levi is shaping up to be one of my more favorite actors and was fun to watch, but the casting is a bit of a stretch as him with a spray tan trying to pass for Pakistani doesn't really work. Neither does Sarah Shahi who is gorgeous complains about her ethnic background - but she looks like a tanned American girl to me.

Fran Kranz is doing his "Topher" impression from Dollhouse, which I hope isn't the only acting bit he can do. Brian George is like a Pakistani Peter Sellers, something about him, I"m not quite sure but he's really charming as an old-skool dad.

The ending doesn't have much payoff, but the journey getting there isn't half bad. Kudos to Netflix without which I wouldn't have known about his movie. And PBS for actually showing it late one Saturday night.
½ March 8, 2010
'Tuvo buena y muy entretenida. El sentido de humor muy bueno tambien especialmente pa'lo q vivimos en los esteiks.
August 25, 2009
I love this movie! Really entertaining. It was pretty amusing to see Zachary Levi play a Paki guy, not to mention his tan--which stopped at the jawline. But he's just so adorkable and the father and best friend were really funny. I liked the chemistry between Zach and Sarah.
½ December 29, 2009
Wonderful performances, especially from Zachary Levy. It's a sweet story, very well done and believably done. Good supporting cast and it's a pleasant twist on a traditional style love story. Sincere and well meaning.
September 9, 2013
The protagonist's trajectory resembles that of a pinball.
Ray grew up in New Jersey, but moves away to Los
Angeles.
Ray is engaged to Noel, and asks her to marry her. She delays giving him an answer until after she comes back from a vacation with her parents.
Ray's father moves in with him, and soon talks him into having dinner with Sana and her parents. Noel calls him and says yes.
Ray continues seeing Sana. Oi. Ray's mother comes out. Noel comes by when Ray is working at the bar, and the parents are both at Ray's house. Sana stops by the bar and tries to seduce Ray in the men's room.
What could possibly go wrong, and could it be fixed?

Cinematography: 7/10 Usually competent, but often just barely.

Sound: 8/10 Occasionally badly miked.

Acting: 6/10 Good except for Fran Kranz. The other actors counterbalance his badness, but he's still obnoxious.

Screenplay: 7/10 Moves along logically, except for the intervals that contain Fran Kranz.
½ January 16, 2013
Loved it :) a quick, simple, warm story about what we think we want, our differences and our shared interests and how they bring us together...
½ December 29, 2011
Honestly Zachary Levi once again plays a lovable character in Ray Rehman in 'Shades of Ray' and earns a 4.5 star rating.
½ July 31, 2011
I just love the theme of the flick. Sarah Shahi is so hot makes me wanna get a half Paki mud blood as a bride.
½ February 3, 2011
Usual Rom Com fare but a very enjoyable movie to watch. The acting was good. Kathy Baker does a great job as usual and in my mind does better than the material she had to work with. As usual some choices were a bit puzzling. The method by which the new love interest let's the main character know she is interested borders on disturbing as to its location considering the way her charater was developed in prior scenes (even given the alcohol "boundary" lowering). After seeing several movies of this genre recently I begin to wonder if some mature female consultants wouldn't be helpful to sell the reality of how women behave. The men behave in rather socially real ways if not above par; however, the women take detours into slutville. It seems the normal pace is sweet / slut / sweet.

Last thought - Main character loves one type of woman but then falls for a completely different type all without any seeming change in him. The movie touches on the change but never really sells it for my taste.
December 1, 2010
SO good! We were scanning Netflix for something cute to watch. If you like the show Chuck, the movie outsourced and really just any cute romantic comedy this is kinda a must see. Trust me you won't be disappointed. Very cute :D