Shanghai Knights Reviews

skactopus
½ March 14, 2007
David Dobkin goes British with Shanghai Knights.105 minutes of adventure, action, and comedy sums up this picture. On top of that, it does all three without fail. The story, while obnoxious, is full of references and entertainment value. There is never a dull moment as the story pushes forward and the comedy keeps coming.The action is highly stylized and a barrel of fun. The stunt work and usage of objects generate highly amusing fights. The background music during some of these segments is worthy of note as well.From time to time, Owen Wilson comes across as cheesy; however, he blends in with the style of the film. Jackie Chan does what he does best, and that is beat the living daylights out of people. Fann Wong, Donnie Yen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and Aidan Gillen round out a solid cast of characters.Shanghai Knights succeeds in what it sets out to do, thus leading to a better than average action adventure.
TheDudeLebowski65
March 29, 2012
A tad disappointing but still good considering that Shanghai Noon was a lot of fun with great gags and action, this one is good but lacks the effectiveness of the first film. This sequel is still funny, with lots of good comic bits and the cast delivers. If you've enjoyed the first film, then you're sure to enjoy this film because of the fact that it kept most elements of the first film intact. Owen Wilson and Jackie Chan still have good chemistry and they are both very funny. As a sequel the film is pretty considering the fact that sequels are usually hit and miss. With Shanghai Knights, there's plenty to enjoy and is a good sequel that will most likely appeal to people who enjoyed the first. The film has effective comedy blended with good action that's really lots of fun. Shanghai Knights is a definite must see if you want something funny and entertaining. The best way you can view this film is pure entertainment. This is a film that really shouldn't be taken seriously, and despite the fact that it's imperfect, this is still very much a lot of fun from start to finish. Shanghai Knights is a good comedy that is supported by a good cast. I very much enjoyed the film, but is not as good as the first. However with every sequel that's to be expected. This is a fun film to watch, and like I said if you enjoyed the first, you're probably going to enjoy this one too. What made this film worth watching was the comedy that really stood out, and though not as good as the original, the film is still worth your time if you're in the mood for some silly entertainment.
½ March 18, 2012
Same thing as "Shanghai Noon" except lacking considerable charm and comedic value.
TheGame90
May 28, 2010
This is not funny...And I don't think I've ever heard Jackie Chan speak this bad english....no bullshit (pun indended)
sanjurosamurai
½ January 23, 2007
in plotting a much larger scale, the film loses some of the charm of the first. it is still very entertaining and has some laugh out loud hilarious moments. a guilty pleasure, id still love to see one more of these. fun action, solid stunts and kung fu, good humor, an all around fun time.
Kyle F.
½ July 29, 2011
It's a light-hearted, silly, and fun comedy. I remember when that was all a comedy had to be in order to be accepted. for some reason now the standard has changed, but this is still really good. I haven't seen the original, but the writing and Chan and Wilson's acting made me get a good feel for who these characters were. A few goofy historical references, 'Sherlock Holmes? What kind of name is that for a detective?' fall flat, seeing as that kind of humor was stale since it was first used, but overall charisma and sparky delivery help magnify the other, better, jokes. Fight choreography is extremely creative and manages to be both funny and riveting.
½ December 31, 2006
I saw this over Christmas a few years ago. It's a good family adventure film with a lot of comic moments. Jackie Chan steals the show with his stunts as usual.
michael e.
½ February 7, 2011
funny and great western, chinese, kung-fu action movie. Wow three words i never thought would go together
July 29, 2010
D
3niR
½ June 24, 2010
This was funny. I always love the bloopers at the end. Man they really work hard to make movies.
½ March 30, 2010
Basically more of the same, but equally as funny and entertaining. While they lost the western feel, they gained a very different English feel that compliments Owen Wilson and Jackie Chan's comedy. The rants on poor pocket thieves and interweaving of history is great.
½ May 30, 2006
Roy: So what did your dad do? Was he an imperial guard?
Chon Wang: No, much more important. He was the Keeper of the Imperial Seal.
Roy: That's what I love about China. Everybody's job description sounds so damn cool!

You can see that everyone is clearly having a good time, to not really care how ridiculous things are in this movie. fun enough.

If you care about the story: This time Chan and Wilson go to England to find the murderers of Chan's father. Fish out of water action and comedy ensues.

This film takes a step further than the last in tone, by purposefully becoming set at making clear homages to other films, using contemporary music and dialog, and being very self aware in general.

The chemistry between Chan and Wilson is fun once again, the action is cool enough, and there is even a fight between Chan and Donnie Yen. Pretty cool.

Server: Spotted dick, sir?
Roy: What?
Server: Spotted dick?
Roy: Can you believe this guy? I'm trying to get something to eat and he's asking me if I got the clap.
thmtsang
July 13, 2007
Funny action movie with Jackie and Owen. Jackie's dad is murdered and his sister is missing. They trace her to London, where they uncover a conspiracy to kill the Royal family.
August 2, 2006
Even better than the first, with clever fight scene choreography and some very funny moments, Chan manages to make another great comedy pairing with Wilson.
deano
½ December 14, 2006
The sequel to Shanghai Noon with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson are so much funny as a good team. This time, though, the martial-arts-and-wisecracks formula gets so exciting.
September 27, 2007
Just as good and faithal as the original. Great fun from start to finish. Filled with thrilling action and wonderful comedy. Wilson and Chan shine once again as an iresistable team.
July 24, 2007
My least favorite of the Jackie Chan buddy movies. A lot of the humor seemed stupid to me.
½ May 18, 2007
I love this movie. It is so funny.
puffchunk
½ May 6, 2007
If i did see it, it wasn't worth remembering.