44% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Shadow Puppets Reviews

Kylie B

December 28, 2008
It's as if the makers of this film read a horror textbook, and then attempted to distil it, there's so many horror clichés; the abandoned hospital/asylum, selective amnesia in victims, a faceless, shapeless monster, people who disbelieve what others say they see because "it's crazy" despite the improbability of the original situation, doors that won't open until the last minute, copious blood with no bodies.. I could go on. But does the inclusion of those things make this a bad horror film?
No. In fact, some of them could've made it a very good film. Instead, it's things like the writing and dialogue which makes this a bad film. The characters have up to three personality traits each; Amber is both crazy and horny (she's a nymphomaniac, you know), the Blalock character is both bossy and caring, and both of the black guys are violent, with one also being sexist and a right asshole (and the other dying too quickly for us to gauge anything else). This perhaps explains why some of them sometimes feel the need to state the obvious in the most obvious way possible. The actual plot as it unfolds isn't much better, it's pretty dull - but it could've worked better even without a major re-write if the characters had only been a bit more realistic and less like cardboard cut outs trying (and failing) to represent a 'cross-section' of society.
broadwaymo
broadwaymo

August 25, 2007
Really don't have much to say about this one other than it was just a B-horror flick that somehow got into our Netflix queue. Both the plot and acting were rather lame and yet it still managed to be more suspenseful than 1408 and The Number 23.
PC79
PC79

July 28, 2007
Very unusual. Gets you mind thinking in ever way.
muveeKween
April 21, 2012
I've seen a lot worse but this movie just wasn't that good. I really liked the plot but something went wrong-probably the acting and the writing. It really had a lot of potential. If you're a horror fan you should check it out.
grayavec
August 28, 2008
It's like a mix of The Cube and Resident Evil on a small budget. At least, the set is creepy, the graphics decent, and the acting slightly better than a tv movie.
WickedStar375
January 25, 2008
As it first appeared on screen with a woman screaming. Things just get more strange and odd, the more the movie progresses. But somehow it pulls its way to being a great thriller how it all comes together. It was great to see James Marsters. The only weakness I would say is having Tony Todd in it. Since his character is quite annoying and I've not really cared much for him as a actor other than for his role in "Candyman." Otherwise its not all that bad of a movie. I loved how they had originality with the characters not knowing where they were or what had happened to them. Had the ideas of Hostel and Saw, quite creepy. The special effects needed a bit of work, but I liked how they used it. Personally I was very well happy to see something interesting and new.
losingallcontrol
August 24, 2007
If James Marsters wasn't in this movie I wouldn't have sat through the whole thing. And I figured out who the master mind behind the big bad was early on, and I hate when that happens.. A few of the actors were over acting (Jolene really needs to take acting lessons) and that became annoying. *sigh*. Oh well, least James was in the whole film, so not a total waste.
June 28, 2007
The plot had potential BUT the dialogue was bad, the leading female needs to learn how to act, and it really doesn't hold my attention. It reminds me of those SciFi channel orginal movies. James Marsters gave a good performance but it wasn't enought to save this movie.
July 29, 2007
Giving it half a star was being nice... The movie was more of a comedy.... My friend and I laughed all the way through it and kept yelling for it to kill a certain character...
July 8, 2007
James MArsters put in a solid performance, if they had had a bigger budget this movie could have been really good, they could have affoded better special affects and better actors. It had a lot of potential, but was let down by budget. Great for James fans, i give it a medium on the scale between brillianta nd rubbish
April 9, 2012
I can only recommend this to those with a high tolerance for B-movies.The movie opens to a woman who couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. Her reactions coupled with inexplicable head/facial twitches are just funny. The only thing that kept me watching through the opening scene was her very nice legs... The movie kinda sorta picks up with the addition of other characters, but very definitely only kinda sorta. (As you read the preceding sentence, keep in mind that I'm a Lingusitics major...) And once the viewer finds out what really going at the facility, the story goes down the craphole.
March 1, 2012
Interesting idea, good acting, definitely a lower budget movie but they made it work, plus, casting James Marsters and Tony Todd - nothin' wrong with that.
January 14, 2011
Um... acting blows. GAY
Jemi Y.
August 24, 2009
i love my horror and this movie was great not to mention funny at the same time. its always good to have a bit of comedy to lighten things up in a tense moment.