63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

90% Outlander: Season 1

Shanghai Kiss Reviews

Nicki M

January 25, 2008
This one was a surprise. I expected some PG thing judging by the cover. This was actually quite a serious film about a Chinese American man struggling with his identity. Hayden is actually a little too sugary in the part and doesn't quite fit, but I guess her character does lighten things up a bit. I was really tempted to switch it off ten minutes in, but I'm glad I perservered with it.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

October 17, 2007
Shanghai Kiss delivers a vivid and clear message: love transcends all.

The acting was very captivating. Ken's performance warms on you as the movie goes on and he really wows you the more you see him. Hayden of course was adorable and sweet as always with her role. Her character's hope, faithfulness, and never-give-up attitude is infectious and desirable and inspirational.

Also, Ken's quest for his roots takes him back to a place that ultimately helps him to see his present place much more clearly and better than before. It's a great film about discovery and journey, sacrifice, and ultimately love.

It's too bad this film didn't really hit it on the big screen but the performances are superb and you have to love Hayden's voice - she's a great singer. And she is cute.

4 and a half stars.
Byron B

October 28, 2008
Panettiere was way too bubbly/sugary sweet. Ken Leung was alright as an Asian New Yorker, who several times kind of showed the mannerisms of Woody Allen. Ken as Liam struggles with dating. The dialog sounded like it came from a film school assignment trying to sound smart by dropping classic film quotes and trying to be "real" and idiosyncratically L.A. with all the women Liam picks up. It didn't hold my attention. I hit the fast forward, as it were, on Hulu several times.
mingsysar
mingsysar

February 22, 2009
Faintly disturbing. Panettiere is a sweetheart though.
jjb3332003
December 24, 2010
Dislikable characters drag this movie down for most of it's running length, but it gets better at the end.
July 8, 2007
Shanghai Kiss is a small budget movie that I got to see premiere at the Maui Film Festival. It's a very good film about an Asian-American man trying to find himself. It's a serious movie with a good blend of humor in it. Definately worth watching if you get the chance to see it.
mommysliger
January 14, 2009
It was so slow. I really tried to get into it but I didn't enjoy it at all. I ended up only watching 3/4 of it. Don't bother.
February 12, 2008
Hese was a movie that totally caught me by surprise. I am not Chinese, and have never been to Shangai, so cannot say how accurate this movie is on certain points - but what I can say is that it's a very fun, funny, film that I very much enjoyed.
Bengel W.
October 19, 2013
The lighting in this movie is well placed making for a beautiful image experience. Actors are cute and cuddly giving a smooth acting profile that portrays a characterization that is fun and authentic. Locations are a little bland considering the cities visited so this is more about the focus on the human aspect which lessens the visual quality. Nibbles: Peking duck and Pancakes.
September 16, 2013
There is one thing i love on this movie. That is looking at what i call the most beautiful girl on this planet earth; Hyden Panettiere.
devine-critique
December 27, 2012
Pretty funny DVD, AMWF film with Hayden.. YES PLEASE! not so believable in real life because she dates pro boxers and other muscle heads
November 13, 2012
horrible title, ---- but what a surpise! asian woody allen!
August 25, 2012
One of my favorite movies
October 15, 2007
holy crap. this movie is unexpectedly good. at first its like. WTF WHY DID I EVEN CONSIDER WTACHING THAT?! o yah. cuz kelly hu is hot (or was). but ya. wow. give it a shot. you will probably have no idea what its trying to say. nice development
December 28, 2010
Some very good performances, although direction is a little uneven. The movie is slow to get traction, but improves as it goes along. Worth seeing.
Jacky T.
June 14, 2010
I really loved this movie. I'm surprised it wasn't released in theatres.
dan s.
February 18, 2009
I was surprisingly refreshed by the story, scenery and characters of this film. Liam's character is relatable and believable and it is brought out by the supporting cast. The character Adelaide is fun, hot and mysterious and makes you want to keep watching to see what she is all about. I enjoyed this film and if you've done any travelling yourself and your parents were born anywhere other than the u.s or canada, you too will be able to connect and enjoy this movie!
jazza923
October 4, 2007
This was an unexpected surprise, this is a really well done romantic comedy with an outstanding job by the leads - Ken Leung, Hayden Panattiere and Kellu Hu. Hu is truly amazing. Very well written, excellent location footage. A very entertaining movie.